Return of the Jumbo Package?

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/201...vens-go-jumbo/

The Ravens used a lot of the off-balanced and jumbo packages back in 2008 when they had swing tackle Adam Terry. They also liked to use it some when they had Chris Chester.

With Reid stepping up, it could be something the Ravens show more of going forward.
    Makes sense that we'd start to see more of the jumbo package like we did in 08 when Lorenzo Neal was here especially with Vonta Leach wrecking guys

Blog Entries

Re: Return of the Jumbo Package?

i would like to see them use it against the bengals. nothing else has worked against them the last 2 years. get it so they have to stack the box and run everything off that.

I'd rather see them run a two tight end set. It's similar to a jumbo but gives us the option of using either one as a receiver or blocker. Of course the TE's don't block as well as the extra tackle but I never saw us do that much damage with the jumbo package.

Plus it limits us in the passing game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lap View Post
    I never saw us do that much damage with the jumbo package.

it plays to the strength of the team, which is the defense. jumbo package took us to the AFCCG in 2008.

no matter what they do against the bengals, its hard to imagine the ravens having much of a passing game against them anyway. get the pressure off joe and try to dominate the line of scrimmage. joe still hasn't looked any better against the cover 2, and the bengals are one of the best at it. put that game in the hands of the RB's and the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    it plays to the strength of the team, which is the defense. jumbo package took us to the AFCCG in 2008.

no matter what they do against the bengals, its hard to imagine the ravens having much of a passing game against them anyway. get the pressure off joe and try to dominate the line of scrimmage. joe still hasn't looked any better against the cover 2, and the bengals are one of the best at it. put that game in the hands of the RB's and the defense.
    The jumbo package was good for I would guess about 3 yards a crack on average. From my vantage point I didn't see it gettting us any more rushing yards than a standard formation run play most of the time. I would use it in short yardage formations (it worked well in that situation) but would prefer the flexibility of a two tight end set. Even if the jumbo was more effective than I remember, it is just too limiting to be used as a staple on offense. Once in a while, mix it up, sure. The defense doesn't have to play pass as much with one less real receiver on the field. But to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lap View Post
    I'd rather see them run a two tight end set. It's similar to a jumbo but gives us the option of using either one as a receiver or blocker. Of course the TE's don't block as well as the extra tackle but I never saw us do that much damage with the jumbo package.

I think the two TE formations are our most potent. Two of our best offensive performances (Pitt, AZ) featured a healthy amount of the two TE alignment. That being said, I also support giving the jumbo personnel a whirl, especially with a lead. But...

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/201...vens-go-jumbo/

Makes sense that we'd start to see more of the jumbo package like we did in 08 when Lorenzo Neal was here especially with Vonta Leach wrecking guys
    I hope Reid has played well enough in practice to merit consideration for more playing time. Stepping is one thing, playing two snaps is another, but being a legit contributor on the O line is another thing entirely.
    Long days and pleasant nights.

Blog Entries

If Harrison and Woodley are both out, it might be really difficult for the Steelers to stop the run.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

8. Re: Return of the Jumbo Package?

was Cam Cameron reading my thread on this site or am I am freggin' mind reader? Posted this thread a few days ago...

http://ravens24x7.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77377
    Last edited by Tspot-D-Ravenator; 11-02-2011 at 01:37 AM.