Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Jason Brown

Blog Entries

Re: Jason Brown

I could dig it, good depth in case Birk can't finish another season and can start right away at LG, you can still draft both for the future as Birk is very likely done after this year, so maybe they plan on having Brown as the future C and give him a one year deal to see how it's gonna shake out.

Essentially you take care of 2 birds with 1 stone. I like it.

I always liked him, be nice if he signed, and can get back to playing like he did in his first stint here. That would give us some added flexibility in the draft for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    I could dig it, good depth in case Birk can't finish another season and can start right away at LG, you can still draft both for the future as Birk is very likely done after this year, so maybe they plan on having Brown as the future C and give him a one year deal to see how it's gonna shake out.

Essentially you take care of 2 birds with 1 stone. I like it.
    Yup, I'm in agreement here.
    Dude isn't that old, is familiar with what goes on here and at minimal gives you decent depth at either position if not starting material at either.
    For the right price, I got no problem.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    For the right price, I got no problem.
    I'm sure they are looking options to bring in someone, Brown or whomever. With less than $2 mil in cap space, it is a question of who is really signable. I have to think that the Flacco and Rice deals are bigger priorities, and necessities before they deal with a veteran to fill the role Gurode filled.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I'm sure they are looking options to bring in someone, Brown or whomever. With less than $2 mil in cap space, it is a question of who is really signable. I have to think that the Flacco and Rice deals are bigger priorities, and necessities before they deal with a veteran to fill the role Gurode filled.
    I'm really thinking they could care less about Rice's deal, and I don't blame them. They offered a very very fair contract with a take it or leave it attitude. Flacco's is a little more important to play with the numbers right so it works out for both team and player. And they can still restructure someone if needed.

And it isn't filling the hole Gurode left, it's filling the one that Grubbs left. MUCH more important. You sign Brown and you just took care of both holes and more flexibility in the draft. 90% of Mock Drafts all have us taking Konz. Thats a glaring problem. Sign Brown and now things are up in the air, just the way Oz and Co like it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Gurode was beat out by a 2nd year undrafted free agent.

That doesn't bode well for his chances...and it all goes back to how he and Levoir were so awful at LG that it made Grubbs look like an all-pro when he came back. Both those guys likely will get vet min deals at best for depth and there is a strong possibility that they are both out of the league.
    Gurode wasn't beaten out by anyone. He was a cap casualty because he refused to re structure, he was a pro bowl center the year he was cut.

Again I'd be pretty happy if we get Jason Brown, but I aint expecting much even if he does sign with us, he didn't look anywhere close to what he was for us in 2007-2008.

7. Re: Jason Brown

I am hoping for this because at least he's a decent option and it's reportedly a one year deal. I think this just bolsters the line and doesn't force us to draft Konz, whom I don't think is a 1st round prospect. Hopefully he signs as well because he can play LG too.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Gurode wasn't beaten out by anyone. He was a cap casualty because he refused to re structure, he was a pro bowl center the year he was cut.

Again I'd be pretty happy if we get Jason Brown, but I aint expecting much even if he does sign with us, he didn't look anywhere close to what he was for us in 2007-2008.
    Gurode was a mediocre player for us and there's little reason to think he'll ever be anything better again. Sure, he made the Pro Bowl in 2010, which is great, but plenty of guys make the Pro Bowl one year and don't play very well the next.

It's understandable Gurode didn't see any time at center last year considering he was behind a better player in Birk, but he was awful at guard. Part of that is probably that he was a very bad fit for our system, which you can't hold against him, but we all know our system isn't changing anytime soon.

There's a reason Gurode is still waiting for a call, and I doubt he gets any interest until after the draft. He's a fill-in-the-gap type player, which is kind of the worst thing to be at the center position, where continuity is crucial. Somebody will sign him as a depth guy, but he won't be at the top of anybody's depth chart in 2012.

I don't like the Brown idea. He's just not a very good player; he was just terrible in St. Louis. Why would he be any better now? He's not a solution at LG next year or the year after and he's not a solution at C either. Unless he'll take the veteran minimum to be a depth guy, why would we bother?

Honestly, I'd prefer to have Bobbie Williams or Jake Scott compete with a draft pick at LG.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Gurode was a mediocre player for us and there's little reason to think he'll ever be anything better again. Sure, he made the Pro Bowl in 2010, which is great, but plenty of guys make the Pro Bowl one year and don't play very well the next.

It's understandable Gurode didn't see any time at center last year considering he was behind a better player in Birk, but he was awful at guard. Part of that is probably that he was a very bad fit for our system, which you can't hold against him, but we all know our system isn't changing anytime soon.

There's a reason Gurode is still waiting for a call, and I doubt he gets any interest until after the draft. He's a fill-in-the-gap type player, which is kind of the worst thing to be at the center position, where continuity is crucial. Somebody will sign him as a depth guy, but he won't be at the top of anybody's depth chart in 2012.

I don't like the Brown idea. He's just not a very good player; he was just terrible in St. Louis. Why would he be any better now? He's not a solution at LG next year or the year after and he's not a solution at C either. Unless he'll take the veteran minimum to be a depth guy, why would we bother?

Honestly, I'd prefer to have Bobbie Williams or Jake Scott compete with a draft pick at LG.
    Yeah but I was just pointing out he was a good player in 2010, was a cap casualty, he wasn't cut because he couldn't beat out an undrafted center.

I think the Jason Brown thing is purely for depth reasons, we are thin on the offensive line, and you may as well bring him in to compete with Birk, Jah Reid, and who ever we draft.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post

Choose to beleive it if you want, but Jones said that they can't pay Gurode's salary to a backup.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says the decision to cut center Andre Gurode was actually quite simple: Phil Costa proved in training camp that he was the best center on the roster, and there was no way Jones would pay $5.5 million to a second-string center.

“You should look at this one based upon the facts as you see them,” Jones said on 105.3 The Fan, via the Dallas Morning News. “You saw Phil Costa step up and for all practical purposes win the starting job at center. Win it heads up. . . . Then you saw the reality of having a significant salary for a backup player .”
    Jones doesn't go cheap...if Gurode was really good, he would have still been a Cowboy...they weren't in danger of going over the cap with him there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    i dont understand it though? birk is the stop gap, why bring in another one, which he clearly would be on a 1 yr deal. we have birk, we now need to go young at center behind him. i would have understood it prior to signing birk, but this is kind of silly now.
    It's because Brown can play Guard and Center. He'd compete for the LG spot and if he didn't win the job he'd be the interior backup o-lineman.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    They could easily get another million in cap space by removing the 2nd round tender from Ellerbe and bringing him back for the minimum.