Blog Entries

Full backs in the HOF?

As a full back on my team in the UK, and as you can tell by my name I am a big fan of NFL full backs. There has been some great players in the position, and while I know its a dying breed, has there ever been a full back ever inducted into the HOF? If not should there be? LO Neal deserves it for sure, as does Tony Richardson IMO.

The argument can be made that they are technically running backs and don't get the statistics RB's get in their careers for obvious reasons, but really they should be classed as agile offensive linemen IMO. I mean so many full backs have had a big reason for a running backs success, I am sure that our rushing offense wouldn't have been half as good in 2008 without LO Neal, and this season while Rice is an amazing back and would be great behind any full back, Vonta Leach made some very important blocks/pancakes on players to pave way for Rice this season.

Re: Full backs in the HOF?

There are lots of fullbacks on this list, Larry Csonka from the undefeated Dolphins was the name that grabbed my attention
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Fame_inductees

But this has me wondering, did fullback mean something different back in that era?

Csonka was a top rusher, Leach never will be

I don't realy know, positions evolve over time

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Raven View Post
    There are lots of fullbacks on this list, Larry Csonka from the undefeated Dolphins was the name that grabbed my attention

But this has me wondering, did fullback mean something different back in that era?

Yes, I think full backs where actually what a running back was back then, could be wrong, but I'm sure they have a total different meaning now.

Fullbacks were often bulldozer straight ahead runners who would pound into LBs and fall down for extra yardage. Strength, not speed. Rarely pass catchers. Short yardage pounders, especially 4th down or goal line, mano-a-mano.

In my opinion, the FB position has been diminished by the West Coast offense, the occasional H-back formation, need for speed. There are many smarter X&O's guys on the forum who can more intelligently explain why the FB position is dying.

I hate change, period, but particularly change without benefit. I preferred watching football with greater use of fullbacks: Franco Harris, Larry Csonka, Earl Campbell, John Riggins, Jim Brown etc were great to watch. Not sexy, no acrobatics or road-runner speed, but pounding the rock.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Raven View Post

Teams used to run from the fullback position a lot. That's what Csonka did. He's a fullback who would get 20 carries a game. Fullbacks are judged by their rushing stats the same way Tight Ends are judged by their receiving stats.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Teams used to run from the fullback position a lot. That's what Csonka did. He's a fullback who would get 20 carries a game. Fullbacks are judged by their rushing stats the same way Tight Ends are judged by their receiving stats.
    That's still wrong IMO, especially these days, tight ends get to catch way more than what full backs get the ball handed off to them. A lot of tight ends don't even have to block these days. Full Backs need to start being judged the way an offensive lineman gets judged.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    That's still wrong IMO, especially these days, tight ends get to catch way more than what full backs get the ball handed off to them. A lot of tight ends don't even have to block these days. Full Backs need to start being judged the way an offensive lineman gets judged.
    The Hall of Fame voters have always put way too emphasis on stats. Most fans seem to that as well and yes, it is wrong. LeRon McClain made 2 Pro Bowls here in Baltimore being about as mediocre a lead blocker as a fullback could but he ran the ball.

The Baseball Hall of Fame is the basis for all the American Hall of Fames. Baseball is a sport completely based on stats. Too bad other sports restrict themselves using that model.

Blog Entries

Jim Brown even spent time as a FB, if I am not mistaken.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

i dont like how the HOF voters vote. IMO if your the best at you position one of the best ever at your position regardless of position you should be in the HOF. But yet the HOF overlooks positions as if they werent important like punter and kicker. Thus why Matt Stover will never be a HOFer

The FB dying out is worst part of today's football. Lining up in the I and running AT the opponent is what made football the greatest sport on turf.