Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

RIP Al Davis (merged discussions)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/70...-cause-unknown

sad day for the nfl. recent years aside, davis helped shape the nfl as we know it. cause of death is unknown at this point.

"just win baby"

Re: RIP al davis

Oh wow... Rest in Peace

Blog Entries

espn has it.

I shouldn't be, but i'm shocked. The raiders were just starting to turn themselves around.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

5. Re: RIP al davis

and this is turning out to be one of the Raiders best seasons.. Salute to you Mr. Davis!

Surprised: I had thought that Davis was in his 90s.

This could have a ripple effect on the league. Whoever succeeds Davis will likely be more business oriented. Greater likelihood that the Raiders will now cooperate on sharing the proposed Santa Clara stadium with the 49rs. If that doesn't work out, don't be surprised to see the Raiders jump back to LA.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

how long before we have the first new raiders gm since...the 70s?
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Considering how much he loved his team i'm really glad the Raiders have actually been good this year.

RIP without him the NFL of today doesn't exist.
    360 tag: Ahhhhhhhhnold

Blog Entries

I had the pleasure of meeting Al Davis several times over the years. He was exactly the person you saw on TV. No BS. No public personna. Al was Al.

Al Davis was as influential as any person in the NFL has been over the past 50 years. What has always worried me is that he will be remembered for the past 10 years and not the first 40. He clearly held on too long but there is no way that should impact all that he accomplished for this league. That stubborness and never give up attitude is exactly why the AFL teams wanted him to be their Commissioner. I still believe that he is the main force behind the merger even though he ultimately was against it and thought that the AFL would eventually bury the NFL.

Al Davis will never be duplicated. The NFL is a duller place with his passing. RIP Al.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    how long before we have the first new raiders gm since...the 70s?
    70's? Try mid-60's

11. RIP Al Davis

to one of the great owners of all time

Re: RIP Al Davis (merged discussions)

I was reading his obit and didn't know this. He was an assistant coach with the Baltimore Colts at age 24.