Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

First Free Agent Report for the Ravens

Finally news about the Ravens looking to sign a free agent. And the player is......Matt Birk. Not exactly a sexy name. Since Birk said he would only come back to the Ravens did they really have to wait until free agency to do this?

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescri...k/Default.aspx

Re: First Free Agent Report for the Ravens

I wouldn't exactly call this news as we all know bringing Birk back was an option they were considering.

Now if they actually do it, that will be news.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Blog Entries

It's the only thing reported concerning the Ravens, except for some unconfirmed maybe Winston might eventually consider a visit.

Blog Entries

Birk is a great guy, but IMO he is done as a football player. I would be fine with him being the OL coach though.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It's the only thing reported concerning the Ravens, except for some unconfirmed maybe Winston might eventually consider a visit.
    Yeah, I know it is but this seems to be how we operate all the time when the opening bell sounds.
    We all should be use to it now.
    Even if/when Birk signs I'm not going to be jumping for joy.
    Not so sure what he's got left in the tank physically.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

I hope he is very cheap and considers this his best chance of a ring. Good bridge to whoever we pick in the draft. Maybe he will bring his buddy Steve from Minn.

The money has been crazy so far. The Ravens will be cautious and grab a bargain that fits the plan.

Blog Entries

Early free agency is the "worst" time to be a Ravens fan...It feels like we're the cluesless idiot, feels like Ozzie slept late and rolled over going "what did I miss?"

The reason we're usually inactive is because this is when the money flies. This is when teams go out and overpay to bring in a "Sexy" looking guy. And that can be just as risky, if not more, than a draft pick. How many times have we seen our neighbors to the South make a huge deal, only to void it a year or two later? Because the guy is going to a whole new system, whole new cast, whole new ballpark. It can yield pretty unpredictable results.

So, just relax and keep remembering who IS on roster...Flacco, Rice, Boldin, Torrey Smith, Dickson, Pitta, Yanda, McPhee, Cody, Ngata, Suggs, Kruger, Jimmy Smith, Ed Reed...and some guy named Lewis? Eh, he might not be so important.

Basically, we HAVE those guys who teams would line up to throw money at. They are already on our roster. Now we just fill in the holes with the guys who teams overlook.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

To play devil's advocate, the receivers that we have gotten late in the process have been trash (and IMHO the reason the Ravens haven't been able to get over the hump). Sure Oz and the FO's MO of waiting is prudent, but don't sing their praises that the cheap guys they have signed late at certain positions (WR) have been good ROIs.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    To play devil's advocate, the receivers that we have gotten late in the process have been trash (and IMHO the reason the Ravens haven't been able to get over the hump). Sure Oz and the FO's MO of waiting is prudent, but don't sing their praises that the cheap guys they have signed late at certain positions (WR) have been good ROIs.
    With a salary cap it's a zero sum game, so any big splash player - WR or otherwise - means that there is nothing left in the wallet for guys who can fill in positions that are also of need. Sure, the Ravens could grab a big name/big money WR that might pan out, but that might also cost them a guard, a corner and a defensive end who might provide a better ROI at multiple positions.

Blog Entries

Please no. I don't care what PFF say's Birk was a HUGE liability last year. The guy routinely gets pushed back.

I thought Birk wasn't too bad last year. Just left a bad taste in everyone's mouth because the last game of the year
    Follow me on twitter at @dandrews66

Blog Entries

If you watch tape of him the only time he ever got shoved back was in the play off's and the last few games of the season. That is mainly because of his age and he just doesn't have the energy to last a full season anymore. I would only use him as a back up next season if he comes back cheap.