What's different this year?

Curious as to what people think is so different about this team? How in the world did this group change from a team that, under Harbs, always beat teams they were supposed to, to a team that routinely lets up on those teams? Our personnel is the best we've had in a while but maybe they're just assuming they make the playoffs and up the intensity there. Easy to blame coaching as well. So frustrating.

Re: What's different this year?

That is the million dollar question. They handled the Jets, Texans and Steelers and fell on their faces against sub-par teams. Unless they concentrated so hard on how to beat the Steelers that they left themselves vulnerable to other teams. Now I'm hearing that 4-3 defenses give the Ravens trouble. When did that start?

It's amazing to think that a professional team would play down to the level of the competition. But without breaking down a bunch of X's and O's..that's clearly the case. From the coaching to the players. I can't explain it.

In the past, the team probably knew they had a difficult time beating the elite teams so knowing they had to beat the bottom feeders they focused that much harder and simply punished them.

This years team probably has been smelling itself too much and figured since we can now beat the big boys, we can just roll the ball out on the field and win. A lot of teams that have young playmakers are this way. Just this year alone a team like the Pack was down two TD's to the Panthers before they figured it out/turned it on.

What the Ravens have to do is have their leaders re-focus the team and remind them that they have to give maximum effort, focus and concentration in order to handle any team this year.

The good news is that the Ravens are home for their two most important games of the year. What's funny is in the beginning of the year, these seemed like cupcakes.

I heard John Clayton say last night that after the Seattle loss he thinks there is something seriously flawed with the Ravens. Before this game he was picking the Ravens and Packers to meet in the Superbowl.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRock View Post
    I heard John Clayton say last night that after the Seattle loss he thinks there is something seriously flawed with the Ravens. Before this game he was picking the Ravens and Packers to meet in the Superbowl.
    The flaw is that they don't have an identity on offense and worse they panic when they get behind by even a TD.

Harbaugh has got to establish an identity for the offense and make Cam understand that it's what's best for the team.

I think also Calyton is referring to the lack of leadership on offense which is sorely needed.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRock View Post
    Now I'm hearing that 4-3 defenses give the Ravens trouble.
    You heard that from Greg Gumble who is a nincompoop. The Ravens have not had trouble with 4-3 teams. It's something that rattled around in his head yesterday and he said it. It has no merit like most of what he says. Just like when he was going off about Ray Rice getting the penalty on the extra point and Rice doesn't play on the kicking team. He just says stuff without really knowing what he is talking about. we have already spent way too much time on the question of validity of a comment made by one of the Gumble brothers.

Blog Entries

My guess is because in Harb's first two, even three years, the Ravens were viewed as the underdog, the bridesmaid, a good team but not great, etc, while teams like Pittsburgh and New England and Indy were the top tier teams in the AFC, which allowed Harbaugh the ability to play up the underdog thing, the us against the world, and allow the Ravens to sneak up on teams.

This year, from the Week 1 thrashing of Pittsburgh and then completing the sweep, New England being so-so, and Indy being awful, the Ravens were/are viewed as the best in the AFC. It sounds stupid but I definitely believe something simple like that can make a world of difference and it has. There is a whole different kind of pressure on a team when the expectations are sky high and the media and fans are calling them the best.

We seem to play to the level of the opposing team.

Here is my advice: Expect the unexpected,hope for the best,and above all,make sure you have the proper mix of pharmaceuticals to remain comfortably numb.

Two of the losses come as a result of a letdown after big emotional victories over the Steelers. That they were on the road compounded the problem.

Blog Entries

It's not just the Ravens. The Saints lost to the Rams. The Giants lost to the Seahawks. the Chiefs get on a hot streak and then lose back to back to the Dolphins and Broncos. The Eagles have lost to everybody.

The NFL is full of up and down teams. The only 2 teams that have played at a consistently high level have been the Packers and the 49ers.