Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Mcphee....

Can Mcphee....

Be the next Suggs.... He has a strong motor , and with more PT ,Tech, and work. He can be our next great pass rusher.

Re: Can Mcphee....

Doubt it, but that doesn't mean he can't be a great player or even the next great pass rusher for the Ravens. The thing is, Suggs is much more than just a great pass rusher. His ability against the run, while still maintaining the ability to rush the passer the way he does, sets him apart and is very rare. Suggs also has natural athletic ability that McPhee probably won't ever have.

3. Re: Can Mcphee....

Think McPhee is more of a 2 & 3 technique DT. To whereas Suggs can play that hybrid DE/OLB position that is used as a 5 technique.

Suggs, IMHO is a much more complete football player. Not to knock McPhee. I think McPhee can be a Richard Seymour type DT if he continues on this pace.

I think with the right training Mcphee can be the next suggs. Suggs came in with power and each game he improved his technique. He was rushing the Qb alot and his weak spot was coverage. I remember he would rush pass the Rb lol

5. Re: Can Mcphee....

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Maniac View Post
    I think with the right training Mcphee can be the next suggs. Suggs came in with power and each game he improved his technique. He was rushing the Qb alot and his weak spot was coverage. I remember he would rush pass the Rb lol
    McPhee is a DT, Suggs has always been a DE/OLB. Two totally different type players.

McPhee is a DT that rotates, Suggs is an every down player.

Quote Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
    McPhee is a DT, Suggs has always been a DE/OLB. Two totally different type players.

McPhee is a DT that rotates, Suggs is an every down player.
    McPhee will be a every down player, taking on the role of Redding.

7. Re: Can Mcphee....

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Maniac View Post
    McPhee will be a every down player, taking on the role of Redding.
    Redding, McPhee, Jones, Ngata, Cody & McKinney or whoever the 6th DLineman is, rotate. There are zero 300lb DLineman that play every down in the NFL. Ngata probably plays about 80% of the snaps.

Again, McPhee is a nice player, but I don't see him playing at 260lbs and dropping into coverage. He is in there to rush the passer and help stop the run.

Quote Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
    Redding, McPhee, Jones, Ngata, Cody & McKinney or whoever the 6th DLineman is, rotate. There are zero 300lb DLineman that play every down in the NFL. Ngata probably plays about 80% of the snaps.

Again, McPhee is a nice player, but I don't see him playing at 260lbs and dropping into coverage. He is in there to rush the passer and help stop the run.
    McPhee can be a hybrid , it depends on how they use him. Right now he is in similar packages to get some PT. We are loaded on defense and we will have to wait and see how they are going to use Mcphee. He still has a chance to be as good as Suggs.

Suggs 6-3 260 Mcphee 6-3 280.... Its not out of the question for him to become a hybrid.

Blog Entries

mcphee plays a different position. but he does bring some nice pressure from the inside, which is something we didn't have last year.

he is like the new trevor pryce. hopefully we can rely on a rotation of ngata/cody/mcphee for years to come.

when you think about it, the dl and secondary (as long as williams/webb get extended) are pretty much set for years. we just need a stud ILB to fill in once ray goes.

Quote Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
    Doubt it, but that doesn't mean he can't be a great player or even the next great pass rusher for the Ravens. The thing is, Suggs is much more than just a great pass rusher. His ability against the run, while still maintaining the ability to rush the passer the way he does, sets him apart and is very rare. Suggs also has natural athletic ability that McPhee probably won't ever have.

That is very true. Although he hasn't done it as much this year, he's also pretty darn good in coverage as a LB when asked. Non-Raven fans can argue there are better pass rushers in the NFL but I challenge any of them to find a LB who is more versatile and dominant in all three areas. (pass rush, vs. run, and coverage)

Blog Entries

Mcphee is a player. Helluva a passrusher... For a dt/de. Suggs is a completely diferent type of player. Youre comparing apples and oranges. Both are good (great in suggs case) at their respective positions, just be happy to have them both on our team. Still not sure how so many missed out on mcphee.
    -JAB