Vikings Punter Chris Kluwe: "McNabb never made the donation he promised"

Shameful.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...on-to-charity/

When Donnovan McNabb joined the Vikings, punter Chris Kluwe agreed to give up his No. 5 jersey, on a few conditions.

Kluwe is one of the NFL’s freest spirits, so it’s no surprise that a couple of those conditions were off the wall: One was that McNabb had to buy him an ice cream cone. Another was that McNabb had to mention Kluwe’s band, Tripping Icarus, at five press conferences.

The third and final condition was that McNabb would make a $5,000 donation to Kick For A Cure, an organization that supports people with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Kluwe is involved with Kick For a Cure, and he thought it would be a nice gesture for McNabb to show his support.

Unfortunately, that’s a gesture that McNabb hasn’t followed through on: Kluwe told Scout.com this week that McNabb didn’t make the donation. Today I checked in with Kluwe on Twitter to see if maybe the Scout.com article had motivated McNabb to contact him about the donation, but it didn’t.

“No, but I haven’t really had a chance to ask him. I was going to at the end of the season, but then he got released,” Kluwe wrote on Twitter.
    Really? It's 5 grand. That's peanuts to him. Even ignoring the millions he's made in previous years, he got another $5,500,000 this year alone from the Vikings, for half a year's worth of work. He can't donate 0.09% of that after promising to do so?

Kluwe, on the other hand, donates $500 to the same charity every time one of his punts lands inside the 20. He's up to 19 on the season. Chances are he'll wind up making over $10,000 in donations, and by comparison he's "only" making $1.18 mil this year. Good for him for putting McNabb on blast.

He did agree to the terms and sign off on them, all captured on film and available on the internet. Kluwe seems like too nice of a guy to do it, but I'd love to see someone slap McNabb's ass with court papers and make him pay up.
    Last edited by SteelFaninBMore; 12-23-2011 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Bad math

Re: Vikings Punter Chris Kluwe: "McNabb never made the donation he promised"

20 kicks at $500 a pop = $10,000 not $100,000, but the point remains the same, McNabb is embarrassing himself. I am sure he will claim he told one of his people to do it, and then it will get done once this story gets picked up. But I also suspect he may have felt Kluwe should have just given him the jersey, since Kluwe is just the punter, and McNabb was the big bad hired-gun QB (even if it didn't work out).

For tax purposes, McNabb should get on that soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelFaninBMore View Post
    Shameful.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...on-to-charity/

Really? It's 5 grand. That's peanuts to him. Even ignoring the millions he's made in previous years, he got another $5,500,000 this year alone from the Vikings, for half a year's worth of work. He can't donate 0.09% of that after promising to do so?

Kluwe, on the other hand, donates $500 to the same charity every time one of his punts lands inside the 20. He's up to 19 on the season. Chances are he'll wind up making over $100,000 in donations, and by comparison he's "only" making $1.18 mil this year. That's over 8% of his salary. Good for him for putting McNabb on blast.

He did agree to the terms and sign off on them, all captured on film and available on the internet. Kluwe seems like too nice of a guy to do it, but I'd love to see someone slap McNabb's ass with court papers and make him pay up.
    Kluwe is one of my favorite players in the NFL. He put both the NFL and the NFLPA* on blast during the lockout also. He tells it how it is and is hilarious. He's also the one who called Goodell out for not caring about kickers/punters being hit illegally, IIRC.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.287253,-76.940994

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    20 kicks at $500 a pop = $10,000 not $100,000, but the point remains the same, McNabb is embarrassing himself. I am sure he will claim he told one of his people to do it, and then it will get done once this story gets picked up. But I also suspect he may have felt Kluwe should have just given him the jersey, since Kluwe is just the punter, and McNabb was the big bad hired-gun QB (even if it didn't work out).

For tax purposes, McNabb should get on that soon.
    Yeah, just realized that my internal calculator is pumping out extra 0's for some reason.

Fixed it, but as you say, point is still the same. If a guy making $1 mil can donate 10k, surely a guy making 5 times that much can donate half that amount, especially after it was promised.

Quote Originally Posted by goodandfast View Post
    Kluwe is one of my favorite players in the NFL. He put both the NFL and the NFLPA* on blast during the lockout also. He tells it how it is and is hilarious. He's also the one who called Goodell out for not caring about kickers/punters being hit illegally, IIRC.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.287253,-76.940994
    I don't think it's a coincidence that punters and kickers are some of the more laid back, down to earth players in the league. Unlike some of the skill position players who think they're god's gift to the game (and their ego isn't helped by all the media attention they get)....guys like Kluwe get very little attention, and thus are able to stay humbled and realize that they're lucky as hell to get paid hundreds of thousands or even millions just to kick a ball a few times a game.

Kluwe is a great guy and one of the funniest personalties in the NFL

During the off season he wrote an article and destroyed some hack journalist, well that's how I remember it. The article was full of cutting wit and criticized both the league and the union

McNabb will likely blame a personal assistant or accountant here. One of "his people" as the rich and powerful say

Blog Entries
    If you read his last comment, he hasn't mentioned it to McNabb. Do the right thing and call him before you go public

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

8. Re: Vikings Punter Chris Kluwe: "McNabb never made the donation he promised"

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    If you read his last comment, he hasn't mentioned it to McNabb. Do the right thing and call him before you go public
    Gee, it's almost like Chris Kluwe says things like this in public so that people write stories about a punter.

He was asked a direct question and he answered it

It's not like he ran to the media to trash his former team-mate

Blog Entries

He shouldn't have answered it until he talked with McNabb. If McNabb hasn't done it, has Kluwe reminded him? Did they schedule a day to make the donation? This is why he should not have answered the question. It makes McNabb look bad when it might not have gone down the way it is being portrayed.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

He didn't run straight to the media to tell on McNabb but so what if he didn't? He's made it clear to everyone that it's possible that McNabb has simply forgotten to pay/hasn't got round to it and this is probably the most effective way of getting McNabb to pay. If McNabb pays up now and says "I forgot, sorry!" then there's no harm done.