2000 Playoff Run

One of the things I remember from the 2000 Playoff run was how badly the Ravens defense punished the opposing QBs. Of course Wiki is do today so I am unable to review if these QBs actually missed time in the games or not. I remember Siragusa doing what he later referred to as a "ballet move" which to me looked more like a belly flop (but who's nitpicking) onto Ganon which left him curled up on the field for a while. Siragusa also landed a ballet move on McNair which left his slow to get up.

This roughing up the Qb was a signature of that run for me and I think it is the only way the Ravens beat the Patriots is if they pound Brady. What worries me is that there has been little pressure lately. I know it wasn't game-planned against Yates so we let him off the hook but how do you do it against Brady? The guy actually has better numbers against the blitz and the Patriots have an outstanding o-line so 3-4 guys rushing ain't going to get either.

I hope Pagano figures something out.

Re: 2000 Playoff Run

Gannon indeed left the game. I believe the backup was Bobby Hoying, who wasn't bad.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

I like this idea but the way the refs are calling the game has changed a lot since then. Riveron strikes me as the kind of guy who is quick with a flag. That could be a good thing if Torrey is able to get another big PI but we can't give them 15 free yards for "roughing" the passer.

4. Re: 2000 Playoff Run

Quote Originally Posted by sailorsam View Post
    Gannon indeed left the game. I believe the backup was Bobby Hoying, who wasn't bad.
    Well, that's pushing it a little bit. Slightly better than Gannon, let's say. Hoying went 8/16 for 107 yds, 0 TDs, 2 INTs, and a 32 rating. I don't remember whether Hoying or Gannon was in when the Raiders scored their only points of the game, a field goal in the third quarter.

Blog Entries

You're not allowed to hit QBs like that anymore. Those days are long gone.

[QUOTE=chicagoravensfan;405433]I like this idea but the way the refs are calling the game has changed a lot since then. Riveron strikes me as the kind of guy who is quick with a flag. That could be a good thing if Torrey is able to get another big PI but we can't give them 15 free yards for "roughing" the passer.[/QUOTEi

I will gladly trade a flag for either knocking Brady out for any amount of time, or making him worry about oncoming pressure all day.

Blog Entries

I don't think they can knock him out of the game and he doesn't get rattled. But they can pressure him in his face and that has proven to be very effective. Last week the gameplan called for contain; this week is different.

The D will have to get one or two turnovers for the offense and then the offense will have to get TDs out of it. The script is written for them to advance to the SB if they can only take advantage of the opportunity.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

IA with the poster who said they'd take a flag if they could pretty much cream Brady. I don't want him hurt (kinda hehe). I just want him to be so scared that he throws the football down on the ground, and takes off running in the opposite direction EVERY TIME the D lines up.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    You're not allowed to hit QBs like that anymore. Those days are long gone.
    They are indeed. I was watching my video tape of the playoff game versus Denver and Dilfer took a helmet right under the chin strap. No flag, no penalty. Play on.

Regarding Gannon, many people think it was Siragusa that hurt him. While I am sure having that load fall on you doesn't feel good, it was actually Michael McCrary who broke his collarbone on a sack the first play of the game that would be perfectly legal today outside of 1 mid-west dome and one north-east stadium.

Ironically, it was the Raider fans that I remember boasting about the fact that they had knocked out multiple opposing QBs on their way to the AFCCG.