Question: About the Sencond Qtr. TD

I watched the the game Sunday. AFC North Champs! Great. When the Ravens drive that lead to the touchdown pass to Pitta, there were, I believe at least three penalties agains't the Bengals that kept the drive a live or at least helped it. A coworker was at the game rooting for the Bengals, (He's a Steeler fan) said that not one of those penalties were legit. How did everone who watched the game remember their take on the penalties?

Re: Question: About the Sencond Qtr. TD

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinPig1 View Post
    I watched the the game Sunday. AFC North Champs! Great. When the Ravens drive that lead to the touchdown pass to Pitta, there were, I believe at least three penalties agains't the Bengals that kept the drive a live or at least helped it. A coworker was at the game rooting for the Bengals, (He's a Steeler fan) said that not one of those penalties were legit. How did everone who watched the game remember their take on the penalties?
    The illegal contact call against Dickson was bogus. I remember there were a couple others and I remember thinking they were odd but seemed reasonable.

The hardest thing for me to explain is why you are discussing it with a Steelers fan. Just remind him that Holmes did not cross the goal line with the ball, and then he can tell you that bad calls happen from time to time, and losers have to learn to (a) deal with it and (b) play better, and then you can say "Thank you very much, I've learned a very important lesson today," and then you can walk away.

Also if he wants to talk about the officiating in away game against the Steelers, remind him that the officials took two Baltimore touchdowns off the board in that game, one on a bogus holding call and one on a premature whistle, so he can STFU about that, too.

Steelers fans. :grbac:
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I would say the unnecessary roughness hit on Dickson was a penalty according to the new rule, and called 100% of the time regardless of who is playing. Complaints against that call are empty; complaints against the rule change itself is another matter.

The illegal contact penalty was the worst call but it also wasn't all that huge in terms of the impact.

The defensive holding call on Clements was a bad call in my opinion, but I have seen worse, and it was pretty darn huge in terms of impacting the game (as we would have had to punt in our own territory without it). That is the one I would have been the most angry about if I were a Bengals fan.

I thought we were the benefactor of some favorable calls on the drive. In particular, the holding on Nate Clements. He slowed Pitta down a little, but I remember saying "if I'm a Bengals fan I'd be going crazy right now."

Incidentally, I thought the refs missed 2 helmet-to-helmet calls on 2 of Pitta's short catches. Both came on TE Flare routes outta the backfield. Both time Pitta was instantly hit with a blow directed to the head/neck area with no call. Not huge
    de-cleater hits, but illegal all the same. Wonder if there will be a fine?

Blog Entries

The only call that I think was gifted to the Ravens on that drive was the personal foul, on the hit to Dickson. The other calls were legit.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I'm not sure why anyone thinks the call on the PF on Dickson wasn't legit. I watched that replay again today, and it's clear that the defender's helmet clacks right up on Dickson's helmet, snapping Dickson's head back. You could also hear it in real-time.

The first penalty was on 3rd and 3 for holding against Pitta early in the drive. Pitta breaks off the line, and the defender has one hand around the waist of Pitta for a couple seconds and right as the ball arrives. That is a hold, and they will call it every time. They showed the replay, and the announcers state "you can clearly see the hand around Pitta's waist". Correct call 100% of the time.

Right after that they called a false start on Oher.

Then we have the Helmet to helmet on Dickson. Anyone want to go back over that one and tell me Nelson didn't hit him in the head? It was clear as day, and they are going to call that every time. He tried to lead with his shoulder but he didn't get quite low enough and the helmets collided. Talk to Goodell about that, it is the rule unfortunately.

The 3rd penalty was for illegal contact. Remember you can't touch a guy past 5 yards. Problem was Maualuga lined up 6 yards off the LOS and then hit (two hands in the chest) Chris Wilson as he ran by him at about 7 yards depth. They showed the overhead shot a play later and again, another easy call that will be made every time.

Tell that inbred to worry about his own sorry team and we are going to kick their ass for a 3rd time if we see them again.

If a team or a fan has to question an officials call as to why their team lost the answer is simple. Their team did not do what was necessary to win the game on the field. The Ravens, specifically Ray Rice and T Suggs made the plays that mattered most when it counted. Bottom line end of story. As the saying goes hold my beer while I kiss your girl.

The hold on Clements was a weak call. They amended the rule (or the interpretation) to allow the defender to place his hand on the receiver as long as he doesn't hold him back or turn him (turning the guy at the hip is usually what we see on the flagrant holds). His hand was there for like a second, Pitta wasn't turned, and Pitta was possibly slowed for a nanosecond. The ball was also a bit overthrown (though it is debatable as to whether it was overthrown by enough to matter). That call is called occasionally, but no way is it called every time. In fact, I would say that happens on almost every play as the receiver interacts and runs by a defender. It is similar to offensive linemen holding. You often see a defender slowly gain an advantage on the O-lineman, from being in front of the O-lineman to beside him, to slighly past and beating him; in almost all cases the O-lineman holds the defender as he is getting beat for a fraction of a second before letting go. In most cases the ref lets it go rather than call the ticky-tack holding every play of every game. It was by far the biggest penalty called all game. It was the equivalent of a turnover, as we would have had to punt if it weren't called.

The illegal contact call was nonsense. That happens every play. It was a bit past 5 yards, and it was small bump, and it was away from the play. Normally those kinds of illegal contact calls so close to the 5 yard threshold are only called if the guy gets severely bumped off his route and the QB tries to throw it there (almost a PI as much as a contact). The farther down the field, the less contact it takes for the refs to call those penalties, but that close to 5 yards it usually takes a lot more. That said, it barely mattered in terms of impacting the game, imo.

I also don't think we were going to lose if those penalties (or any of them) were not called. We were the better team, we ran over them, plain and simple.