Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The AFC North Division is the "biggest, yet ignored" Story of the 2011 Season

As announcers and commentators gush over the transformation of the NFL into an exciting and offensive sport - the AFC North - an "Old School Football" Division - places three teams into the playoffs. All 4 AFC North Defenses are all in the Top Ten re:Points allowed per game but while that may be football - I guess it does'nt qualify as entertainment.

Next week, I want Pitt and Cincy to win.

The weeks after, I want Cincy to humble NE and us to show who we are by beating Pitt and Cincy at home.

And I would love to beat the Packers in the Super Bowl just so I can watch the NFL Network showing highlights of "The Season of the Quarterback" rather than facing the simple fact that Defense wins Championships.
    Last edited by spoon; 01-02-2012 at 07:07 PM.

Re: The AFC North Division is the "biggest, yet ignored" Story of the 2011 Season

If it was the NFC East that sent 3 teams to the playoffs it would be a nonstop news story. AFC North is the best division in football and doing it with good ole fashion defense.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Re: The AFC North Division is the "biggest, yet ignored" Story of the 2011 Season

Good football isn't flashy football - it's sloberknocking blue collar blocking, tackling and running with passing used to the keep the defenses honest and burn them when they aren't.

I hate how much ESPN/NFL Network hype the NFC East, particularly that damn Giant vs Cowboys game last night. And they even had the nerve to talk about how the Eagles "went out on a four game winning streak" and "they should easily be favorites to win the super bowl next year." Give me a break! I haven't even heard them talk about how this division has three playoff teams like they did when the NFC East had 3 in 2007.

espn panders to the major media market teams (and for some reason . . . . Dallas)

There is a reason Pitt and Balt get ignored . . . size of the (perceived) market. It doesn't matter if NY has good teams or bad . . . they will get coverage. The AFC north is a great story and the media pass on it makes it no less impressive.

I will be shocked if defense and running game does not dominate playoffs/

Not only ESPN, but also the NFL Network. Been watching NFLN a lot lately and they'd rather talk about teams from major markets who missed the playoffs (i.e. Jets) than the playoff teams from the AFC North who are in. Freakin' grillbutts!
    "Well, I'd rather live with the hound dogs, for the rest of my natural-born life." Swamp Music by Lynyrd Skynyrd

7. Re: The AFC North Division is the "biggest, yet ignored" Story of the 2011 Season

Really today is a day it's more fun for national media to talk about the implosions of the Cowboys/Jets. They'll have plenty of time to hype the games later in the week, and I suspect when CIN and PIT win this weekend we'll get plenty of conversation about how good the AFC North is.

Dallas = Clev if they were in our Division

Our team plays better with little to no attention.

Quote Originally Posted by myfavoriteboxer View Post
    Really today is a day it's more fun for national media to talk about the implosions of the Cowboys/Jets. They'll have plenty of time to hype the games later in the week, and I suspect when CIN and PIT win this weekend we'll get plenty of conversation about how good the AFC North is.
    Good point. If, after this weekend, 3 of the final 4 teams in the AFC are all from the same division, they'll really have no choice but to recognize it.

But it's obvious that our brand of football is a dying breed - fantasy football is a billion dollar a year industry (and growing), most fans have made it obvious that they want points and inflated stat sheets, and Goodell is hell bent on giving the people what they want. Seems like no fans outside of the AFC North (and perhaps the NFC North) want to see defensive battles. As much as we love seeing our teams go head to head, I'm always surprised at how many times I hear other fans talk about how boring Ravens vs Steelers is. It's unbelievable.

I'm glad my team had their window and made the most of it, and I was able to enjoy it. At the rate things are going, in a few years from now I'm not sure I'll even want to bother watching anymore. Multiple 5,000 yard passers, backups throwing for 480 yards and 6 TDs, frustrating and mind-boggling defensive penalties. Offense clearly sells, but I'm not sure if I'm buying.

I've been watching ESPN and NFLN for the better part of the day and if I have to see anymore of the NYG-Dallas game highlights, interviews, Jerry Jones, etc. I am going to throw my shoe at the TV.

Waited for Ravens-Bengals highlights to decend through the NFLN "ticker" and as soon as it's next up on the list, magically it's replaced by more NFC shit!
    Last edited by camdenyard; 01-02-2012 at 11:33 PM.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Blog Entries

AFCN is the toughest division in the NFL. Hands down.