Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unitas

Unitas

Just the name gives Baltimore Colt fans goose bumps. However, now people are challenging the once impossible Unitas feat that will always keep the Baltimore Colts in the record books. Unitas's 47 game TD streak has been argued to be more difficult to beat then Dimaggio's 56 game hitting streak.

Drew Bress now has thrown a TD in 38 straight games and i just saw that Aaron Rodgers has thrown 2 TD's in the first 11 ganes of the season to tie Johhny U's and Dan Marino.

They say records are made to be broken. that phrase should be chnaged to "records are made to be broken except for Johnny U's record.

Re: Unitas

Records are made to be broken. The fact that Unitas's record survived the careers of Elway, Marino, Kelly, Moon, Montana, Young, Favre and so far Manning and Brady is a testament to how far ahead of his time Unitas was. His record has survived despite the creation of the the west coast offenses and run and shoot offenses. If Brees breaks it than more power too him. He is a great player and it does not diminish Unitas' legacy one bit.

I just wish his records were not Indianapolis team records.

If anybody breaks Unitas' record I hope it's Drew Brees. Dude is a class act and probably my fave QB besides Flacco.
    90% of the game is half mental

Blog Entries

If John were still here,he'd be the first one to congratulate him.

The games if Unitas time and today were totally different. In Unitas day, the offense wasn't given the edge by the rule book that today's offense has. With today's rules - no offensive record from Unitas day should stand.

No matter whether or not the record is broken, no one will ever replace what Johnny U meant to football and Baltimore.

All it takes is one bad game.

An amazing record.

The one piece of Baltimore memorabilia I own is signed black and white photo of Johnny U.! I display it in my Steeler Room!

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    The games if Unitas time and today were totally different. In Unitas day, the offense wasn't given the edge by the rule book that today's offense has. With today's rules - no offensive record from Unitas day should stand.
    Agreed. Yet it has stood for over 50 years.
    It took Unitas 5 years to set that record during a time when DE's could head slap O Linemen, DB's could mug WR's all the way down the field and QB's were routinely smashed into the ground after the ball was thrown.

Nowadays it is possible to break the record in less than 3 years with every possible protection afforded the passer and his receivers. And still it is yet to be done.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post

There was no zone defenses in the 50s either. Everything was man to man.
    However, the Colts under Shula were one of the first teams to use it but it backfired in
    SB 3 when Namath beat the blitz and found the dead spots.

Weeb told his receivers before the game, just find the dead spots in
    the zone and Joe will hit you and he did.

We just saw both Ds using the zone Thurs night. Neither team was
    giving up anything over the top but Unitas lasted a long time even
    after he popped his elbo because he could find those dead spots too
    and he read the zones better than anyone.

He beat teams with his brains as well as his golden arm.

Quote Originally Posted by EdReed4HOF View Post
    If anybody breaks Unitas' record I hope it's Drew Brees. Dude is a class act and probably my fave QB besides Flacco.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by JeromeBettis63 View Post
    The one piece of Baltimore memorabilia I own is signed black and white photo of Johnny U.! I display it in my Steeler Room!
    I have an 8" x 10" black and white signed by John when I was a little kid, eating dinner at the Golden Arm.
    .....Support Our Warriors.....