Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ravens Call Texans’ All-Ins 1/15/12

I would have liked to avoid the topic of the week, but it’s difficult not to talk about Flacco with a game of these extremes.

First, let’s look at the pressure brought by the Texans. They rushed between 4 and 7 every pass play. To summarize by number of pass rushers:

4: 12 plays for 15 yards, 1.3 YPP, 4 sacks
    5: 5/22, 4.4 YPP, 1 sack
    6: 8/21, 2.6 YPP
    7: 7/82, 11.7 YPP

These numbers tell a story without much further subjective analysis, but I want to speak specifically to the 4 and 7-man rush schemes. It would be a fair criticism of Flacco to say he hasn’t always known what to do with the extra time afforded by opposing 4-man rushes. This game, however, he had ample time and space (ATS) on just 3 of 12 occasions when the Texans rushed 4. Of the 4 sacks with a 4-man rush, 3 were fast-developing and the 4th (Q3, 13:52) involved fast-developing pressure that evolved into a slow-developing sack. That’s the only case where he might have unloaded the ball in time.

As intense as the pressure was with 4, the Ravens generated ATS on just 1 of 13 pass plays with 5 or 6 rushing.

In sharp contrast, the Ravens did a marvelous job picking up the 7-man pressure Phillips sent. Flacco had ample time and space (ATS) on 6 of the 7 such plays and made good use of those opportunities. Here’s a brief description of those plays:

• (Q1, 8:13): The Texans brought their front 7 with Quin spying near the LoS. Manning was the single high safety. The Ravens kept Dickson, Leach, and Rice in to block. Dickson did a nice job of forcing Barwin to the outside on the OLS. Flacco threw deep right for Boldin, covered by Kareem Jackson. Boldin hauled in a well-thrown ball over Jackson who never got his head turned for a gain of 21.

• (Q1, 6:56): Once again, the entire front 7 blitzed with Quin up as the spy. The Ravens again kept Dickson, Leach, and Rice in to block. Leach picked up Reed off the right edge. Flacco threw 35 yards into the end zone for Smith in the left corner, but Joseph had good coverage and got his hand up to deflect the ball.

• (Q1, 1:13): The Texans brought the front 7 again. The Ravens lined up with 2 wide receivers and Kept Pitta, Leach, and Rice in to block. Leach made the key block, slowing Ryans who came through the A gap with a square hit. Quin was late arriving as Flacco through to the right side of the end zone for Boldin, covered by Allen. It was both a fine throw and catch where Boldin used his size despite minimal separation to haul in the 10-yard TD. The Ravens would lead 17-3 and have all the points they would need.

• (Q2, 2:17): The front 7 again rushed the passer as Manning covered Dickson, leaving Quin as the single high safety. Leach picked up Brooks Reed on the OLS and Rice made a block in the middle. Flacco threw a pretty down the right sideline (are we seeing a pattern here yet?) for Boldin, covered by the pressing Jackson. Quin was late and Boldin made another fine grab of a perfectly thrown ball. Jackson had his head turned and had fine coverage, but could not prevent the 28-yard reception. This was a case where the throw was even better than the catch.

• (Q4, 5:58): The Texans blitzed Manning with Ryans remaining in coverage. Pitta, Leach, and Rice were kept in to block as the Ravens ran their 7th (!) and last 2-man pattern of the game. Pitta picked up Connor Barwin on the left side, but no one got Manning, who came delayed. Fortunately, the pattern developed quickly as Flacco uncorked a bullet outside the right numbers for Smith, covered by Joseph. Torrey turned and secured his only catch of the day for 9 yards.

• (Q4, 3:50): The Texans again rushed the front 7. With only Rice staying in to block, Flacco had 4 targets in single coverage. He hit Boldin slanting against Jackson for 14 yards (8 + 6 YAC) between the hash and right numbers.

• (Q4, 3:04): The Texans once again rushed all of their front 7. The Ravens kept Leach in to block and Torrey Smith motioned back from wide left to throw a nice block that slowed down Reed. Rice was in the backfield, did not throw a block and looked as if he might have released late, so I didn’t count him as a blocker. Flacco again threw the slant intended for Boldin, but Allen had tight coverage and Quin was converging. Flacco threw the ball high and incomplete. If it wasn’t intentional, it was fortunate.

Compiling the above information, Flacco threw accurate, safe passes, primarily on the outside, with good results, to receivers that didn’t get much separation. He had no more than 1 poorly thrown ball among these 7.

So did Joe Flacco have a bad game? Not the way I see it. Despite a game where the Texans 4-man rush was especially effective, Joseph covered Smith on an island, and the receivers accumulated 4 drops, Flacco threw 2 TDs and did not turn the ball over. That’s a heck of a game and I’d say the 97 QB rating is a good representation of how well he played.

The Ravens had 62 competitive offensive snaps versus the Texans (excludes the end-of-game kneel):

McKinnie: Bryant McKinnie had by far his best game as a Raven. In particular, he mauled Antonio Smith as a run blocker, but he is still finishing run blocks only when he wants to. Specifically, he pushed Antonio Smith backwards 6 yards (Q1, 8:49), then stopped blocking and Smith worked off him to tackle Rice. That may have had an impact on that play, but continuing to give Smith a physical pounding might also have tired him further or forced a reduced snap count. Just 2 plays later he effortlessly pushed Smith to the ground with his right arm. Smith, who has been one of the best interior pass rushers in the game this season, was held (primarily by McKinnie and Grubbs) without a sack or QH Sunday in 27 pass plays. Scoring: 58 blocks, 4 missed, 58 points (.94 per play).

Grubbs: Ben contributed significantly to the Ravens win. He scored well, particularly when the opponent is considered, but more importantly, he recovered a pair of fumbles. He fell on the ball between 2 Texans (Q1, 6:49) when Flacco had it dislodged by Reed. He also snatched up the Rice fumble near the goal line (Q3, 3:27). On that play, Grubbs and Kareem Jackson were the only 2 players close to the ball who knew where it was. Jackson reached for the ball between Grubbs’ legs, but Grubbs snatched the ball cleanly as he was going to the ground. Interestingly, Wade Smith, the Texans LG had 2 fumble recoveries in the first game which kept the Texans in the game into the 4th quarter. Grubbs was beaten inside by Cody for pressure (Q3, 5:14) and I scored him as responsible for 1/3 of the sack (Q3, 11:05). It was amusing to see him dash 20 yards up the field with Rice on the screen pass (Q1, 2:28), but it would have been more entertaining had he delivered a block. Ben did not pull against the Texans. He made 2 blocks in level 2. Scoring: 58 blocks, 2 missed, 1 pressure, 1/3 sack, 54 points (.87 per play).

Birk: Matt missed a screen block on Ryans (Q4, 15:00) that resulted in a loss of 4 on the pass to Rice. He otherwise played reasonably well, but must bear a significant share of the blame for the Ravens’ difficulties in short yardage. Scoring: 56 blocks, 5 missed, 1 penetration, 54 points (.87 per play).

Yanda: Marshal played below his normal level as a run blocker, but he looked a lot worse as a pass blocker. Uncharacteristically, he was party to 2 sacks. He failed to pick up Bullman to allow pressure on Flacco (Q2, 2:00). He was beaten inside by Watt on the jailbreak sack (Q3, 11:05). Yanda missed the stunting Watt as he and Brooks sacked Flacco for a 12-yard loss (Q4, 10:22). On the 3rd-and-5 play which could have salted away the game (Q4, 3:01) he was bulled backwards to Flacco for a pressure as Joe threw incomplete. Scoring: 55 blocks, 3 missed, 2 pressures, 5/6 sack (1/2 + 1/3), 46 points (.74 per play). Since he was injured in the game against the Browns, Yanda has recorded scores of .55, .77, and .74. I didn’t notice anything specific, but the results are consistent with an injury that’s still bothering him.

Oher: It was the 2nd worst full game I’ve ever scored, exceeded only by Cousins’ implosion against Woodley (.31, 12/27/09). Brooks Reed and JJ Watt took turns beating him straight up. It’s surprising to me that the criticism of the offensive line is so general for this game. As you can see from the scores and commentary here, the problems were segmentable. Michael may never play another game as big as the one this Sunday and the Ravens are much less likely to advance if he can’t regain some semblance of his midseason form. Scoring: 49 blocks, 4 missed, 4 pressures, 1 penetration, 2 5/6 sacks (2 full + ½ + 1/3), 22 points (.35 per play).

Reid: Reid played 3 short-yardage snaps and made 2 blocks. On the 4th and 1 play (Q, T), Brooks Reed came down on Reid, but then got up to stop Rice at the goal line. Scoring 2 points (.67 per play).
    Last edited by Filmstudy; 01-20-2012 at 12:36 AM.

Re: Ravens Call Texans’ All-Ins 1/15/12

Other Offensive Notes:

• Flacco had ATS on just 10 of 31 (31%) of his drop backs in the divisional game. It was his lowest percentage of ATS for the year. With ATS he completed 4 of 10 passes for 68 yards, 1 TD, and no INTs (6.8 YPP).

• Without ATS he completed 10 of 17 for 108 yards with 1 TD, 0 INT, and was sacked 5 times for 36 yards. The 3.3 YPP is just a tad below average, but he didn’t turn the ball over (with a little help from his friends).

• Torrey Smith had 2 drops as I scored it. Anquan Boldin, and Ed Dickson each had 1.

• The other major decision was whether or not to go for the TD at the goal line (Q3, 1:59) on 4th down. Using the win probability calculator on AdvancedNFLStats.com (a site I highly recommend), the Ravens needed approximately a 42% probability of scoring to make the gamble a break-even proposition. The Ravens 2 for 6 performance on 1-yard-to-go runs Sunday notwithstanding, I liked the decision.

Blog Entries
    As always, a tremendous read! The more I read your stuff the more cam looks like the culprit.

Thanks film...

I am still confused in why our offense seems to be so slow in making adjustments when needed.

I've said from the minute the game was over, that Flacco played very well, and was dumbfounded by the "talking heads" that were saying he struggled.

Thanks for re-affirming that position.

Quote Originally Posted by Everything_Ravens View Post
    As always, a tremendous read! The more I read your stuff the more cam looks like the culprit.
    No fan of Cam here, but to me it was the offensive line (a particular side of the offensive line) that needed to be called out this week.

The ability of teams to get pressure with just 4 rushers (and conversely drop 7 back to cover Cameron's "exotic" pass patterns) has usually been when Flacco plays his worst and a losing proposition for the Ravens. I think they were very fortunate to win last week (good plays by Flacco under constant pressure, good recoveries on their fumbles, and Houston's gift turnovers).

They play that way on Sunday, the season is over.

Nice work as always Film....

Great work, Film. The right side of the line was clearly struggling all day, but its even more apparent after reading your scores how badly they did.

Blog Entries

Great job.

I don't think anyone is giving the offense and Joe credit for the fact they didn't turn the ball over and they did score against what to me was a ferocious defensive performance.

In fact, if I am a Texan, Texan fan, I'd be pissed at the media in general. All anyone says all day is, wow, the Raven's offense sucked. Not how awesome a game the Texan defense played. I personally love defense, even if it isn't the Baltimore Ravens. It is harder to play and harder to do strategically.

One reason I was so upset at the Steelers aside from being Steelers is the got taken to the woodshed by Tim Tebow. That should NEVER happen.

Thanks, FS.

Surely you're familiar with the reports that Oher was sick with a stomach problem(?). I'm not saying it's acceptable to get shredded, but it might be worth a footnote. Drew mentioned it on the radio yesterday morning & I'd heard it elsewhere also, though I don't remember where.

Again, not excusing, but it's worth a footnote.

Thanks for weighing in on the Flacco business.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Film--
    I had started a thread a little while back about my confusion and frustration with the plays called on offense, and in particular asked about the concept of not using what I will now call quick release pass plays. I had referred to "5 hour pass routes", but the idea is the same - I could not (and cannot) understand the insistence of Cameron to use plays where it seems as if the receivers are expected to run extended-time routes when it's obvious during some games that the O-line et al are not providing very much pass protection time.

Certainly every pass play cannot be a 1-step drop and pass, and I have to think that the game plans on offense are developed and designed with certain factors in mind - e.g., run until the D brings more guys into the box and then pass; use passes to the outside if the D is clogging the middle until they have to spread out a bit and then use the middle of the field, etc. And I'm sure that the particular opponent and the type of D they play is considered when deciding how to game plan,

But what I have not been able to grasp is, in some games it seems as if the Ravens start out with passing plays that call for what seems to be the need for a verrrry long pass protection time until receivers can run what seems like verrry time-consuming routes that often appear to gain little or no separation. And all of this is exacerbated by too frequent occasions where the D pass rush is getting great pressure on Flacco. I guess all I am asking is, why don't the Ravens (strategically) run more pass plays where the receivers run shorter/quicker routes and Flacco is not asked to take "extended" drops or time to get rid of the ball? And I'll add that I don't offer this as a simplistic panacea for when the Ravens passing game is faltering, more that it seems like Flacco enjoys greater and more consistent success (i.e., completed passes) when he is running more "quick release pass plays" in the mix.

Thanks...

Blog Entries

Film, based on your analysis throughout this season, do you think McKinnie is a viable option as our LT next year? Encouraging to see him playing really well down the stretch.

I've let it be known for a while now that I feel Michael Oher is a marginal talent and have received a good amount of flack for it. I'm still waiting for him to prove me wrong.

Great Job, Film!