Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bart Scott Homecoming? (Hear me out!)

According to multiple media reports, Bart Scott will be cut by the Jets. He's had a bad offseason so far, flipping off reporters and just generally being a part of the Jets terrible locker room.

The general consensus seems to be that he's fallen off somewhat defensively this year and doesn't play well in the passing game. He's also 32. Over-the-hill LB with eroding physical skills who can't play on 3rd down... hm, sounds familiar.

I know what you're all thinking. What possible reason is there to sign Bart Scott? Well, I should point out that next year, here is our depth chart at ILB:

1) Lewis (may retire, particularly w/SB win)
    2) McClain (Unrestricted free agent)
    3) Ellerbe (Unrestricted free agent)
    4) McClellan (UDFA playing out of position)

So that's 3 out of 4 ILBs that could be off the roster next year. I haven't watched a lot of Jets football this year, so I have no idea how far Scott has fallen off, but in 09 and 10 he was probably the most underrated player on that Jets defense. He was arguably better than David Harris in those years, although Harris got the big money extension.

Anybody else think signing Scott for the veteran minimum might be a good idea? Or, failing that, how else do we fix a BIG potential problem at ILB next year?

Blog Entries

Re: Bart Scott Homecoming? (Hear me out!)

I'd rather keep mcclain, ellerbe and draft someone like hightower. Scott is the 3rd best lb on the Jets. We don't need a slow ILB. We need some lb's that can cover.

Bart should just retire.. DOH!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I'd rather keep mcclain, ellerbe and draft someone like hightower. Scott is the 3rd best lb on the Jets. We don't need a slow ILB. We need some lb's that can cover.
    Agreed. Also, I don't think Scott's ego (and agent) would sign for the veteran minimum, so even if it actually filled a hole (and I'm not convinced it would), it wouldn't be that cheap.

Blog Entries

He was a good player while he was here, but no thanks.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

The issue the Ravens have at ILB is that need someone who can really move, cover and play in space. That's not Bart Scott anymore. I don't currently see that player on the team. They probably look early in the draft. The only really good names out there are Tulloch who is probably staying with the Lions or EJ Henderson who is also not young but from the area.

Nope. Getting younger and faster is the best way to sustain long term success.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

This is why you don't burn bridges! Do you really think Ozzie doesn't have a plan?

You all are making a lot of good points, and I don't disagree--Scott wouldn't solve the Ravens' need for a coverage ILB and he's not young. However, I don't think it's realistic to assume we're going to have all 3 of our top 3 ILBs back next year. McClain might chase money somewhere else, as every ILB who played next to Ray Lewis has done. Ellerbe might want a shot to start elsewhere and I'm still not sure he has the support of the coaches. Ray Lewis might retire.

I don't know if you can solve the ILB problem with JUST a draft pick, especially since even 1st round picks rarely become 16 game starters in their rookie year for the Ravens' D. Drafting Hightower or Burfict would be a good long-term solution but will they really replace Ray in year one?

I think Scott should be in consideration for what he does well, particularly if Ray Lewis doesn't come back: taking on blocks in the run game and hitting the ball carrier between the tackles. He also has the continuity playing in our defense to be more of a leader on the field than a rookie could.

I guess I'm saying Scott makes sense given 2 conditions: 1) One or more of our current ILBs don't come back and 2) he comes cheaply.

I do also like the idea of another FA LB like Tulloch, although Tulloch seems to be a poor fit for our scheme.

I think Scott's personality is no longer a good fit for the Ravens locker room. So even if his physical skills were acceptable I'd still rather not bring him back. I think even McClellan could do just as well, for less money, and with much better team-first behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I know what you're all thinking. What possible reason is there to sign Bart Scott? Well, I should point out that next year, here is our depth chart at ILB:

1) Lewis (may retire, particularly w/SB win)
    2) McClain (Unrestricted free agent)
    3) Ellerbe (Unrestricted free agent)
    4) McClellan (UDFA playing out of position)
    Ellerbe's only presently in his 3rd year, so he'll be a RFA next year, not a UFA.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The issue the Ravens have at ILB is that need someone who can really move, cover and play in space. That's not Bart Scott anymore.
    Exactly. That's one of the reasons the Jets no longer think he's worth the contract - he's no longer a 4 down LB. With all the complaining about Ray's coverage skills, I don't see a fit for Scott.

At this point, any changes need to be to to get younger and faster at LB.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap