Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Minute Drill

2 Minute Drill

After the game in Joe Flacoo's post game interview Joe stated, that the offense is very good and confident in the two minute drill (and indeed they are). The offense in the two minute situation EVERY time is the offense I think this fanbase is begging for. My question is why the HELL do they not use this for the whole 60 min?!??!?! If you are SOOO GOOD and CONFIDENT in this type of offense why dont you use it all the time. Joe is good at an uptempo pace, he flourishes in it. Now dont get me wrong I understand that the defense is worried more about giving up the big play in the 2 minute situation, but you clearly see this is the pace that is more suitable for Joe. I just dont understand how the Ravens dont see and not take advantage of it. What are your thoughts???

Re: 2 Minute Drill

Flacco in the shotgun is a Hall of Famer. Flacco under center with a normal 5 step drop is a below average starting NFL QB. It's a night and day difference.

I think it's certainly something to take a look at in the off season. One of the negatives to the hurry up offense is that it can have a negative impact on your defense. You always hear people talk about "run the ball and stop the run". Defense can get tired out really fast without your offense taking some heat off of them, by running the ball and milking the clock.

I don't even think I disagree with you, just playing a little devil's advocate here, and giving the reason why.

I agree winning Time of possession is very important. But scoring points in the end is what matters the most running a hurry up offense is not snapping the ball with 20 sec on the play clock every time. I played this offense in highschool and just getting back to the line of scrimmage quick and forcing the defense to get to the line and not sub is what makes this offense effective (see Patriots). So losing time of possession is not really an issue in the type of offense im thinking about. But clearly Flacco is better in the gun only problem is it takes away the impact of Leach. BUT you form your offense around your QB and what he is best in not the FB....

I think it should be used from time-to-time, but not for whole games. It clearly works well, and is a change of rhythm that gives opposing DCs something else to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff66 View Post
    After the game in Joe Flacoo's post game interview Joe stated, that the offense is very good and confident in the two minute drill (and indeed they are). The offense in the two minute situation EVERY time is the offense I think this fanbase is begging for. My question is why the HELL do they not use this for the whole 60 min?!??!?! If you are SOOO GOOD and CONFIDENT in this type of offense why dont you use it all the time. Joe is good at an uptempo pace, he flourishes in it. Now dont get me wrong I understand that the defense is worried more about giving up the big play in the 2 minute situation, but you clearly see this is the pace that is more suitable for Joe. I just dont understand how the Ravens dont see and not take advantage of it. What are your thoughts???
    I often wonder why scores don't happen more after you see a team score so fast at the end of the half or end of game.. Can't tell you how many games the ravens have lost against Ben or other teams with the ravens leading, Ben makes that final drive to seal the win. Joe has done it also and would have more victories if the receivers would have made the catch. You watch a low scoring game for two hours and forty -five minutes, and a team scores on less then two minutes to win it at the end. Agree that Flacco is more deadlier moving around and has better vision too.

Flacco is good in the gun, but he's also pretty good in play action too, especially when they roll him out of the pocket.

The bottom line is that the offense needs to get less predictable. Flacco is having to throw the ball into the tiniest of spaces, and that is always going to break down at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Flacco in the shotgun is a Hall of Famer. Flacco under center with a normal 5 step drop is a below average starting NFL QB. It's a night and day difference.
    THIS is EXACTLY why Cam will be gone. Don't think for a minute that you and I are the only ones who recognize this. Biscotti and Ozzie can read the tea leaves even better than we can.

How would you like to have a Ravens season with an UNSTOPPABLE offense? That what Biscotti can have - that's what we can have.

9. Re: 2 Minute Drill

Is Flacco the only QB in the NFL who doesn't wear a cuff or cheat sheet with plays he can go to in the two minute or no huddle?

Whats your thought is bringing in Mike Shula from Carolina currently QB coach?
    Here is his bio http://www.panthers.com/team/coaches...d-c6832b78f48a

Went to Alabama, son of Don Shula, BORN IN BALTIMORE MARYLAND looks promising to me....

With Ray Rice, well over half of the town would be bitching that we weren't using Ray effectively if we ran no huddle as a base offense- as would a vocal majority on this board as well- so don't sit here, and say we should be a no-huddle offense now. Clearly it can be effective- and I could see where we could "sprinkle it in" a few drives each half, but it shouldn't be our standard offense by any means.

Also- the reason the hurry-up becomes so successful at the end of halves/games is because the team with the ball is also using an exra down on many occasions as they are trying to squeeze in one extra score with time running out. it isn't as successful when you only have 3 downs to run it, and your defense has to go back out onto the field in less than 60 seconds of play clock...

I think the biggest reason Joe had so much success yesterday was b/c Cam *finally* rolled him out- I've been wondering all season why we don't mix up our straight drop-back with sprint-outs and full roll-outs- it's almost mind boggling- especially whe you consider Joe's been getting hammered in the pocket all season with our sub-par pass-blocking this season. So not only was Joe completing passes, but he was finally able to use his legs to get at least 3 first downs- How this isn't obvious to the coordinator is astonishiing to me (and i'm *not* a cam basher). but i think it's clear that our offense could be a little more complex if it wants to go to the next level.

I've been saying for years the league is changing and the dumb Baltimoron fans and coaches need to come to grips with the fact we are in a new era. The days of ball control and shut-down defense are over (for now -- everything is cyclical). The best teams these days have up-tempo passing offenses and aggressive defenses that try to force turnovers but give up yardage and sometimes TDs.