Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Re: Eddie Royal to Chargers

Jason LaCanfora is reporting the same thing on his blog at nfl.com.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/03/15/char...terms-on-deal/

The wr market has been crazy this year.

The Chargers are making some splashy moves.

But there goes the 'Eddie Royal to Baltimore' train. Guess it's time for us to find another Stallworth/Housh/Evans.

Blog Entries

I'm very curious to see what the money looks like

I for one would be ok with bringing back Evans.
    I think he will be better than what he showed us last year...just being healthy would do that.
    I also think he will have the intestinal fortitude to make amends for the drop. We should also be able to get him at a very friendly cost

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JettRavensSuperPup View Post
    I think he will be better than what he showed us last year...just being healthy would do that.
    I also think he will have the intestinal fortitude to make amends for the drop. We should also be able to get him at a very friendly cost
    How do you know Evans will be able to stay healthy?

Quote Originally Posted by JettRavensSuperPup View Post
    That might be a possibility, but Biscotti has made it prretty clear that he wants to get the younger guys on the field during their first contract so the Ravens don't end up developing players - only to see them leave as they begin to come into their own. Getting them on the field early in their careers would allow the Ravens to really know what they have drafted. That seems to be a change (or maybe a difference in philosophy) from what the coaching staff has been doing the past few years with rookies. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Ravens draft a WR at some point and just go with what they have.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    How do you know Evans will be able to stay healthy?
    We don't, and it's likely that he won't, based on his age and the past two seasons he's played.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    That might be a possibility, but Biscotti has made it prretty clear that he wants to get the younger guys on the field during their first contract so the Ravens don't end up developing players - only to see them leave as they begin to come into their own. Getting them on the field early in their careers would allow the Ravens to really know what they have drafted. That seems to be a change (or maybe a difference in philosophy) from what the coaching staff has been doing the past few years with rookies. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Ravens draft a WR at some point and just go with what they have.
    That was a shot at the coaching staff. This regime has notoriously kept their rookies and young players off the field, except for special teams. Had Evans not been hurt last year, we would have never known what Torrey Smith could do.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Yep, bingo. I'd be surprised if they shell out for a FA receiver. At most, a cheap end of season purchase for depth. We had a green corps of receivers last year with only two veterans. Made it to the AFC championship with that, questionable playcalling and a patchwork line. One of those two veterans dropped the tickets to Indy.

Draft looks to be the way to go - maybe a mid round pick for a big guy if they can. it's worked for Pit and GB, why not us? Torrey's success may be the change to recent WR evaluation issues. *cross fingers*

In addition to this, Pat Kirwan made an interesting point:

'9. NFL teams must be leery of wide receivers in the draft class: Nine veteran free-agent wide receivers got contracts before the third day of free agency was even over, and there's more than $100 million in guarantees. It sounds like clubs didn't like the depth in the receiver class of the draft.'

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1...ut-free-agency

That may signal bad news for the Ravens - or it may signal an opportunity. If other franchises are putting up their noses at the WR class, more of a chance to find good value in the draft.
    Last edited by Tyrian; 03-16-2012 at 08:43 AM.

Blog Entries

ive said all along that Evans will be a last resort type signing and feel he has something to prove to us fans. Not a bad last resort as he is better than what he showed last year, but there is still some better options available and hell have to wait to see who else falls through the cracks.
    -JAB