Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Ummmm...How did we do this?

If we really only had about $5M in cap space, how did we just sign four veterans (Graham, Considine, Ayanbadejo and McClain) in one day and maintain enough cap space to protect Webb? I don't think we all know the numbers yet, but isn't the vet minimum $925k? If that's the case, we would only have about $1.6M in cap space left at the most right? Is that going to be enough to protect Webb if a front-heavy deal for him comes through? (I am guessing that the Ravens have figured that RFAs are not going to be raided the way we once thought they would be.)

Also, would this mean that our draft is going to prioritize OL, is that right? If Konz and Hightower are there, which way do we go?

The first round tender is doing more to protect Webb than the cap.

Re: Ummmm...How did we do this?

Tender amounts are already figured into the $5m in cap space figure. Webb's 1st round tender remains in place.

The salary cap is not an unstoppable monster to which the Ravens have no response. They can do plenty of tinkering with contracts to free up space if they have to. Long-term extensions for Flacco, Rice, and/or Webb would probably free up space, as would simple re-structures for a number of other players.

"The Ravens only have $5m in cap space so they can't sign anyone or do anything" meme isn't really worth paying attention to. If the Ravens want a guy they'll make an offer and shift resources around as necessary, end of story.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Tender amounts are already figured into the $5m in cap space figure. Webb's 1st round tender remains in place.

The salary cap is not an unstoppable monster to which the Ravens have no response. They can do plenty of tinkering with contracts to free up space if they have to. Long-term extensions for Flacco, Rice, and/or Webb would probably free up space, as would simple re-structures for a number of other players.

"The Ravens only have $5m in cap space so they can't sign anyone or do anything" meme isn't really worth paying attention to. If the Ravens want a guy they'll make an offer and shift resources around as necessary, end of story.
    Right -- so the total cap space to protect Webb would be $2.6M (the tender amount) plus $1.6M for a total of $4.2M right?

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post

Wouldn't long term deals for Flacco and Webb eat cap space as they are both on their relatively cheap rookie contracts/RFA Tender.
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pyite32 View Post
    Wouldn't long term deals for Flacco and Webb eat cap space as they are both on their relatively cheap rookie contracts/RFA Tender.
    I think Flacco's cap space number is around $6M for this year and Webb's is $2.6M. Long term deals could ostensibly reduce those numbers by spreading out the cap hit over multiple years via bonus/incentives, etc.

Blog Entries

For what it would take to get Webb away from the Ravens, he has all of the protection he needs.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Stop worrying about losing Webb, nobody is going to give up a first round for him.

Because of the Rule of 51, each of these signings will cause the removal of another player from the top 51 salaries.

So, there will essentially be a credit of $1.56M (4 x $390K) against what the 4 new guys will count.
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 03-23-2012 at 04:07 PM.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    If we really only had about $5M in cap space, how did we just sign four veterans (Graham, Considine, Ayanbadejo and McClain) in one day and maintain enough cap space to protect Webb?
    Also, would this mean that our draft is going to prioritize OL, is that right? If Konz and Hightower are there, which way do we go?
    (a) HoustonRaven already posted that his 1st round tender should protect him more than the cap. But let's put that aside for the moment. Are you not happy that Ozzie, with $5 mil. in cap space, signed these four guys? I'm overjoyed that we have such a patient man as GM, who waits until the time is right to sign players. Do you realize that he restocked I/MLB, Dbackfield, and Special Teams in one day?
    (b) This certainly puts less emphasis on I/MLB in the draft, and IMO would shift it more towards Oline help. AND I still see a WR being drafted by the 3rd round... Bc

Those of us who aren't involved in submitting Salary Cap calculations to the NFL are only guessing at how the system works and the numbers are calculated. Don't try to out think and out calculate Oz!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Because of the Rule of 51, each of these signings will cause the removal of another player from the top 51 salaries.

So, there will essentially be a credit of $1.56M (4 x $390K) against what the 4 new guys will count.
    I wasn't aware of that - thanks for the info

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!