Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Ravens Make Substantial Offer for Grubbs

No details on what that really means but both sides acknowledge that it is a solid offer. The cap number listed in the article is way off since they are using the PFT number but I don't see that as a reflection on the Grubbs information

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,7008854.story

This is probably pretty obvious, but it’s important enough to mention that the next 32 hours will be huge in the Ravens’ quest to retain Pro Bowl left guard Ben Grubbs. The Ravens have made what both sides have acknowledged was a substantial offer to Grubbs to convince him to eschew free agency and remain in Baltimore. All indications are that there isn’t much leeway to expand on the offer. Free agents aren’t allowed to negotiate with other teams until 4 p.m. tomorrow, but you can bet that Grubbs’ representative, Pat Dye, has already gotten a good idea about what teams are interested in his client and what they’re willing to pay. If Grubbs goes to free agency, that is a good indication that there will be another offer out there that surpasses the Ravens’ bid. And I wouldn’t be totally surprised if the Ravens then pull their offer and move on from Grubbs. That’s just my speculation based on them knowing they won’t win a bidding war with where they are with their salary cap situation.
    Last edited by The Fanatic; 03-12-2012 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Can't post an entire article from an outside copyrighted source

Re: Ravens Make Substantial Offer for Grubbs

OT but do you write for the sun or did you copy that whole article?
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    No details on what that really means but both sides acknowledge that it is a solid offer. The cap number listed in the article is way off since they are using the PFT number but I don't see that as a reflection on the Grubbs information

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,7008854.story

This is probably pretty obvious, but it’s important enough to mention that the next 32 hours will be huge in the Ravens’ quest to retain Pro Bowl left guard Ben Grubbs. The Ravens have made what both sides have acknowledged was a substantial offer to Grubbs to convince him to eschew free agency and remain in Baltimore. All indications are that there isn’t much leeway to expand on the offer. Free agents aren’t allowed to negotiate with other teams until 4 p.m. tomorrow, but you can bet that Grubbs’ representative, Pat Dye, has already gotten a good idea about what teams are interested in his client and what they’re willing to pay. If Grubbs goes to free agency, that is a good indication that there will be another offer out there that surpasses the Ravens’ bid. And I wouldn’t be totally surprised if the Ravens then pull their offer and move on from Grubbs. That’s just my speculation based on them knowing they won’t win a bidding war with where they are with their salary cap situation.
    Last edited by The Fanatic; 03-12-2012 at 03:24 PM. Reason: elimination of entire copyrighted article

Blog Entries

I would be absolutely thrilled if Grubbs were to somehow stay.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I would be absolutely thrilled if Grubbs were to somehow stay.
    I would agree, only if his toe is 100 % healthy.

Blog Entries

The Fanatic,

Just for you to know I only copied the first couple and last couple paragraphs. I left out the whole middle for the reason you shortened it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    OT but do you write for the sun or did you copy that whole article?
    Neither. It was about twice as long. Check the link.

awh was just wondering because the first time it had teh copyright ssymbol and alll at the bottom, so was giving you a heads up lol
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Neither. It was about twice as long. Check the link.

Blog Entries

I heard hints of this Friday on 105.7...basically, the Ravens were trying to make a big pitch to Grubbs and today, they'd give him one last, big offer. If he didn't take it, they'd let him test the market and see if he comes back.

Now we wait and see...
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

If Grubbs doesn't sign today he's gone. IMO, "testing the market" is really just codeword for, I can get a ton more somewhere else.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    If Grubbs doesn't sign today he's gone. IMO, "testing the market" is really just codeword for, I can get a ton more somewhere else.
    Not necessarily, his health may be enough concern that many teams give him a lesser deal to offset the risk of his toe being re-injured.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Not necessarily, his health may be enough concern that many teams give him a lesser deal to offset the risk of his toe being re-injured.
    ....before this year he had never missed a game.

Blog Entries

I personally just really don't agree with this a all. What is a substantial offer? More than Yanda? The argument could be easily made that Yanda is better. Can you get someone else into that position at a cheaper price, albeit even if it is vet journeyman that you have for a couple years than gotta do something else.

The 2 most important pieces of your line by far are C and LT. And we currently aren't spending any substantial money there, nor do we even have anyone in one of the positions and a guy who takes plays off at the other.

My argumnt is if you're gonna "invest" in a position I can see a bigger need than LG right now. Just saying.