Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ray Rice TD and Holding?

So, was it just me or did we not lose any yards for that Holding on T. Smith? He ran it from 1st and 10 at the 23, then we got called for Holding and it was... 1st and 10 at the 23. Announcers didn't mention it, haven't seen anything on the forums about it. Did I just misunderstand something?

Re: Ray Rice TD and Holding?

10 yards from the spot of the foul I guess... Was holding 10 yards down field? That is the only scenario I could think of unless there was an error spotting the ball.

I thought Holding negated the play period. I was expecting 1st and 20 on the 13. Not that I'm complaining, we've had a ton of calls go against us over the years, but wow. :P

Blog Entries

LOL @ calling a very minor hold vs. T. Smith...in a game where helmets were clanging. IMO, Ray Rice had a legit TD. The refs take over the game again, how horrible... Bc

Oh I thought it was a BS call. He shoved whatshisname down on his ass, then got drug down after him. Was a nitpicky call at best.

Blog Entries

It's 10 from the spot of the foul.

Quote Originally Posted by StaticRaven View Post
    I thought Holding negated the play period. I was expecting 1st and 20 on the 13.
    It just depends on the holding call scenario.... I think. If it's on the O-line or at the point of attack (which it usually is on passing plays) the play is called back to the spot (LOS) and yards are marked off from there. If it's holding while blocking on a long run or run after catch, it is marked off from the spot of the holding. I haven't read the rule book... but this is how I have interpreted it from my decades upon decades of wtaching the game...

Blog Entries

it's 10 from the spot. The guys on SiriusNFL are killing the refs on that call; haven't heard one who agrees with it. It was close, could've gone either way but I sure hated to start the game that way.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Ah, alright. Thanks for the clarification. I was having a serious WTF moment there. :P

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    10 yards from the spot of the foul I guess... Was holding 10 yards down field? That is the only scenario I could think of unless there was an error spotting the ball.
    That's correct.
    The spot of the so-called foul, was right at the imaginary first down line (on the tv replay). So the foul negated the 1st down/TD. So, what would have been a 1st down/or in this case a TD, results in -10 and 1st down.

Quote Originally Posted by StaticRaven View Post
    Ah, alright. Thanks for the clarification. I was having a serious WTF moment there. :P
    I too was having a serious WTF moment, but it had nothing to do with the spot of the ball.

Said this in another thread but it bears repeating, IMO.

If you grab the outside shoulder of the defensive player while basically standing in front of the side judge, it's going to get called every damn time -- regardless if its ticky-tack or not.

Now add into the equation Rice was running right by Smith right as he grabbed, the defensive player doing his best impersonation of a European soccer player and that these refs are horrible in general and I am kind of shocked so many think this was an outrageous call.