Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Amani Toomer calls out Kurt Warner

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-of-football/

This was in response to a couple of days (weeks?) ago when Kurt Warner said he'd never let his sons play football, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Kurt Warner needs to keep his opinions to himself when it comes to this. Everything that he’s gotten in his life has come from playing football. He works at the NFL Network right now. For him to try and trash the game, it seems to me that it’s just a little disingenuous to me.

Nothing against Kurt Warner, but I tend to agree with Toomer on this one. Prior to his success with the Rams he was an NFL castoff for a while in the NFL Europe and I actually believe he was working as an assistant manager at a grocery store or something.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: Amani Toomer calls out Kurt Warner

Warner comes off as kind of a douche at times. I dont know how you can be bitter towrds the game/league that gave you riches, especially being healthy as well. He was so pissed off about that bounty gate saying they were dirty when the guy gave him a clear shot when he was eunning towards the play. Instead of crying about it he should have acknowledged for what it was and moved on. Same with this.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Agreed, he isn't really a great analyst either, not a fan of him at all.

So according to Toomer, Warner is wrong to share his opinion, and we know this because Toomer...shared...his opinion?

Dude... Warner is allowed to believe that athletes have advanced faster than pad and helmet technology. I personally don't think I'll let my kid play unless I see some major advances in helmet tech between now and when he gets to middle school. That doesn't mean I'm trashing the game, and it doesn't make me a hypocrite even though I played in my day.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    So according to Toomer, Warner is wrong to share his opinion, and we know this because Toomer...shared...his opinion?

Dude... Warner is allowed to believe that athletes have advanced faster than pad and helmet technology. I personally don't think I'll let my kid play unless I see some major advances in helmet tech between now and when he gets to middle school. That doesn't mean I'm trashing the game, and it doesn't make me a hypocrite even though I played in my day.
    But football has given him so much in return. If he is so against his kids playing it, why didn't he quit football when he wasn't so good and famous over here in Europe? Fact is, he's lucky from where he came from, to where he is today working in the NFL network looking back on a very good career in football too. Obviously he had a huge part in that, working hard him self to become a SB winning QB and all that, but without the NFL, his family would not be in the very fortunate position they are in now.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    But football has given him so much in return. If he is so against his kids playing it, why didn't he quit football when he wasn't so good and famous over here in Europe?
    Because concussion information is only just now coming out, especially for laymen like Kurt and us folk who didn't go to med school. I'm sure that Kurt is grateful for what he's gotten from football, but I bet if he knew then about the dangers of brain damage that we know now, he might have stuck to selling insurance and stocking shelves. And he's not out of the brain damage woods yet. He had a few concussions in his career... he's in an elevated risk group to develop early onset Alzheimer's and dementia.

And I don't understand how he's doing anything wrong for viewing it now, as a parent, and with more information about the likelihood of severe brain injuries from play, to say that he doesn't want his children playing. Everyone has the right to decide how to raise their kids. He's not saying no one should play. He's saying that knowing now what he does about the risks, he doesn't want HIS kids to play. In wake of the death of Junior Seau, and the likely connection his suicide had to brain injuries suffered as a player, I think Kurt has every right to be cognizant of the risks involved in football.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Because concussion information is only just now coming out, especially for laymen like Kurt and us folk who didn't go to med school. I'm sure that Kurt is grateful for what he's gotten from football, but I bet if he knew then about the dangers of brain damage that we know now, he might have stuck to selling insurance and stocking shelves. And he's not out of the brain damage woods yet. He had a few concussions in his career... he's in an elevated risk group to develop early onset Alzheimer's and dementia.

And I don't understand how he's doing anything wrong for viewing it now, as a parent, and with more information about the likelihood of severe brain injuries from play, to say that he doesn't want his children playing. Everyone has the right to decide how to raise their kids. He's not saying no one should play. He's saying that knowing now what he does about the risks, he doesn't want HIS kids to play. In wake of the death of Junior Seau, and the likely connection his suicide had to brain injuries suffered as a player, I think Kurt has every right to be cognizant of the risks involved in football.
    Agreed 100%

Blog Entries

I've been listening to a lot of Amani Toomer on SiriusXM NFL radio, though I did miss this. He's very honest. One of the things he said last week was that he is glad he waited until after his career was over before having kids. He said they would have players kid day at camp every years and these kids couldn't pick their Dads out of a lineup. Toomer said that most just didn't see them enough to have a deep relationship. The other host asked Toomer if the other players made a big deal over the kids so they would feel special. Toomer said no, that it was just another distraction from work and annoying. It was an interesting thing as a fan to listen to.

Blog Entries

Warner's football story is one of the greateast you'll ever hear.

He does seem very worried about how he might've gotten hurt badly, although he usually says it's his family that is/was worried. I don't have a problem with him speaking his mind but it does make him look pretty timid.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

The risk of concussions and getting Alzheimer's later on in your life vs playing a sport that you love doing and possibly earning millions to do it, and maybe even have a coaching or media career after you finish with the sport, take your pick. I haven't had kids or plan to until I leave the Army, but at the end of the day, it's your kids decision, if he/she really wants to do something (providing it isn't anything illegal) then IMO you can't just stop him from doing it.

Blog Entries

Warner can give his opinion based on his experiences, but it would appear that Toomer is looking at it from the stance that being blessed enough to play pro football has given him millions of dollars, notoriety, and a lifestyle for his family that he probably never could have achieved without it.

Warner's opionions may come across as bashing the sport to some and a lot of guys just don't have anything else, so it's almost like a personal attack for Toomer. If Warner is not going to "allow" his sons to play football I can understand why it may come across like Warner feels like his progeny is too good for football.

If you're going to say stuff (are you listening Coach Harbaugh?!) that the media can twist and others can misinterpret then you need to be prepared for backlash and playing defense. I think Warner could have really worded his thoughts a lot differently, though I do understand where he's coming from.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Warner's football story is one of the greateast you'll ever hear.

He does seem very worried about how he might've gotten hurt badly, although he usually says it's his family that is/was worried. I don't have a problem with him speaking his mind but it does make him look pretty timid.
    It can also be misconstrued as very arrogant.