Bungles do away with training camp, Lewis cites new league rules.

Move it if you want but this is semi Ravens related....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...training-camp/
    The team announced Friday that they will hold training camp at Paul Brown Stadium. They spent the last 15 years at Georgetown College in Kentucky, but their release cited fan access not available during the regular seaosn and special events as part of the rationale for remaining at home this summer. Coach Marvin Lewis explained another reason why it made sense to stay put.

“We going to be right in our home, and that’s where you’re best suited with the way the (NFL) rules have changed,” Lewis said in a statement.
    “We also hope to see some fans who maybe haven’t had a chance to see us at camp before, and we’re excited to join all the great activities that are happening in the summertime in our downtown.”

The new Collective Bargaining Agreement provides teams fewer opportunities to practice on field, which makes video and other classroom work available at team headquarters a bigger part of summer work. More than half the teams in the league plan to stay at home for training camp and it wouldn’t be surprising to see more teams opting to pass on going away to camp.

Re: Bungles do away with training camp, Lewis cites new league rules.

Like the Ravens said, with the new rules limiting the numbers of padded practices if you get some summer storm coming through, you need to be able to go into your indoor practice facil...

Uh. Nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
    Like the Ravens said, with the new rules limiting the numbers of padded practices if you get some summer storm coming through, you need to be able to go into your indoor practice facil...

Uh. Nevermind.
    Uhhh,.....that isn't the reason the Ravens gave. It was the same one Lewis and any other executive who is keeping the camp at home would say and have if asked.....the new league rules make it pointless to have it somewhere else.

But....nevermind.

Does Paul Brown stadium have practice fields, or are they going to be practicing on their game field? I could see staying local, but damn, even high schools normally have some kind of practice field to use so their game field can stay in optimal shape. The cheapness of Mike Brown continues to astound me.

Blog Entries

And in related news, jerome Simpson was indicted on felony drug chargers today. The Bengals have the pieces in place to have a bright future, but they will bungle it away.

It was yesterday, stemming from a search and seizure that took place early in the season. Not really a surprise, but when you have a bottom of the barrel organization, you have to look the other way off the field to try to put a decent product on the field. No one decent wants on board that mess.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCCRavensFan View Post
    Does Paul Brown stadium have practice fields, or are they going to be practicing on their game field? I could see staying local, but damn, even high schools normally have some kind of practice field to use so their game field can stay in optimal shape. The cheapness of Mike Brown continues to astound me.
    The practice fields are right next to the stadium

Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu View Post
    Uhhh,.....that isn't the reason the Ravens gave. It was the same one Lewis and any other executive who is keeping the camp at home would say and have if asked.....the new league rules make it pointless to have it somewhere else.

But....nevermind.
    That sound was his joke whizzing over your head... :)

Remember Lewis can't get them to build an indoor facility up there?

Blog Entries

I got that joke...Yup, Bengals continue to try to market themselves as a class organization...and continue to just miss the mark.

Yeah, trend continues. The only difference here is that Paul Brown Stadium is WELL setup for public practices. The Ravens facility, though far superior, will never be able to hold a public practice. So if they want public practices, they have to schedule practices at other facilities. And that somewhat defeats the advantage of holding camp at the facility, though the Ravens ARE a class organization, so they value the benefit to the fans over a few minor inconveniences.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu View Post

But....nevermind.

The fact that I was really just making a joke notwithstanding, what do you mean that wasn't the reason they gave? From the press release...

"In 1996, Westminster was the best place for us to have training camp," general manager and executive vice president Ozzie Newsome explained. "How teams conduct training camp today is vastly different. Our football needs and requirements are different. The absence of two-a-days, how much space we need for the players and the meetings, the limited number of practices allowed by the new CBA (collective bargaining agreement), the importance of having an indoor field when the summer storms come – all of that and more football-influenced factors, had me recommend to Steve (Bisciotti) and Dick that we hold camp here."