Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great MNF Game

Blog Entries

Great MNF Game

At least on paper this should be a really good game. Week 1 last season the Bears ended Matt Stafford's season. He's completely focused on getting some payback. Jay Cutler is going to have a tough time throwing deep against this Lions D-line. To make it worse Nick Fairley is making his NFL debut.

What I want to see is if the Bears get back to what worked the second half of last season which was short passes and running the ball. That's really their best chance to stay in this game. My son is a Lions fan so that is where my loyalty lies but I do think this one should be close for a little while since the Lions seem to get behind every week.

Re: Great MNF Game

Curious if the Bears can give Cutler time to throw. Can't see them beating Detroit tonight.

I've got all Lions going tonight in Fantasy, so I'm definitely pulling for them. I also picked them ATS (+5.5 I think).

Also, I don't like much. So I wouldn't mind seeing Suh destroy him a couple times.

Blog Entries

I just want Forte to get me some decent fantasy points, and I'd like to see Stafford get picked a few times.

Blog Entries

What I find fascinating is Detroits approach to keeping Stafford upright this year. They have installed the college spread offense and that's pretty much all they're running. I heard Dilfer today saying he never thought the day would come... but it's here.

Couple links to articles below.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/pos...spread-offense

You have to be an ESPN Insider for this one but I posted some of it below:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story...ad-quarterback

I've been saying for a couple of years that the spread eventually will land in the NFL. We're in a time when the idea that young quarterbacks need to adjust to the NFL game is misguided. Instead, NFL coaches continue to mix in more and more elements of the college game, customizing their offenses for young quarterbacks they can't afford to wait on. People asked whether Sam Bradford would be able to adjust quickly to taking snaps under center, but he completed more than 50 percent of passes his rookie year from the shotgun. I thought Cam Newton in Carolina might provide the ultimate example. Finally, you had a quarterback whom you could put in the spread and let him run at will, and he could handle it because of his size. Instead, the greatest example of a true spread coming to the NFL has been in Detroit in 2011.

Just look at the numbers. Of 161 pass attempts, Stafford has thrown 141 of them from the shotgun, an unbelievable 88 percent of his throws. Without getting into all the nuances of the various spread offenses you see at the college level, I'll say this: In reviewing the film, I've watched every snap the Lions have taken on offense this season (more than once, in fact), and I don't remember a team running a system closer to what, say, Kevin Wilson was running for years at Oklahoma, producing a run of great quarterbacks. Even New England isn't quite like this, and Tom Brady is in the shotgun constantly. But that's what the Lions under offensive coordinator Scott Linehan are doing this season.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Chicago wins big.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

One to watch with the sound muted.

Listening to Gruden slobber over Suh every single snap is enough to make me want to hurl. Not that Suh isn't a good player but he is so overhyped. Nowhere near Ngata's class yet but to listen to the talking heads he should be in Canton already.

Game looks good on paper though.
    UKRavenGordon's Gametrips

2009 v Cleveland W
    2010 @ New York Jets W
    2011 (January 2012) @ New England AFCCG L

Blog Entries

So far this game has not delivered. Never seen so many penalties, challenges and delays. And after all the press about Detroit running the spread, Stafford has been mostly under center.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

I attended the Jets/Ravens game. Was watching that game on television this bad? Although, I am glad to have a game to watch.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

For those who thought the first quarter of the Jets game ran long, I invite your to turn on ESPN and watch this nonsense.

Megatron is unreal.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Brandon Meriweather may just be the worst safety in the league.

Between his poor tackling and him constantly launching himself helmet first into people, it's no wonder the Pats let him go.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 10-10-2011 at 09:40 PM.