Blog Entries

Into the past, and a look ahead.

Into the Past.

1.) What was Head Coach Raheem Morris thinking when he decided to run the two minute offense for the majority of the second half? It seems that we see mistakes, such as this, from many head coaches who have recently gained success. They begin to over-analyze their strategy. LeGarrette Blount was a key reason for their success last season. His emergence as their first string running back, helped to take pressure off of Josh Freeman. Now, rather than utilizing Blount in a way that his strengths can be in effect, they run the two minute offense, where Blount is not as effective due to his need to develop his pass protection abilities. Blount only had five carries. Morris reportedly questioned his own decision after the game. I would too.

2.) Tony Romo was supposed to be the piece that Dallas was missing, whose inclusion would help them put together more victories than last season. He was not supposed to be the reason why they lose games. It must be very frustrating for Cowboys' fans, especially when one considers the throwing ability of Tony Romo.

3.) Last night, we as fans had the opportunity to see the real Kyle Orton. He is an average quarterback that has amassed many of his statistics late in games when Denver trailed. When the game was on the line, last night, Orton made a barrage of questionable decisions with the football. Kyle Orton provides a very good example of why looking at statistics alone will not give you an accurate assessment of a player.

4.)
    From the moment they made their first pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, I have questioned the Broncos decision to pass up Marcel Dareus, in favor of Von Miller. I gained the sense that they were following the trend of the league to a fault. If you look at the three best defenses in this league, they all have one thing in common that makes them difficult to deal with. Pittsburgh, New York and Baltimore can all effectively play run defense. Quite frankly, you can hardly run on them at all. The game between Pittsburgh and Baltimore, this past Sunday, was a rare case. This leads to one dimensional offenses, where those three defenses can really let their pass rushers loose.

Denver had significant trouble stopping the run last season and play in a division where running the football is becoming more important. During San Diego's reign as perennial AFC West Champions, although they consistently found quality running backs, they set the tone in the division by throwing the football. The other three teams in the division could not match their offense.

Since then, Kansas City and Oakland have both worked to become more physical teams and San Diego was dethroned last year. As it pertains to Denver, Kansas City (Who has Jamaal Charles and Thomas Jones) split with Denver and won the division. Oakland, who has Michael Bush and Darren McFadden, swept the division.

Last night, Jason Campbell struggled, but Denver could not make him pay more dearly for his struggles, because they could not stop the run. Darren McFadden was even breaking free for third and long conversions. I think that, for what that division now requires and for what will be required in the AFC (Now that Pittsburgh, Baltimore and New York are consistently in the playoffs), the move to draft Von Miller instead of Marcel Dareus was behind the times. Now, they have two or three pass rushers, but will still struggle to make ground in the division, because they cannot stop the run and still lack the personnel to develop for that purpose in the near future.

Marcel Dareus is now in Buffalo and could develop a great chemistry with Kyle Williams and, down the road, they could form a powerful interior defensive line.
    Last edited by The Excellector; 09-13-2011 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Grammatical error(s)
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Re: Into the past, and a look ahead.

A Look Ahead

The Atlanta Falcons play the Philadelphia Eagles Sunday Night. Could Matt Ryan and the Falcons fall to 0-2? Can the Iced One freeze the Eagles' wings and gain victory in Atlanta's home opener?

Can the Cleveland Browns rebound from their head scratching loss to the Bengals, to corral the Colts?

Can Drew Brees score enough points to avoid defeat, at the hands of another NFC North power?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Eternal Ring View Post
    A Look Ahead

The Atlanta Falcons play the Philadelphia Eagles Sunday Night. Could Matt Ryan and the Falcons fall to 0-2? Can the Iced One freeze the Eagles' wings and gain victory in Atlanta's home opener?
    I do think the Falcons are better than what they showed this past week. I think they make a game of it. I think they can win their opener.

Can the Cleveland Browns rebound from their head scratching loss to the Bengals, to corral the Colts?
    If the Colts are that bad, even the Bengals can beat them

Can Drew Brees score enough points to avoid defeat, at the hands of another NFC North power?
    I think the Saints win this week.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    I do think the Falcons are better than what they showed this past week. I think they make a game of it. I think they can win their opener.

If the Colts are that bad, even the Bengals can beat them

I think the Saints win this week.
    The Falcons need to win that game, if Michael Vick has a monster game and Matt Ryan struggles and they lose, the media perception about Matt Ryan will change.

Blog Entries

If the Atlanta Falcons do win the game, it may be due to Michael Turner more than Matt Ryan. That is not to downplay Matt Ryan's role on the team. It simply stands to reason with the cornerbacks that Philadelphia has. The Eagles have a weakness at linebacker and, if I am not mistaken, their defensive line is somewhat undersized. If Atlanta tries to get into a throwing contest, they could taste defeat again. However, if they play it smart and run the ball, with Turner and Snelling, they could control and clock, scoreboard and give their pass rushers (Abraham and Edwards) a chance to make Vick earn his pay.
    Last edited by The Excellector; 09-14-2011 at 02:42 PM.

Blog Entries

I expect Atlanta to win since they're home in the dome but I'd be happy to see them lose.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!