Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

All is not Well - Cam & Flacco

From today's CC Times (http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/sports/ravens-cameron-audible-procedure

Even though Flacco supposedly has the green light to call audibles or offer suggestions for the game plan, it doesn't seem like he has actually been granted significantly more responsibility over the direction of the offense in his fourth NFL season.

Cameron indicated that Flacco has the authority to change plays or influence the game plan, but he also suggested that the Ravens are still working toward that goal.

There still seems to be something of a disconnect, though, between the stated goals and what actually goes on with the offense.

"I think that's something you always want to work for," Cameron said. "Joe and I have talked about that. He knows this and understands this. He can call any play that he feels he needs to. He can suggest one at any time. He's made several suggestions this year.

"He knows when he suggests one, I call it. I just believe in that. I come from that kind of environment where the quarterback gets involved in the play-calling. He's had a significant amount of input, and I'd love for him to do that."
    Seems to me, based on that last comment specifically, that Cam is digging a little at Flacco. Deflecting some of the criticism perhaps. But to say "I'd love for him to do that" suggests that Cam is saying that he's doing his part, but Flacco isn't. Who know's what the truth is, but it comes across as Cam being defensive and looking out for himself. If nothing else, it makes it clear that they're not on the same page.

As the team moves on from that disaster, Cameron said he's encouraging Flacco to take on a greater role in shaping the offense.

"You always tell him, 'Hey, you got it,' " Cameron said. "The next thing you know, they need help. Sometimes what I've done with guys in the past, they look over, and sometimes they need a play. I said 'Don't be afraid. Don't let your pride get in the way if you need an idea. You need a call, all you got to do is press a button and you can talk to the guy instantly.' It's something that obviously can work."
    What a freaking ego. He's comes across as a condescending prick.

Re: All is not Well - Cam & Flacco

Quote Originally Posted by ]<ing View Post
    What a freaking ego. He's comes across as a condescending prick.
    That quote is so full of doubletalk and ducking it's ridiculous. He shouldn't be allowed to talk to the media if, when he opens his mouth, he looks so much like an arrogant liar throwing blame on a player.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

3. Re: All is not Well - Cam & Flacco

I truly believe Joe has input on the plays before the game, but not on the play calling during the game. There is a difference here.

Blog Entries

looks like more hersay and rumors to get a story... a whole lot of 'it doesn't seem, it still seems'... speculation.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I think my concern with Flacco is, why doesn't he just take it? You think Peyton Manning would listen to some OC calling plays and saying "Don't you dare audible out and call your own play?" He'd chuckle, say "Okay boss," then go out and audible all but two or three.

I'd like to see Flacco just take control of this offense. Not saying he could do it effectively. But I'd like to see if he can.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    I think my concern with Flacco is, why doesn't he just take it? You think Peyton Manning would listen to some OC calling plays and saying "Don't you dare audible out and call your own play?" He'd chuckle, say "Okay boss," then go out and audible all but two or three.

I'd like to see Flacco just take control of this offense. Not saying he could do it effectively. But I'd like to see if he can.

- C -
    I would tend to agree, but Peyton Manning is arguably one of the best QB's of all time...plus, he's 35/36 years old. I doubt he'd even work with Cam. He'd be the first one into Polian and Irsay's office telling them to fire Cam or he wants a trade.

For all intents and purposes, Flacco is still only 26 years old. It's not easy for a 26 year old to stand up to a 50 year old who's been in the NFL coaching arena since Flacco was in high school.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

7. Re: All is not Well - Cam & Flacco

Cameron is a real piece of work.

Not so thinly veiled blame for his QB.

That was really stupid.

The Ravens biggest problem is going to be motivating the offense to play well.

I hope they privately tell Flacco that turning around the offense won't save Cameron.

Where's Harbaugh?

Get a muzzle on Cam.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    looks like more hersay and rumors to get a story... a whole lot of 'it doesn't seem, it still seems'... speculation.
    Direct quotes. A far cry from hearsay and rumor. Cam opened his mouth, and his ego crawled out and did all the talking for him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ]<ing View Post
    Direct quotes. A far cry from hearsay and rumor. Cam opened his mouth, and his ego crawled out and did all the talking for him.
    direct quotes from the guy that wrote the article maybe.

Even though Flacco supposedly has the green light to call audibles or offer suggestions for the game plan, it doesn't seem like he has actually been granted significantly more responsibility over the direction of the offense in his fourth NFL season
    There still seems to be something of a disconnect, though, between the stated goals and what actually goes on with the offense.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post

- C -
    Agreed, you'd like him to take ownership of the offense. In situations where Cam is taking too long to get the call in just make a call and go with it. What can Cam really do? The longer it takes him to get the call in the ability for Flacco to read the D pre snap and Birk to make line calls is jeopardized. At the end of the day i dont think anybody including Harbs would fault Joe for doing it.

I would have agreed with that earlier...until I saw video of Cam basically having to beg Flacco to take a QB sneak on that first TD drive against the Texans 2 weeks ago. Cam obviously called another play, but in a voice that was between a yell and whine, he said "Joe if you see the QB sneak there, take it!" "Take Joe, Take it"!

While I do think that Cam is restricting, I don't think it's anywhere near where so many believe.

Blog Entries

Smoove already broke this down in a previous thread