Blog Entries

Football is better than soccer - from a Brit.

Nice read on the British point of view. I work at an international company and I am noticing the number of co-workers interested in "our" game is rising.

Simply because this is a hot topic with games in London. Check out the article below:

LINK

:uk:

Re: Football is better than soccer - from a Brit.

Nice article. I love soccer, but I'd generally prefer to watch football. On the other hand, I think I'd prefer to play soccer.

As a Brit, I agree. It is.

I think I'd differ on the main reasoning. I fell mostly out of 'soccer' due to the predictability of it. In the Premier League, its always, at best, a three horse race. The horses may change on occasion (like Manchester City has seemingly supplanted Chelsea now), but why bother watching if you know who's going to win year after year after year? It'S not like the draft where even if you have a fallow few years, there's a good chance somewhere down the line that your team will be good again.

In the EPL, unless you've found yourself a rich sugar daddy, there's no chance of that occurring. It's not just England either. Spain it's down to two clubs, Germany it's Bayern and everyone else etc. It's just dull.

There are other issues, of course - like the theatrics.

The only thing better about it is the suitability of the name. 'Soccer' (which is a horrible word) has much more to do with actually kicking it than (American) football. Throwball would be closer to the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    Nice article. I love soccer, but I'd generally prefer to watch football. On the other hand, I think I'd prefer to play soccer.
    This is pretty much my feeling. There is a host of games I'd rather play than football, but none I'd rather watch.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Any Given Sunday

I find the whole cap system, draft process and other aspects fascinating
    The fact we started the season and leaving aside the Packers there are any number of teams including the Ravens who could go all the way

If football was like the Premier League then Washington and Dallas might be dominating every year.
    And while I don't know a lot about baseball I read and watched Moneyball and maybe this happens there with the big market teams?

Parity is a fantastic concept and if that was lost during the CBA then possibly football may have started to decline

Just my piece

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Raven View Post
    If football was like the Premier League then Washington and Dallas might be dominating every year.
    That would be horrifying!

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Raven View Post
    And while I don't know a lot about baseball I read and watched Moneyball and maybe this happens there with the big market teams?
    As much as we (Americans) like to complain about the lack of parody in baseball, I don't think it's nearly as dominated by the big money teams as the EPL and some other European soccer leagues.

Last 10 World Series Champs:
    2011 - St. Louis Cardinals
    2010 - San Francisco Giants
    2009 - New York Yankees
    2008 - Philadelphia Phillies
    2007 - Boston Red Sox
    2006 - St. Louis Cardinals
    2005 - Chicago White Sox
    2004 - Boston Red Sox
    2003 - Florida Marlins
    2002 - Anaheim Angels

Last 10 EPL Champs:
    2011 - Man U
    2010 - Chelsea
    2009 - Man U
    2008 - Man U
    2007 - Man U
    2006 - Chelsea
    2005 - Chelsea
    2004 - Arsenal
    2003 - Man U
    2002 - Arsenal

Of course you could make the argument that a league that determines it's champion with a playoff as opposed to using their regular season record is likely to have more sporadic results, but I don't think it's fully accounting for the stark difference here.

This is the primary reason that I really only watch soccer during the World Cup. Of course if DC United comes to Baltimore I'd change my tune in a hot second!