Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Ravens did not address speed on offense

I was hoping the Ravens would have drafted Lamar Miller from Miami at RB instead of Pierce with the 3rd pick. Not saying that Pierce is a bad player but he is a 6ft tall back. Usually tall backs do not tend to do well in the NFL because there center of gravity is pretty high. Eddie George may have been the most succesful 6ft+ RB in NFL history. D. McFadden maybe the lastest RB to fit this criteria of taller backs not performing well in the leauge.

Speed kills on offense and with Cam Cameron black and white plays calls we could use more speed on offense. More guys that can make defenders miss in the open field like Ray Rice. Or blow past coverages like Torrey Smith. Lamar Miller would have been perfect for us because he is capable of big plays and pulling away from defenders. A homerun hitter. I know we drafted a speed WR out of Miami but with Cam Cameron playcalling if your not the Number 1 or 2 reciever you will hardly get targets so i dont know how much of an impact Streeter will be.

We did not take a step foward in updating out offense this off season so far. No to mention Ray Rice still not signed. With Cam Cameron lack of creativity, speed will be our best friend on offense.

Re: Ravens did not address speed on offense

And Anothy Allen is a big brusing type back i thought would be perfect for taking Ricki Williams spot. Dont know why they would draft at RB espeically, for the same type of players they already have on the roster.

Seems pretty similar to me

Name: *Lamar Miller (+) Coming off shoulder injury
    College: Miami Number: 6
    Height: 5-11 Weight: 212
    Position: RB Pos2: KR
    Class/Draft Year: rSo/2012
    40 Time: 4.40 40 Low: 4.32 40 High: 4.52

Name: *Bernard Pierce (+) Coming off concussion
    College: Temple Number: 30
    Height: 6-0 Weight: 218
    Position: RB Pos2:
    Class/Draft Year: Jr/2012
    40 Time: 4.49 40 Low: 4.36 40 High: 4.59
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mommathurgoesthatman View Post
    I was hoping the Ravens would have drafted Lamar Miller from Miami at RB instead of Pierce with the 3rd pick. Not saying that Pierce is a bad player but he is a 6ft tall back. Usually tall backs do not tend to do well in the NFL because there center of gravity is pretty high. Eddie George may have been the most succesful 6ft+ RB in NFL history. D. McFadden maybe the lastest RB to fit this criteria of taller backs not performing well in the leauge.

Speed kills on offense and with Cam Cameron black and white plays calls we could use more speed on offense. More guys that can make defenders miss in the open field like Ray Rice. Or blow past coverages like Torrey Smith. Lamar Miller would have been perfect for us because he is capable of big plays and pulling awaying from defenders. I know we drafted a speed WR out of Miami but with Cam Cameron playcalling if your not the Number 1 or 2 reciever you will hardly get targets so i dont know how much of an impact Streeter will be.

We did not take a step foward in updating out offense this off season so far. No to mention Ray Rice still not signed. With Cam Cameron lack of creativity, speed will be our best friend on offense.
    Let me say this...I liked Lamar Miller a lot. However, it would not surprise me if he was off the board because of his numerous shoulder problems. He also had fumbling problems and was taken out in the red zone and short yardage situations.

And the 6' argument is retarded.

Current backs 6ft tall and up...

Arian Foster
    Steven Jackson
    Matt Forte
    Adrian Peterson
    Willis McGahee
    Cedric Benson
    Beanie Wells

RB's who are 1 damn inch shorter...
    Chris Johnson
    Marshawn Lynch
    Ben Tate

So 2 of the top 3 all purpose backs are 6ft and up...yet there aren't many that do well in the league?

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Let me say this...I liked Lamar Miller a lot. However, it would not surprise me if he was off the board because of his numerous shoulder problems. He also had fumbling problems and was taken out in the red zone and short yardage situations.

And the 6' argument is retarded.

Current backs 6ft tall and up...

Arian Foster
    Steven Jackson
    Matt Forte
    Adrian Peterson
    Willis McGahee
    Cedric Benson
    Beanie Wells

RB's who are 1 damn inch shorter...
    Chris Johnson
    Marshawn Lynch
    Ben Tate

So 2 of the top 3 all purpose backs are 6ft and up...yet there aren't many that do well in the league?
    Im just saying the ravens went for power instead of speed. Pierce is a zone RB. One cut and go. Ravens should have went flat out speed and quickness for RB. Taller backs get hurt more because of the high center of gravity. And from the tape I seen on Pierce he runs pretty high.

The Ravens already have a one cut and go guy.

He wears #27.

Im just saying the ravens went for power instead of speed. Pierce is a zone RB. One cut and go. Ravens should have went flat out speed and quickness for RB. Taller backs get hurt more because of the high center of gravity. And from the tape I seen on Pierce he runs pretty high.
    There is more to being a good RB than flat out speed. That's an Al Davis way of thinking.

And Pierce is more than fast enough...running a sub 4.5 40 is pretty fast for a RB.

Eddie George may have been the most succesful 6ft+ RB in NFL history.
    Yeah, Eddie Freaking George has it all over that Jim Brown guy (6'2"). And Eric Dickerson (6'3"), Marcus Allen (6'2"), Franco Harris (6'2"), Fred Taylor (6'1"), John Riggins (6'2"), Corey Dillon (6'1"), O. J. Simpson (6'2"), and Ricky Watters (6'1"), even though they're all ahead of him on the career rushing list.

UFB.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    The Ravens already have a one cut and go guy.

He wears #27.
    The problem with a zone blocking system is that all of your backs need to be one cut and go guys unless you want someone in a Sproles type of role, or a goal line/short yardage back.
    "Flacco stepping up and throwing deep down the far sideline... CAUGHT!!! Into the endzone, TOUCHDOWN JACOBY JONES!!!!!"

Blog Entries

4.4 is pretty moving for a 218 pound guy. Just saying. As for going power instead of speed, how man 3rd and short and 4th and short did Rice fail to pick up this year? How many endzone stuffs were there? I'll take power as a compliment back any day of the week. We pride ourselves on Smashmouth football, yet we get stuffed at the 1 yard line on 4 plays? Unacceptable.

Blog Entries

Bernard Pierce ran a 4.38 at his pro day which is pretty damn impressive. Ray Rice is pretty damn quick, I don't get your point tbh.

His speed running to the edge is elite IMO. I suggest you do your home work on tall RB's, most of the top RB's in the league right now are over 6'0.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    4.4 is pretty moving for a 218 pound guy. Just saying. As for going power instead of speed, how man 3rd and short and 4th and short did Rice fail to pick up this year? How many endzone stuffs were there? I'll take power as a compliment back any day of the week. We pride ourselves on Smashmouth football, yet we get stuffed at the 1 yard line on 4 plays? Unacceptable.
    +1

Rice is a very pedestrian short yardage back. The ravens need a power back to handle the tough short yardage/goaline duties. I love the pick and think pierce could be a great compliment to rice. We got faster last year with torrey...just need to find somebody with speed to line up opposite him. RB position is looking good.