Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: And then Bill Barnwell publishes this . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Firststater View Post
    I don't care what anyone says. I will go to my grave defending Smith and that "drop." Fans are calling it a drop, so-called national experts are saying it. Baltimore radio jappers are saying it 24-7. I contend that Torrey never had control of, or potentially had control of, that ball. The ball hit his fingertips and bounced off his hands going forward.

This was after he ran, twisted, slowed when Flacco scrambled, took off again, got held, sped up and finally took off again and stretched in the air trying to catch the overthrown ball. He was never in place in space in time to catch that ball.

He dropped an earlier ball in the game. He also caught several others. Boldin's drop was a bonafide, in-the-chest drop. No question, no controversy. Smith's ball in controversy was not a drop it was merely an incompletion, and I wish that is what people would start calling it.

How do you "drop" a ball in the NFL that only hits your fingertips as the ball is clearly sailing away from you. 100% of the time in football it's called incomplete with absolute certainty. That was not a drop, it was just a simple uncompleted pass. Smith will take the blame because he is a rookie and felt he let the team down. If he were not a rookie people would not have blamed him. However, immediately after the play folks immediately called it a drop, and will not now change their storyline even after he won the game. Ego, and the fact that the man is a rookie? It would hurt far too much pride if anyone changed. The fool Bayless is the one person who sees it the way I did, according to comments made yesterday.

Immediately after the miss, the Sandusky correctly called it an incomplete in real time, and he was right then, and the words recorded on the tape are still right. Everyone is else wrong!
    Next time you see a replay of that drop, look at how Smith's arms aren't even fully extended. And it didn't go have his "fingertips," it went off his fingers.

If he'd judged it better he would have had it. Then he redeemed himself, because luckily he had a chance, unlike Boldin in PIT last year or Clayton in NE two years before that.

Not sure why you need to go to your grave worrying about it, but that's your choice.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Re: And then Bill Barnwell publishes this . . .

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Next time you see a replay of that drop, look at how Smith's arms aren't even fully extended. And it didn't go have his "fingertips," it went off his fingers.

If he'd judged it better he would have had it. Then he redeemed himself, because luckily he had a chance, unlike Boldin in PIT last year or Clayton in NE two years before that.

Not sure why you need to go to your grave worrying about it, but that's your choice.
    Yea

And even if you argued that the pass was too difficult to be classified as a drop, it still doesn't change the fact that Smith slowed down (his mistake) and thus made the catch more difficult than it had to be. The ball was pretty much perfectly thrown.