Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: OT - Paterno announces retirement

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    looks like Joe is out. Sad story all the way around
    Yes it is.

Bye, bye Joe.....and from the reports about the riots, I think the PSU should have their football program lifted for at least a year, hopefully more. Maybe these students can learn something useful from that...
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

Speaking as victim of similar molestation when I when I was a child, this story brings back terrible memories. It took decades to overcome and damaged just about every aspect of my family life. Even now, at 40 years old, I will still have nightmares.

The mere thought, that these men who knew anything, did little or nothing, not only empowered the continual abuse, but set the table for others to be abused in the future disgusts me to the point where I'd become violent with someone defending Paterno. In-action is a click below being the actual abuser.

I for one hope all involved, be it ignorance, cowardice, or purposeful intent to cover up, all go to jail.
    Last edited by StingerNLG; 11-11-2011 at 04:59 PM.

Who gives a shit about Joe Paterno in this story.

Honestly, his legacy is such a minor footnote in this terrible tragedy, his departure does not register on the "sad" meter. Not one bit.

Those poor kids.

It'll be a damn shame if the Penn State football program doesn't get the NCAA death sentence for this. A damn shame. All those guys who knew and didn't go to the authorities, or suspected and didn't go to the authorities, the *real* fucking authorities, not the Dean of Students or whatever-the-fuck, those guys are all toads. Evil, bottom-feeding, toads.

And anyone who thinks there was someone "supervising" Joe Paterno at PSU does not know how football works at PSU.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Hey guys.

I've been reading over the thread and I have to say this is no longer appropriate for the sports forums. I understand it's a sports team and all, but the conversation is starting to transcend into some other areas that just should not be debated here.

I'm sliding this over to the Current Events forum where I think it fits more.

Trap, you need to think a little harder about the point you were trying to make. No matter what your opinions are about certain things, you cannot equate it to child abuse. You just can't.

Which is an opinion that not everyone else shares, so pointing it out as fact is going to elicit the reactions you got. And of course why the thread has to end up here.
    Last edited by StingerNLG; 11-11-2011 at 05:00 PM.

Moving on...
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Who gives a shit about Joe Paterno in this story.

Honestly, his legacy is such a minor footnote in this terrible tragedy, his departure does not register on the "sad" meter. Not one bit.

Those poor kids.

It'll be a damn shame if the Penn State football program doesn't get the NCAA death sentence for this. A damn shame. All those guys who knew and didn't go to the authorities, or suspected and didn't go to the authorities, the *real* fucking authorities, not the Dean of Students or whatever-the-fuck, those guys are all toads. Evil, bottom-feeding, toads.

And anyone who thinks there was someone "supervising" Joe Paterno at PSU does not know how football works at PSU.
    I agree with most of this, but, I am not sure of all the details and I don't know if anyone other than the Grand Jury really is but these are not recruiting violations or giving improper benefits to players. So I am not sure they should get the death penalty.

Other than that, Spot on, those people that did nothing about what they were told about, ESPECIALLY what that graduate student witnessed, is completely despicable and border-line subhuman

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I agree with most of this, but, I am not sure of all the details and I don't know if anyone other than the Grand Jury really is but these are not recruiting violations or giving improper benefits to players. So I am not sure they should get the death penalty.

Other than that, Spot on, those people that did nothing about what they were told about, ESPECIALLY what that graduate student witnessed, is completely despicable and border-line subhuman
    I think you hit the nail on the head of the potential reason for and against NCAA action.

I don't know what authority the NCAA would have here. It's not a recruiting violation, as you say. On the other hand, it appears what happened here was a NCAA football program coach was doing this on the football program's space and shielded from law enforcement by other NCAA football program staff.

If the NCAA *can* discipline for that, then I think their death penalty is appropriate.

Not just for what they did, but to drive home with an iron spike the point that football programs, which at many campusses have tremendous power, are not insulated from the world of Doing the Right Thing.
    Festivus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    I think you hit the nail on the head of the potential reason for and against NCAA action.

I don't know what authority the NCAA would have here. It's not a recruiting violation, as you say. On the other hand, it appears what happened here was a NCAA football program coach was doing this on the football program's space and shielded from law enforcement by other NCAA football program staff.

If the NCAA *can* discipline for that, then I think their death penalty is appropriate.

Not just for what they did, but to drive home with an iron spike the point that football programs, which at many campusses have tremendous power, are not insulated from the world of Doing the Right Thing.

I'm not sure of their authority either, I think since like you've said it in some way involves sports the could get involved.

Right now, I like their stance. Since these are so serious and involve criminal acts they are letting that play out before doing anything.

Nothing quite like a 21st Century character lynching.

No trial, no testimony, no facts, no defense. Anything that the 'accused' says, thinks, or does - to the lynch mob is a admission of guilt - hang them, hang'm higher!

Blog Entries

Not funny.