Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Writing on the Wall for Grubbs?

Sure sounds like it:

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/201...t-with-grubbs/

When I read the title my thinking was great they are going to get something worked out. After reading it, it sounds more like a "we'd like to keep him but we really can't afford it". And Grubbs is basically saying, " I am going where ever they offer me the most money. That probably won't be Baltimore."

I don't know it just sounds like both sides know a split is coming. My wishful thinking is that its a negotiation ploy by both sides.

Re: Writing on the Wall for Grubbs?

The line is where it happens. Don't weaken the line, make it BETTER.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Blog Entries

The writing on the wall for this was made when they decided to pay Yanda.

I can't blame Grubbs. He's a solid player and this is how he makes his living. It'll be tough to see him go, but I wish him success (except against the Ravens).

Blog Entries

Don't be another Jason Brown, B. Grubbs...
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

I think that signing Grubbs to a 5yr/$30M (est.) deal would be a mistake. That's $60M+ tied up with guards, with the long-term status of both OTs and C up in the air. Grubbs is solid, but he's unaffordable.

Oz stated that he wants to sign a C, which I *think* means that either Andre (resigned for "cheap") or Jah goes to LG.

McKinnie is the LT for 2012, but who knows if he'll use a full offseason to get fitter or fatter. And although I can see a scenario (however unlikely it may be) in which Oher is traded on draft day, most likely we're drafting and signing depth at OT (especially if Jah goes to LG).

Note: Oz would have to eat $2.5M total across (2012 and 2013) on an Oher trade.
    Note 2: If Oher gets a new deal going into 2013 then Oz only eats $865K for 2012. (*if I understand the CBA correctly*)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jayc00 View Post
    Don't be another Jason Brown, B. Grubbs...
    Almost the exact situation, and likely a similar ending

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

A few things to consider. Since the cap went up only to 125 million and there is a glut of FA guards out their already even before cuts made in march. I dont think teams will be throwing huge money at the guard position. Also, the NFL, moreso last season has basically done away with holding penalties. Another factor is Grubbs himself, had a bad ankle most of 2010, turf toe year bad. Those are back to back recurring type injuries, the Ravens might let him test the market, but in reality he isn't the best guard on his own team. He may walk, but with so many free agents and basically no cap increase and his injury situation coupled with the letting of olineman getting away with more and his past 2 year injury history he might not get as much as he thinks. Or some team may back the truck up and pay him, he's good but not ALL-PRO or anything.

Only way Grubbs comes back imo is For the Ravens to lock up Rice Before FA starts and tag Grubbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    A few things to consider. Since the cap went up only to 125 million and there is a glut of FA guards out their already even before cuts made in march. I dont think teams will be throwing huge money at the guard position. Also, the NFL, moreso last season has basically done away with holding penalties. Another factor is Grubbs himself, had a bad ankle most of 2010, turf toe year bad. Those are back to back recurring type injuries, the Ravens might let him test the market, but in reality he isn't the best guard on his own team. He may walk, but with so many free agents and basically no cap increase and his injury situation coupled with the letting of olineman getting away with more and his past 2 year injury history he might not get as much as he thinks. Or some team may back the truck up and pay him, he's good but not ALL-PRO or anything.
    I think you are right the Saints are going to let Carl Nicks hit the market, they already paid the other guard top dollar at the time, and we just invested in Yanda....can't tie up too much money in your guards, it makes no sense.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

They aren't going to put the franchise tag on Grubbs.

The fact is no team can afford to tie up that much money on the offensive line, not with the way the pay scales are in the NFL. He'll be back if the market is soft enough for his services, not otherwise. I don't think it will be that soft.

As much as I would love to lock up Grubbs it certainly doesn't make sense to have $60-$70 million locked up between two guards. Don't know what the guard market will looks like but here's hoping that Grubbs looks at how Jason Brown fared, what a good situation he has (4 straight years in the playoffs) and takes a little bit of discount and stay a raven.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    As much as I would love to lock up Grubbs it certainly doesn't make sense to have $60-$70 million locked up between two guards. Don't know what the guard market will looks like but here's hoping that Grubbs looks at how Jason Brown fared, what a good situation he has (4 straight years in the playoffs) and takes a little bit of discount and stay a raven.
    If Grubbs can get a few million more elsewhere, he is gone, but he might not have the value he thinks.
    Way Down South in New Orleans