The Real History of Robert Irsay

For those that need to know the Real story of why the Baltimore Colts left.

Now You See Him, Now You Don't
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Re: The Real History of Robert Irsay

I have read this article a few times over the years...it always makes an impression. Although, frankly, I am not sure anything really could have been done differently with regards to Irsay and the Colts. If you've read Steadman's From Colts to Ravens, you will know that Irsay was never a fan of the city and always saw himself as an outsider. The seeds of his departure were there on day one.

Re-reading this article, two thoughts come to mind.

First, I can't imagine what the people in the Colts organization (especially the old-timers that had been there from 1952 through the Colts' glory years) must have thought and went through as they worked day-to-day with this person and watched as all that they had built was torn down and eventually taken away. That must have been very sad.

Second, while the NFL has some fairly odd characters as owners (Bidwell in Arizona, Glazer in TB, Brown in Cincy)...they look like model stewards of the league compared to Irsay....I truly wonder if an owner like him would be acceptable in today's "corporatized" NFL? I suspect the league would find a way get him out of the league - well compensated to be sure - but out of the league nonetheless.
    Last edited by PeterB58; 04-27-2012 at 02:57 PM.

Blog Entries

Re: The Real History of Robert Irsay

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB58 View Post

Second, while the NFL has some fairly odd characters as owners (Bidwell in Arizona, Glazer in TB, Brown in Cincy)...they look like model stewards of the league compared to Irsay....I truly wonder if an owner like him would be acceptable in today's "corporatized" NFL? I suspect the league would find a way get him out of the league - well compensated to be sure - but out of the league nonetheless.
    PB I have thought the same thing many times--more specifically, How could such a buttoned down league like the NFL (even back then) let in a clown like Irsay? The only real answer I could come up with is that Carroll Rosenbloom had so much pull that the league let Irsay in simply to complete the trade Rosenbloom wanted--Trading the Colts for the Rams, so he could move to LA and not incur a huge tax bill on the gain on his sale of the Colts. Since the trade was a "like kind exchange" CR could defer his tax bill.

Once again greed reigns supreme in the NFL.