Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Steelers open as 3 1/2 point favorites

Here's the LINK
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Re: Steelers open as 3 1/2 point favorites

I was guessing 5, wow.

Sounds about right, dead even, with home field adjustment.

Blog Entries

Not surprising. The public loves Pittsburgh, so they have to give out points to get some interest putting money on the Ravens. In fairness, it is usually a close score in these games. I wouldn't trust anything important on having the Ravens (or any NFL team) to cover a spread in a road game, particularly a rivalry game like this.

But I think the line is indicative of the fact that the oddsmakers really don't see Pittsburgh winning this one. It looks to me that they are expecting a Ravens win, and a cover in the worst case.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    Not surprising. The public loves Pittsburgh, so they have to give out points to get some interest putting money on the Ravens. In fairness, it is usually a close score in these games. I wouldn't trust anything important on having the Ravens (or any NFL team) to cover a spread in a road game, particularly a rivalry game like this.

But I think the line is indicative of the fact that the oddsmakers really don't see Pittsburgh winning this one. It looks to me that they are expecting a Ravens win, and a cover in the worst case.
    Curious about your comment on the odds makers. How do you explain that thinking?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DkBlue View Post
    Curious about your comment on the odds makers. How do you explain that thinking?
    not to be a smart ass but it looks like he did.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    not to be a smart ass but it looks like he did.
    Ok, you lost me. Good luck.

Oddsmakers expect more money to go on PIT after the last 2 weeks.

And blowouts in this series are very rare. I can only think of 4 games in the past 5 or 6 years that were decisive victories.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DkBlue View Post
    Ok, you lost me. Good luck.
    He is not talking about the national public in general, and how they think that game will go. He is merely talking about the odds-makers.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Who cares?

Doesn't mean a thing - ask all those people who lost money when the Ravens didn't cover the spread.

TO expand on what SPRaven is saying,

He's speculating that this line is used to even the books.

Often times it stems from a team having a large fanbase. Often, more casual betters place their money on their personal favorite team, as opposed to who may actually win the game.

In a big media game like this, and given how its now receiving attention as the best rivalry in sports, there should be even more "casual" action on the Steelers.

To combat a large team fanbase and encourage action on the opposing teams, the oddsmakers often give a team more or less points than is actually needed so the odds makers don't lose money when it comes time to pay up.

The Oddsmakers set the line to try and balance the money on each side. The more points the Steelers give the more money comes on the Ravens. Has nothing to do with winning or losing. All they care about it ten percent of the action.