Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Greg Cosell...very good article about premium positions in this age of the NFL. Is LT still a premium position?

Link

...As the NFL game has transitioned over the years, there have been four positions universally viewed as priority positions — quarterback and left tackle on offense, and pass rusher (defensive end or outside linebacker depending on the scheme) and cornerback on defense. That’s been the gospel for quite a while now.

Which of those would be dropped from the list if there were only three priority positions? Of course, the most important position is quarterback. That’s inarguable. What about left tackle? Think about this: the past four Super Bowl-winning left tackles were David Diehl (a former fifth-round pick at guard), Chad Clifton (second round), Jermon Bushrod (fourth round) and Max Starks (third round). The quarterbacks on those championship teams were Eli Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Ben Roethlisberger, each likely on anyone’s short list of the top quarterbacks in the NFL....

Blog Entries

Re: Greg Cosell...very good article about premium positions in this age of the NFL. Is LT still a premium position?

I've been saying this in the draft thread. I would not draft a tackle or probably anyone on the OLine with a top ten pick. I guess the only exception would be if you think the guy is a 10 year stud but even then it would have to be lower in the top ten.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Re: Greg Cosell...very good article about premium positions in this age of the NFL. Is LT still a premium position?

Diehl was playing out of position due to injury only. Rodgers and Brees get the ball out probably the quickest in the NFL of anybody and minimizes pass blocking deficiencies and Roethlisberger is Roethlisberger, Hell run around and make something out of nothing no matter who is in front of him. I think LT is absolutely an important position and its rare to find an above average one outside the top 10-15.
    -JAB

Another thing to consider ... top teams rarely draft high enough to snag a top LT. This likely contributes to the correlation Cosell is pointing to, though I'm sure there are exceptions.

Blog Entries

What's interesting is that none of those Tackles were 1st round picks but 3 of the 4 QBs were 1st round picks. The 4th QB, Brees would have been a 1st round pick if they had the current number of teams been around in 2001.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    Another thing to consider ... top teams rarely draft high enough to snag a top LT. This likely contributes to the correlation Cosell is pointing to, though I'm sure there are exceptions.
    This plays a role in the assessment as well. These teams don't get the Jake Long and Joe Thomas type of prospects. That doesn't mean that some sort of protection is not needed. The only exception is Roethlisberger, because he can withstand the hits and still avoid being taken down.

I think there is too much being made about what position is worthy of a high pick and which is not. If you think the guy is going to make multiple All-Pro teams, you take him.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Disagree. If you think a guy can lock down LT for 10 years, he's worth anything up to and including the #1 overall pick. You could make the same argument about CB--last year the Giants had one of the worst rated secondaries in the league, New Orleans in 09 as well, and Pittsburgh has NEVER had top tier corners outside of Ike Taylor, who isn't all that great anyway.

Four years isn't a large sample size, relatively speaking, but I think you can win with an adequate LT. Doesn't mean you don't take the next JO in the top 5 or top 10. BPA.
    't
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

I think people try to compartmentalize this whole thing and it just isn't that simple. It takes a team to win, and it takes good management to fit a decent team under the cap restrictions. You just can't have great players in every position.

If left tackle is so important, what's with Cleveland? They've got a pretty good one.

Blog Entries

I think they won in spite of their left tackles. You don't need left tackles to win superbowls, but it sure as hell helps. If you have a shot at a legit left tackle in the draft, I'm taking him.

However do I think we can win the SB with Bryant McKinnie as our starting LT? Of course I do. Do I think our chances are better with a Joe Thomas type left tackle? I don't think anyone needs to answer that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Diehl was playing out of position due to injury only. Rodgers and Brees get the ball out probably the quickest in the NFL of anybody and minimizes pass blocking deficiencies and Roethlisberger is Roethlisberger, Hell run around and make something out of nothing no matter who is in front of him. I think LT is absolutely an important position and its rare to find an above average one outside the top 10-15.
    True, BUT, William Beatty was initially the starting LT for the G-Men and he was taken 60th overall in the 2009 draft.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    True, BUT, William Beatty was initially the starting LT for the G-Men and he was taken 60th overall in the 2009 draft.
    but was he good enough or would he have been a liability? He was a TE as recently as the year before so im not sure how he would have turned out. Diehl is a great guard and actually played pretty well at T both times he was asked to play it. I guess thats something that could be said about taking a top G that has height to play T, its always possibly they fill in when needed.
    -JAB