Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

The Penn State Scandal Thread (Re-Opened)

It's official.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ire-end-season

A sad way to end a storied coaching career. Covering this up ultimately cost him more than exposing it immediately would have...

Re: OT - Paterno announces retirement

He should step down immediately not at the end of the year. He knew what was going on and should have called the police. If it had been one of his grandchildren I am sure thats what he would have done.

Blog Entries

I agree he should not coach another game. It'll be a circus anway - do the right thing and step down now.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

He could still be forced to step down earlier by the Board of Trustees

Blog Entries

He' lost my respect.

He's gotta go immediately. Still trying to hang on.

He just doesn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    He' lost my respect.

He's gotta go immediately. Still trying to hang on.

He just doesn't get it.
    Yeah, someone comes to you as an employer and tells you they saw a co-worker anally sodomizing a 12 year old in the shower......ummm, so you don't do anything about that? (That was the grand jury report on TWO incidents in the Penn State athletic facility.)
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

He should have been removed yesterday.

This excerpt from this article http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...#ixzz1dEypBC1I is spot on. Joe needs to go now. What burns me up about this is that the guy still does not get that he was wrong. He still demonstrates the arrogance and selfishness that lead to this going unadressed in the first place. You would think a normal functioning human being would see they were wrong, admit they made the worst mistake of their life and step down begging the public to forgive them. Not Joe though.....because he is bigger than all that.

To hell with Paterno’s 409 wins, his two national championships, his pristine and carefully-constructed image and even his cuddly “JoePa” nickname. A series of alleged reprehensible crimes took place over more than a decade on his watch. He forfeited the right to walk away on his own terms.

Worse, his decision to do so is selfish. Every day that he remains at the head of the football program and as the face of the school, as this tragedy unfolds, is another day he invites circuses like the ones playing out all day Tuesday on campus: The aborted press conference; his son’s sporadic appearances as pseudo-spokesman; the pep rally on the coach’s lawn; and the impromptu demonstrations in the streets of State College and around his statue at Beaver Stadium.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

That's what happens at that level. They think they are God.

Woody Hayes thought he could get away with slapping a player. So did Frank
    Kush.

They think they are above the law like Nixon.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    He should have gone to the cops. His father told him not to.

I posted a link on the other thread showing it's a crime not to
    report child abuse.
    Should the grad assistant have called the cops ...yes...he should have called the cops to pick up Sandusky's beaten and battered body from the shower if you ask me but he should have called regardless.

That being said, had JoePA, Curley, Spannier and all those supposed "leaders of young men done what they should have the abuse still would have stopped with that last victim. These men should have drove him to the police station, should have been there to support this young man in doing the right and morally decent thing to do. Instead they chose to show the young man how to sweep the dirt under the carpet and turn a blind eye to the suffering of others. Now this same man (Paterno) wants to dictate to PSU and the public at large how he is gonna step away. Its a farce. Its arrogance at its height. Its just a microcosm of the attitudes and lack of a grip on reality that these people running their own little fiefdom called Happy Valley (ironic huh) have. Joe should be UNGRACIOUSLY FIRED. He should become the poster boy for what happens when your an accessory after the fact by doing nothing. Sorry Joe, I don't care how much money you donated, how many charities you give to, how many little kids you pat on the head in the hospital. You had an opportunity to show the world the right way to protect our children, you had a chance to demonstrate that holier than thou morality you tout and did not. Instead you sat on your hands and let a rapist and molester continue to use his ties to your program to accumulate more victims.

Is Joe a bad guy? I have no clue. I do know he did a very bad thing, even if it was not "illlegal" it was immoral in every sense of the word. There are people sitting in prison right now who have done far less. Its time that someone with some stones at PSU takes back that university and begins to realize the gravity of the situation they are in.
    Last edited by StingerNLG; 11-11-2011 at 04:56 PM.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Hey check out this video at least one kid at that PSU rally has some stones. He may waffle a bit but the kid has the right idea and sadly seems to have firmer grip on morality then the men who run the institution he attends. I can say this ....if this was my kid I would be proud as hell of him. Its not easy to get up and tell your peers they are wrong.

http://www.businessinsider.com/stude...aterno-2011-11
    -Ray Lewis

I get such a kick out of everyone's holier than thou responses in these incidents ... there is nothing short of taking a double barrell shotgun to the perpertrator that will staisfy the media and all those that are on their high horse - of course if the double barrel was used they they would be pilloried for over responding to the situation. The reality is that there is NOTHING that someone placed in Paterno's situation can do the would not be criticized by large segments of the public and the media (all of which are forming the opinions based on the mearest scraps of factual information) - a genuine lynch mob mentality.

Let's find a tree and hang them....Hang them High!