Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pats at Pitt

Re: Pats at Pitt

Quote Originally Posted by DkBlue View Post
    I don't think it is possible to stop that system. No one has done it. You have to outscore them. I would love ot see both teams in the thirties and make it an exciting game.
    I do agree with you that the Steelers need to outscore them in this game, and I think they'll come out with that approach - I expect no-huddle early and often, and many 3-4 receiver sets with Wallace/Brown/Sanders/Cotchery (if Ward can't go).

But you can stop them, if you have the right personnel. The Giants held them to 14 in the SB a few years back, when the offense was unstoppable. Like most QBs, if you get pressure, and get them moving, you can stop their offense.

The key is getting pressure without a lot of guys - if you blitz him, he's just going to find someone quickly and kill you with short to intermediate passes. The Giants were able to get pressure up the middle with their d-line, while still leaving enough guys in coverage to keep Brady holding onto the ball.

Not sure if the Steelers can do it.

Blog Entries

The one thing that is constant with Belicheck is developing a plan to take away the #1 threat. IMO that's Wallace. I suspect they're game planning to keep him under wraps and take their chances on the tight end and other receivers.

Is Ward playing? What about the running back situation?

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelFaninBMore View Post
    I do agree with you that the Steelers need to outscore them in this game, and I think they'll come out with that approach - I expect no-huddle early and often, and many 3-4 receiver sets with Wallace/Brown/Sanders/Cotchery (if Ward can't go).

But you can stop them, if you have the right personnel. The Giants held them to 14 in the SB a few years back, when the offense was unstoppable. Like most QBs, if you get pressure, and get them moving, you can stop their offense.

The key is getting pressure without a lot of guys - if you blitz him, he's just going to find someone quickly and kill you with short to intermediate passes. The Giants were able to get pressure up the middle with their d-line, while still leaving enough guys in coverage to keep Brady holding onto the ball.

Not sure if the Steelers can do it.
    Not sure the 3-4 can bring the kind of D-line pressure that the Giants brought. It certainly isn't their style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    The one thing that is constant with Belicheck is developing a plan to take away the #1 threat. IMO that's Wallace. I suspect they're game planning to keep him under wraps and take their chances on the tight end and other receivers.

Is Ward playing? What about the running back situation?
    Ward hints he is going to play but he hasn't practiced. Running backs are all healthy.

Blog Entries

just saw this report that says Ward is highly unlikely. I still say Pats will focus on not letting Wallace get behind them.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ard-will-play/

just saw this report that says Ward is highly unlikely. I still say Pats will focus on not letting Wallace get behind them.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ard-will-play/
    You're right. Of course, the Cardinals tried to take Wallace out of the game too (besides the 95 yard TD, he was pretty much shut down)....so Brown had 7 for 102, Sanders and Miller both had ~50 and a TD each.

I love Ward, but again, I'm kind of glad he won't be playing. When he's starting, one of the talented younger guys is losing reps. He's at the point in his career now where until Tomlin scales back his snap count, he's holding the offense back.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelFaninBMore View Post
    You're right. Of course, the Cardinals tried to take Wallace out of the game too (besides the 95 yard TD, he was pretty much shut down)....so Brown had 7 for 102, Sanders and Miller both had ~50 and a TD each.

I love Ward, but again, I'm kind of glad he won't be playing. When he's starting, one of the talented younger guys is losing reps. He's at the point in his career now where until Tomlin scales back his snap count, he's holding the offense back.
    If anything Sanders will demand more coverage given his speed. We forget sometimes what a threat this kid was at SMU.

Blog Entries

it's those 95 yd type players - quick long scores that kill a team. If he gets one of those Sunday then the Pats failed IMO

it's those 95 yd type players - quick long scores that kill a team. If he gets one of those Sunday then the Pats failed IMO
    No question that threat keeps the defense on edge. These young Steeler's receivers have energized this offense.

I guess Belicheat knows what he's doing, but this is a good sign for us heading into tomorrow.

Patriots waived CB Leigh Bodden.

Simultaneous to a report of the move by Profootballtalk.com, Patriots beat writers asked coach Bill Belichick for a comment on Bodden's play this season. Belichick's response: "I think we'll skip that one right now." The move is especially surprising given that Ras-I Dowling (hip) was downgraded to a missed practice on Thursday, suggesting an injury setback.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2614/leigh-bodden

Just happened yesterday. And Ras-I Dowling is on IR as of today.That leaves McCourty (who is not playing nearly as well as his pro-bowl rookie campaign), Kyle Arrington, and Antwaun Molden. Don't even see a 4th CB on the depth chart.

If Arians comes out with some kind of run-oriented ball-control bullshit, I'm going to rip my hair out. They have no one to fear in that secondary. Go after them.

Blog Entries

I have no idea why they would release Bodden at this point - they have guaranteed his salary for the year so why cut him? There must be more to the story...

I bet he isn't unemployed very long

And another hit to the secondary.

Patriots SS Josh Barrett (thumb) has been downgraded to out for Sunday's game against the Steelers.

The Patriots are giving up an average of 6.2 completions of 20-plus yards per game, and the second-worst Cardinals are well behind them at 5.0 such plays per game. Mike Wallace was our No. 1 WR play before this news, with Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders looking like solid bye week WR3s.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4808/josh-barrett

As for Bodden, I actually wouldn't mind having the Steelers give him a look, although I doubt it happens.