Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens release Chris Carr per kffl

How has a thread about a completely expected cut gone on this long?

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Big whoppity doo! 40% of the teams make the playoffs.
    Not to quibble, but that's bad math. Only 37.5% of the teams make the playoffs. You were only off by 2.5, which is about the same number as the millions of dollars you are complaining about in this thread.

I don't mind Carr being released as long as it saves 2.5 million in cap room opposed to only 600k is my point, don't want to see a repeat of the 6.3 million dollars flushed down the toilet in cap room like years Mcgahee's departure fiasco.

Big whoppity doo! 40% of the teams make the playoffs. Had we not f'd up last year with McGahee we likely have a huge peice on our mantle. Be happy with playoff appearances but how I grew up championships are what matter. You must be a diehard Oriole fan.
    For every wrong move you seem to scrutinize you failed to acknowledge all the right ones made. The ravens have put themselves in a good position to win the last 4 years because of good salary cap management among other things. To suggest that the ravens deprived themselves of some hardware this year because of a $6M mistake made last year is ridiculous.
    Did you not watch the Pats game. Among other plays we didn't get to the dance because of a drop pass and not because of some roster mistake from last year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    For every wrong move you seem to scrutinize you failed to acknowledge all the right ones made. The ravens have put themselves in a good position to win the last 4 years because of good salary cap management among other things. To suggest that the ravens deprived themselves of some hardware this year because of a $6M mistake made last year is ridiculous.
    Did you not watch the Pats game. Among other plays we didn't get to the dance because of a drop pass and not because of some roster mistake from last year.

He contends that money wasted from mishandling McGahee's contract, kept the Ravens from signing Malcolm Floyd and that Floyd's presence, perhaps, rather than Evans', would have helped the Ravens to a SB.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I don't mind Carr being released as long as it saves 2.5 million in cap room opposed to only 600k is my point, don't want to see a repeat of the 6.3 million dollars flushed down the toilet in cap room like years Mcgahee's departure fiasco.
    The team has 2 "June 1" exemptions that allows them to release a player now, but get June 1 Cap treatment. Given that the carryover into 2013 is only $1.9M, I would expect that they will use one of those exemptions. That will save them $2.5M against the Cap this year, but they will have to carry Carr's Cap number until June 1. After that, they'll get the $2.5M in cap savings (which will go a good bit toward signing their draft picks), with the $1.9M in dead money hitting the 2013 Cap.

Oh, and regarding McGahee, the mistake of not releasing him prior to the lockout - which was BTW, reported here first - didn't cost them $6M against last year's Cap, it only cost them $2.5M against last year's Cap. It is costing them $3.75M against this year's cap, but I don't think that the $2.5M cost them signing anyone last year. If they wanted to sign someone, they could - and did.
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 03-01-2012 at 11:19 PM.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Malcom Floyd? Really?

I was never really gung ho about the Ravens signing him. Yes, the height is enticing, but that dude has played 1 full season since he's been in the NFL. He missed 4 games last year and both Boldin and Torrey had more receptions than him, Boldin had more yards, and Torrey had more TD's.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Not so fast, laconfora reporting that Ravens to give physical to Foxworth and if goes well to ask him to restructure.
    This doesn't exactly say that:

Jason La Canfora ‏ @JasonLaCanfora
    If Foxworth is far enough along physically, maybe he's back at a much lower price.

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    This doesn't exactly say that:
    It does on kffl's NFL website.

It does on kffl's NFL website.
    No, it actually says they "may" look to re-sign him, not "if all goes well to ask him to restructure" as you said.

Heck, even KFFL references LaCanfora's Twitter as it's source and still gets it wrong based on what he actually said on Twitter.

From KFFL:

Ravens | Domonique Foxworth to undergo physical
    Thu, 01 Mar 2012 13:28:56 -0800

Baltimore Ravens CB Domonique Foxworth (knee) is scheduled to undergo a physical for the team in the near future. If he shows progress from his knee injury, the team may try to restructure his contract instead of releasing him. He is scheduled to make $7 million next season.
    Again what LaCanfora actually said:

Jason La Canfora ‏ @JasonLaCanfora
    If Foxworth is far enough along physically, maybe he's back at a much lower price.

[QUOTE=B-more Ravor;428700]The team has 2 "June 1" exemptions that allows them to release a player now, but get June 1 Cap treatment. Given that the carryover into 2013 is only $1.9M, I would expect that they will use one of those exemptions. That will save them $2.5M against the Cap this year, but they will have to carry Carr's Cap number until June 1. After that, they'll get the $2.5M in cap savings (which will go a good bit toward signing their draft picks), with the $1.9M in dead money hitting the 2013 Cap.

Oh, and regarding McGahee, the mistake of not releasing him prior to the lockout - which was BTW, reported here first - didn't cost them $6M against last
    year's Cap, it only cost them $2.5M against last year's Cap. It is costing them $3.75M against this year's cap, but I don't think that the

$2.5M cost them signing anyone last year. If they wanted to sign someone, they could - and did.[/QUOTE

At the time the Ravens were pursuing Floyd, Ngata was still franchised. The Ravens had no wiggle room for negotiations at the time. That 2.5 million extra would of landed Floyd. History might be different and his 6'5 frame and 20 yard average per catch would look real good right now and probably the perfect peice Flacco needed, that's why the Ravens targeted him.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Malcom Floyd? Really?

I was never really gung ho about the Ravens signing him. Yes, the height is enticing, but that dude has played 1 full season since he's been in the NFL. He missed 4 games last year and both Boldin and Torrey had more receptions than him, Boldin had more yards, and Torrey had more TD's.
    Floyd at 6'5 and fast who can also leap. He played 12 games, had 856 yards, and nearly 20 yard average! 20 yard average! That is what the Ravens needed more than anything his presence. Had they got him the offense would be totally different. I bet we don't even play in NE, likely they get HFA. But, Ngata was still
    franchised at the time they were trying to sign him and that 2.5 million would of put us over the top, plus the 3.75 million for this year could have been added. He was the first peice and most important peice the Ravens identified last season, but came up a few bucks short. He would sure look good in purple last year and now.
    But we had to deal a 4th to the Bills for Evans and take a cap hit this season for
    it to boot.
    Plus he destroyed the Ravens if you recall last year.