Thread: Delay of game?

Delay of game?

In the first quarter the Ravens got called for a delay of game penalty after getting a first down. The commentators mentioned that the Ravens hadn't taken a long time to get to the line. Did the timekeeper screw up there? at what point do they reset the play clock and how much time is put on?

Here's how the sequence went:

6:58 ref blows play dead
    6:47 ref indicates first down
    6:37 CBS pops up the play clock with :20 seconds remaining - at this point the ravens are just starting their huddle
    6:17 delay of game

Was that a screw up or were the ravens just very slow to get that play off?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I don't know for sure but at the time I thought they didn't reset the play clock. Looked like harbsfelt the same wat

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Re: Delay of game?

It is 40 seconds from the end of the previous play. The issue arose when the officials took a long time to signal first down. When that happened then the ball was ready for play. When the ball is ready for play the play clock must read at least 25 seconds, it should have been reset.

That said, the Ravens stood around waiting for the signal for first down as well. They should have been huddled up and as soon as it was determined what down and distance it was a play should be in and called.

The Ravens are very slow about getting plays in and getting up to the line. This is often on Cameron, you can see Flacco waiting and waiting at times for a play call. This is stupid, you have a chart for each down and distance, JUST PICK ONE AT RANDOM FOR THAT DOWN AND DISTANCE! Very frustrating when the drunk guy in the stands has more of a sense of urgency than the OC does.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Very frustrating when the drunk guy in the stands has more of a sense of urgency than the OC does.
    Neither Cam nor Flacco probably had to piss as badly at that point.

Other than that point, I agree with you.

While the Ravens can plod at times, and get the occassional delay of game, I think they play at light speed compared to Billick's "offensive" pace.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

PB58, Indeed.