Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Suggs end of season sack total: over/under & DPOY thoughts

With 3 games remaining and sitting at 13 sacks on the season, is 17 a realistic number for Suggs? He seems to get them in bunches when he gets them, so he could very well go over this number, which brings up another question. What would Suggs have to do in these last 3 games to win DPOY?

Re: Suggs end of season sack total: over/under & DPOY thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Tottenham Raven View Post
    What would Suggs have to do in these last 3 games to win DPOY?
    Grow long curly hair.

All he has to do is keep playing the way he has and he's a lock for DPOY IMO. Who else has a better shot?

17 is very realistic. With the state of their O-line, he could easily grab another three in San Diego, and it wouldn't be unrealistic to see another 4 between Cleveland-Cincy. That said, it wouldn't surprise me to see him only get two more in the last three games.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries

With 3 games remaining and sitting at 13 sacks on the season, is 17 a realistic number for Suggs? He seems to get them in bunches when he gets them, so he could very well go over this number, which brings up another question. What would Suggs have to do in these last 3 games to win DPOY?
    Don't care about DPOY. I think Suggs can get 4 more sacks, and 2 additional forced fumbles... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    All he has to do is keep playing the way he has and he's a lock for DPOY IMO. Who else has a better shot?

17 is very realistic. With the state of their O-line, he could easily grab another three in San Diego, and it wouldn't be unrealistic to see another 4 between Cleveland-Cincy. That said, it wouldn't surprise me to see him only get two more in the last three games.
    I think Charles Woodson is also deserving of the award. As far as stats are concerned, I think INTs outweigh Sacks as far as importance goes. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see Woodson get it over Suggs.

It is looking like a 2 horse race right now.

The only thing stopping Suggs from the DPOY is Jared Allen with 17.5 sacks and playing his last 3 games against terrible Olines.

If Allen breaks the record, he will win unfortunately.

Suggs is easily having the best all around year out of any defensive player though.

I think Charles Woodson is also deserving of the award. As far as stats are concerned, I think INTs outweigh Sacks as far as importance goes. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see Woodson get it over Suggs.
    The Packers passing defense is 31st in the league and Woodson has been showing signs of slowing down (he is like 35). He has zero chance of getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu View Post
    The Packers passing defense is 31st in the league and Woodson has been showing signs of slowing down (he is like 35). He has zero chance of getting it.
    Well, one guy who votes on it (Adam Schein) said 2 weeks ago that his vote goes to him. Not sure if that's changed or not, but it shows he's in the conversation.

This is a recent ESPN blog on the DPOY conversation.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...player-of-year

He has a good shot, but I'm not sure he will get it. He is playing lights out this year. This is by far his best season as a Raven. And I realize he will be the leader on defense once Ray Lewis retires. I love how he is playing this year. BSHU!!!

Blog Entries

Sizzle
    T Sck PD Int FF
    58. 13. 5. 2. 6

Allen, Jared
    TK SCK FF INT
    54 17.5 4. 1

Stats are close, but I still think Suggs is more deserving, a key stat not listed is TFL 9usually against the run. Allen is not as good against the run as Sizzle and does not drop into coverage.

It will be interesting the next few games.

Quote Originally Posted by Sua Sponte View Post
    Sizzle
    T Sck PD Int FF
    58. 13. 5. 2. 6

Allen, Jared
    TK SCK FF INT
    54 17.5 4. 1

Stats are close, but I still think Suggs is more deserving, a key stat not listed is TFL 9usually against the run. Allen is not as good against the run as Sizzle and does not drop into coverage.

It will be interesting the next few games.
    Sizzle is responsible for 8 possible turnovers(FF and INT)and Allen only 5. That more than makes up for the sack differential and Suggs has better numbers in every other category. Plus he plays for a top 3 defense whose team is probably going to go deep in the playoffs and have a legit shot at a SB.

They are close but the edge right now goes to Suggs. He is the most complete and versatile defender in the entire NFL right now. Gonna depend how the last 3 games go to see who gets it.