Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Justin Bannan 9/24/06

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    The description of the plays we have is very similar, with the only difference I can see coming in our assessment of pressure provided by Bannan. I think of the pocket as an imaginary arc or parabola around the QB. The OL's job is to keep the DL's out of that either by holding tight to a point perhaps 2-3 yards behind the LoS in the middle and also using lateral push on the side to as you say "fan out" the edge rushers. Bannan did not personally penetrate the pocket on any play, although there were some quick passes there.
    Well, the "pressure" was a very comparative analysis. In that, if his pass-rush was substantially better than the other DTs on that play, I'd call it a good pass rush (even if the rush wasn't overly effective). I was just trying to see if his pass-rush was any worse than the other DTs (although i ended up only comparing him to Gregg in that aspect, due to number of plays). And in the handful of plays that I looked at, Bannan's rush wasn't any worse (in fact, in my oppinion it was slightly better; though, neither's pass-rush was particularly effective).
    Last edited by lance1086; 06-16-2007 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I don't have any old games to re-watch, so I have to view what is pointed out by others at this point. What it appears is that Bannan was by a wide margin in either direction our 3rd best DT last year. Ngata and Gregg seperated themselves, but at the same time, Bannan seems to have seperated from Aubrayo and Dwan. Thus, IMO, unless he does improve his penetration on passing downs, which could certainly happen based on his first step, then he will be a short timer here in Baltimore. Now if he can perfect some swin moves and can fish his way into the backfield more often, then he is a valuable cog for this team. It also does appear that he needs to work on gettign lower when defending the run, as it has been pointed out he was getting pancaked back on to his "tookis"(phonics). At minimum, he provides an adequate hevy to allow the top two to catch a breather from time to time. We should have drafted another rotational guy this year, I suppose we now will next year.
    Jonboy, here are the 12 plays of Bannan from the Cleveland game. Quality is kinda low, but take a look at it if you want: http://files.filefront.com//;7803196;;/

[QUOTE=lance1086;39280]

Q2 2/7 Clv 28 13:58

He got tossed from one lineman to another to create a lane... not good. Not good tackling at all, which also showed up in the other earlier large gain pass play.

***Q2 1/10 Clv 26 3:41

Fought off two nice blocks here, amde the takcel. Perhaps the lineman releases because he is ahead of the first down marker??

***Q2 3/1 Clv 35 2:35
    Weird play to analyze. The whole 'D' was in disarray.

I agree, though I think he was almost "lost" alone in a sea of BROWNS, and missed what could have otherwise been a tackle for a loss.

Q2 1/Goal Bal 1 0:29
    This play is missing...

Q4 2/10 Clv 20 14:53
    RDT. 4-man rush. Bannan was pushed to the ground by the LT.

SUMMARY
    *********************************************************T
    Twice a victim of bad tackling. This does not completely excuse his lack of required push. He seems to get off the snap quickly, get s short area push and stall... He neither overwhelms his man nor gets by him. He was able to suck up a double team on more then one occasion. It seems to me he would benefit more from being on the field with Ngata on first down... Tackles seemed to have little trouble riding him wide of the pocket when coming off the edge. Perhaps we should save that for the more fleet footed and keep Bannan inside where he appeared to be more effective. Above comments are where I felt there was something to add or provide counter to Lance's observations. Otherwise I saw what he did.