Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Last night's TV ratings....

...was the highest ever for a Thursday night NFL matchup.

http://twitter.com/#!/gregaiello/sta...70050555113474

Re: Last night's TV ratings....

Working in tv I tend to keep an eye on little technical things that I find interesting. One thing is for sure, the NFL Network takes it's job very seriously - they want their product to shine.

For example, when most networks switch from a live program to commercial there is often a few moments of black - no video. Television is delivered 30 frames per second and usually the programming to commercial gap lasts 10 frames. If you ever had a vcr or other recorder that was able to 'skip' commercials, it was looking for this gap to determine when commercials start and stop.

Today I sat down to edit down the game at work and realized the NFL Network runs on a 1 frame commercial gap. That is technically astounding.

Also just to watch the seamless showmanship, good attention to detail and darned good production value, I can't help but think some other networks could learn a thing or two.

Was this broadcast not in 60 frames per second? Or did I miss something?

I am sure you are right. We edit on Avid here which is still 30fps, so I still think in those terms. Either way it's still damn good technical work!

Blog Entries

sure was glad to see Flacco play well in front of such a big TV audience. The perception of him is just wrong and hopefully this helped change some people's minds.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    sure was glad to see Flacco play well in front of such a big TV audience. The perception of him is just wrong and hopefully this helped change some people's minds.
    I agree with you on that. Sure, Flacco has had a few duds in his career, but which QB hasn't? I seem to remember Favre throwing 6 INTs in a game once or twice.

Flacco wasn't asked to do too much last night, but when he had to make a play, he was deadly accurate. Several passes were bullseyes through a very narrow window. He also escaped getting sacked a few times as well, not to mention his conversion rate on 3rd down.

It took them long enough, but they stepped up to the plate... went out and grabbed a really good team. Brad Nessler is great and Mayock is smart color guy.. Their HD broadcast is great.. Their problem to date has been hideous people in the booth (remember Bryant Gumbel? Yikes!) and bad matchups for the most part.

They really lucked out getting the Harbaugh bowl last night and having two top-tier teams this late in the season didn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    It took them long enough, but they stepped up to the plate... went out and grabbed a really good team. Brad Nessler is great and Mayock is smart color guy.. Their HD broadcast is great.. Their problem to date has been hideous people in the booth (remember Bryant Gumbel? Yikes!) and bad matchups for the most part.

They really lucked out getting the Harbaugh bowl last night and having two top-tier teams this late in the season didn't hurt.
    You hit the nail on the head. They finally went out and got and team that is easy to listen to. The announcers they had in the past were just awful.

Quote Originally Posted by 2gigch1 View Post
    Working in tv I tend to keep an eye on little technical things that I find interesting. One thing is for sure, the NFL Network takes it's job very seriously - they want their product to shine.

For example, when most networks switch from a live program to commercial there is often a few moments of black - no video. Television is delivered 30 frames per second and usually the programming to commercial gap lasts 10 frames. If you ever had a vcr or other recorder that was able to 'skip' commercials, it was looking for this gap to determine when commercials start and stop.

Today I sat down to edit down the game at work and realized the NFL Network runs on a 1 frame commercial gap. That is technically astounding.

Also just to watch the seamless showmanship, good attention to detail and darned good production value, I can't help but think some other networks could learn a thing or two.

I'd hope the NFL Network would lead the league in television: the sport and the medium were a match made in Heaven
    (beginning w/ the Colts-Giants championship). Without the Cold War (territorial aggression, militarism: e.g. blitz, long bomb, trenches, etc.; industrial-bureaucratic specialization: e.g under asst. Special Teams coach) and network television, we'd still be watching daytime baseball doubleheaders w/ ads for Natty Boh.

Blog Entries

Now they're reporting it was the most NFL Network game watched ever; regardless of night.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-program-ever/

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRock View Post
    They finally went out and got and team that is easy to listen to. The announcers they had in the past were just awful.
    Now that the NFL Network finally got it right in the announcer's booth, I would like to see them overhaul that pre-game and post-game crew of Faulk, Mariucci, and the Three Stooges. I got around to watching a recording of their schtick when they interviewed Suggs. These guys are terrible. Easy solution: get it down to two analysts, dump the Three Stooges.
    Last edited by Mista T; 11-25-2011 at 06:47 PM.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Mike Mayock is superb, realy knows his stuff

I wasn't familiar with Brad Nessler before but he did fine