Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by madmikey View Post
    They'll get a decent comp pick even if he walks eventually (3rd or 4th). The Steelers hold all the cards. Wallace is pretty much screwed unless another team ponies up, which won't happen.
    True. That's even more reason for the Steelers not to take anything less than a 1st round pick.

Blog Entries

Re: What do we think of this little story?

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    True. That's even more reason for the Steelers not to take anything less than a 1st round pick.
    2nd is still better than a 3rd and i could see a team throwing in a 4th or 5th in that case as well. I still dont think it happens because the guy just isnt worth the money he wants and a contract would have to be in place first before the trade.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Looking like steelers have another player who believes in having a lot of drama going on. Steelers could implode this year with another drama queen. Ben won't be happy having the media fawning over wallaces problems. Can't blame wallace for getting whatever he can at his age. If another team pays up, the steelers still have brown and resigned cotchery. Next man up is the Ravens motto.
    They also have Sanders. Losing Wallace would hurt them but it shouldn't cripple them. The Steelers have almost no reason to cave in this situation, especially with Brown and Sanders hitting RFA next year. It would set a bad precedent.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    2nd is still better than a 3rd and i could see a team throwing in a 4th or 5th in that case as well. I still dont think it happens because the guy just isnt worth the money he wants and a contract would have to be in place first before the trade.
    I'd rather have the player for a year and get a 3rd than lose him and get a 2nd. Especially in a mediocre draft. It's very possible that a 2013 3rd pick will be a better quality prospect than a 2012 2nd round pick.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I'd rather have the player for a year and get a 3rd than lose him and get a 2nd. Especially in a mediocre draft. It's very possible that a 2013 3rd pick will be a better quality prospect than a 2012 2nd round pick.
    good point. im just not sure hes worth the headaches if he pulls a desean jackson.

OT, how the hell did that guy get paid by the eagles after all that BS? horrible move.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    good point. im just not sure hes worth the headaches if he pulls a desean jackson.

OT, how the hell did that guy get paid by the eagles after all that BS? horrible move.
    The Eagles didn't have the depth at receiver that the Steelers have. I'm not sure they had much choice but to give Jackson what he wanted.

It could get interesting if Wallace decides to hold out into training camp. I am assuming that the trade would be for a 2nd and a 5th or maybe a 2nd a 3rd next year. I don't see anyway that the Steelers hold onto him past this year. Not sure on how the cap numbers work with franchising a player for a 2nd year but I imagine the number is going to be around 9m. The Steelers pushed their cap issues out from this year to later years. In doing so they are not going to have too many players they can restructure again next year. Brown is going to get a first round tender which will probably be close to 3m like Webb this year. Probably a significant raise over this year as brown was a 6th rounder.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    It could get interesting if Wallace decides to hold out into training camp. I am assuming that the trade would be for a 2nd and a 5th or maybe a 2nd a 3rd next year. I don't see anyway that the Steelers hold onto him past this year. Not sure on how the cap numbers work with franchising a player for a 2nd year but I imagine the number is going to be around 9m. The Steelers pushed their cap issues out from this year to later years. In doing so they are not going to have too many players they can restructure again next year. Brown is going to get a first round tender which will probably be close to 3m like Webb this year. Probably a significant raise over this year as brown was a 6th rounder.
    They didn't Franchise Wallace this year so that higher tag number for 2 years in a row won't be an issue.

Blog Entries

When they have to tag him next year, that is when this will get interesting.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    When they have to tag him next year, that is when this will get interesting.
    I don't think they will tag him. The Steelers have let other big receivers walk in the past and they've done fine. Plax left, everyone forecast doom and nothing really changed. Holmes left, same deal - everything was fine. They can live without Wallace.

I think they'll pay Brown and let Wallace walk next year (and take their 3rd round comp pick).

Wallace really can't win here. If he holds out or sulks, his stats take a hit and when he hits UFA next year he'll cost himself millions. Meanwhile the Steelers already have 3 solid WRs - they're better with Wallace but they're not crippled without him.

Since the Steelers would get a 3rd round pick when he walks as a UFA they're not going to deal him now for anything less than a 1st. It makes no sense.

If Wallace wants to go to another team he's going to have to convince that team to pony up the 1st round pick. And if they don't he'll have to sign his tender and have a great year to get his big deal next year.

Ultimately this is just a bunch of noise coming from his agent which will likely result in absolutely nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by madmikey View Post
    I don't think they will tag him. The Steelers have let other big receivers walk in the past and they've done fine. Plax left, everyone forecast doom and nothing really changed. Holmes left, same deal - everything was fine. They can live without Wallace.

I think they'll pay Brown and let Wallace walk next year (and take their 3rd round comp pick).

Wallace really can't win here. If he holds out or sulks, his stats take a hit and when he hits UFA next year he'll cost himself millions. Meanwhile the Steelers already have 3 solid WRs - they're better with Wallace but they're not crippled without him.

Since the Steelers would get a 3rd round pick when he walks as a UFA they're not going to deal him now for anything less than a 1st. It makes no sense.

If Wallace wants to go to another team he's going to have to convince that team to pony up the 1st round pick. And if they don't he'll have to sign his tender and have a great year to get his big deal next year.

Ultimately this is just a bunch of noise coming from his agent which will likely result in absolutely nothing.
    if had a low draft pcik in the first round and in needed a WR i would take wallace. why take the chance wiht an unproven commodity when you can get a sure thing.