Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wes Welker

Wes Welker

Here is a guy that will be available as a UFA. Why does his name not come up as a WR to sign?

Re: Wes Welker

Because he's a system guy who will likely never leave the team that made him a star.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joe View Post
    Here is a guy that will be available as a UFA. Why does his name not come up as a WR to sign?
    I don't think anyone expects the Patriots to let him get away. Even if they did he would demand top dollar so we couldn't afford him.

Blog Entries

He wouldn't fit well with our system and we have a bigger, stronger version of Welker in Boldin.

I don't know why there isn't more talk nationally of him as an FA. Perhaps most teams/sportswriters assume the Pats will make sure he stays put. Perhaps he's already told his agent not to field other offers.

Blog Entries

Because he'll never hit the market. I heard him say today that after the Super Bowl they will get a deal done with the Patriots. The Saints free agents are a lot more realistic because they can't keep them all. Welker and Branch are both staying with the Pats

he will retire a patriot, and he would never fit our system

Blog Entries

Why would Welker leave a perennial playoff contender, with Tom Brady throwing him 100 passes a season? He knows what it is like to be in a bad situation (Miami) and he is not going back.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

He'd cost too much money and would probably end up a bust here. Pass.

Blog Entries

He's a great player, but as others have said, he wouldn't fit our system. And tbh I think Boldin would be just as productive if he was in Welkers position for the Patriots.

Big ticket FA's just aren't a smart way to build a team. For every Drew Brees, Deion Sanders, or Reggie White, there are 100 Albert Haynesworth's, Asomugha's, Alvin Harper's, Scott Mitchell's, Elvis Grbac's (ouch!), etc. The Ravens are usually pretty smart in that they realize they're better to keep the best of what they have, and go out and scout new blood to fill out most holes in the roster.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    he will retire a patriot...
    The Patriots have never shown any shyness about kicking players to the curb when they're done with them. It wouldn't surprise me to see him finish out his career elsewhere.

Blog Entries

The other thing about the Pats (and the Ravens too for that matter) is they'll likely let him test out the market, see what kind of offer he can get, and then counter just a little lower. He can go make more somewhere else or stay where he knows he'll be taken care of. They did the same with Randy Moss; wouldn't expect anything different here.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!