Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Re: Would Jacoby Jones Be a Good Fit With Ravens?

I don't want to have to cut Boldin either, but at some point, you have to ask yourself are we getting what we are paying for.

60-70 receptions for 900 yards isn't worth a $9+ million cap number IMHO. And he's at that age where he is on the decline.

We hear all the talk about how some of Joe's struggles are because none of his WR's get open...that includes Boldin.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Both Jones and Boldin will be in the last years of their deals, so any restructure would come with a new signing bonus and added years. Not sure they will want to possibly make that kind of longer term, financial commitment to a KR/3rd WR and not sure they will want to add years - at the expense of future Cap dollars - for Boldin.
    The Ravens face a number of difficult choices at WR not only because of monetary/cap concerns, but also because of pure on-field performance. We know Torrey Smith is locked into a starting job and will be with the team next year, Tandon Doss is in the mix, and I would be surprised if Tommy Streeter didn't round out the bottom of the depth chart next year. Those are your known quantities. Beyond that is uncertain.

I agree with you that Jones and Boldin are difficult contract situations for the team. Does the team keep either, or both? In terms of on-field performance, Jones IMO has impressed to the degree that it's not out of the question to ask if he should be a starter. However, if he were to start, I doubt Harbaugh would want to keep him at both PR and KR full-time--that's too much of a workload especially given that he's already giving up some time at #3 WR to Doss.

Boldin is best playing the slot full-time, but in that context does he really offer 6m more worth of value above Tandon Doss? In limited action Doss has also been quite impressive IMO, with perhaps the best hands on the team and comparable YAC ability. If Doss is ready to step up and replace Boldin do you let Boldin go and keep Jones including a possible restructure?

I guess the bottom line is I don't think you keep both contract-year WRs, and Jones may be the more likely of the two. I never would have thought I'd say that last August, and I still love Boldin, but the team has to make a business decision. I like a depth chart of Smith-Jones-Doss-Streeter-Williams (and/or Thompson, depending on if they keep 6.)

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I don't want to have to cut Boldin either, but at some point, you have to ask yourself are we getting what we are paying for.

60-70 receptions for 900 yards isn't worth a $9+ million cap number IMHO. And he's at that age where he is on the decline.

We hear all the talk about how some of Joe's struggles are because none of his WR's get open...that includes Boldin.
    When teams have gone press-man and shut down Boldin and Smith, it seems to me that Jacoby Jones has been the one WR who still was able to get open and do damage. vs. Philly in week 2 he was getting off the jam on the outside and getting open very well. He would have torched Asomugha for 2 TDs and a lot of yards if not for the BS OPI call.

I'd like to get some savings out of Boldin for sure...whichever method we choose.
    I could definitely live with Doss in the slot. I just hope he's not all fragile like DWill back in the day. We'll find out with more snaps...which I hope to see as the season moves along. Right now, he's developing, but I'd like to see him statistically perform more.

FWIW, he ran 4.5s at his personal pro day, so the speed is there, and the hands look pretty sure.

Blog Entries

I think Boldin is not suited for this stupid offense. If we ran a Pro Set/ West Coast hybrid of some type, he'd be fine. You need burners to get open in the Cam Coryell....

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Exactly. That's the $6M question!

I'm not saying that they will release him, but with their Cap situation, it's definitely a possibility. Not having him around will be a loss - big loss, IMO, because of his veteran presence and the respect other teams have for him - but, at a $6M base salary, you have to wonder.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Thanks to Cam (here we go again!) we never got the Boldin we thought we'd get. From a value perspective, Doss can probably give us a good return on our cap investment. Our D is mired in the past (Ray, Ed), let's hope the O can stay young and exciting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    I think Boldin is not suited for this stupid offense. If we ran a Pro Set/ West Coast hybrid of some type, he'd be fine. You need burners to get open in the Cam Coryell....
    Agreed.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    I'll gladly be wrong about Jones being a bad signing. I just keep my expectations for him at rock bottom because I know he's got an inconsistent track record. In my mind anything we get from him is extra.
    With all due respect we're in game 10. He is going to drop a pass or two. I don't know what would be inconsistent for him after 10 games. He has performed better than he has in Houston, and he's had plenty of chances to show inconsistency. He has yet to do so here.

I was one that was good with signing him. I thought he was better than what he was in Houston, and definitely better than Housh or Evans. I'm just glad he's proving that.

Blog Entries

With all this said about Boldin, when he gets going he takes over games. We've seen this, he can put in performances where he just bitchslaps CBs, and he is still capable of that. I don't think he's done, but he probably just needs to be employed more thoughtfully.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    With all this said about Boldin, when he gets going he takes over games. We've seen this, he can put in performances where he just bitchslaps CBs, and he is still capable of that. I don't think he's done, but he probably just needs to be employed more thoughtfully.
    Agreed.

Boldin is still probably our best receiver and shows up when the team needs him to in clutch situations. Look at the Cleveland game, he came up big with that reception in the TD drive which won us the game, and when he can be used correctly, IMO he is actually worth the money. The problem is, if you cut Jacoby Jones and Boldin, and go with Tandon Doss, and a draft pick to replace them, you are probably going to see a down year from Flacco, like in 2011 when he lost Heap and Mason. If the Ravens are going to pay Flacco big bucks, they are going to need him to back the money up with better statistics, and I'm just not quite sure if Doss is going to be good enough.

They are not going to cut Jones and Boldin.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.