Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Gurode Won't Play Much Right Now

This was tweeted by nfldraftupdate, who by the way has been a great source this year

nfldraftupdate Dion Caputi
    #Ravens newly signed C Andre Gurode, formerly of the #Cowboys will be insurance for Matt Birk, Week 1; isn't expected to play much right now

Re: Gurode Won't Play Much Right Now

He doesn't have to. Great insurance policy.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

The way I see it, the ideal situation is to have Gurode learning the offense while remaining relatively safe from injury so that he is ready to go by the halfway point if Birk's knees start to slow him down.

Blog Entries

I don't see the Ravens running much against the Steelers anyway so no reason to put Gurode in for this game. Going forward though I'd like to see them transition away from Birk. Especially if they want this to be a power running team.

Is that the same guy that tweeted that Mark Herzlich was signing with the Ravens?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz View Post
    He doesn't have to. Great insurance policy.
    PR, your 2 sentences say a lot. It may also indicate that the Ravens don't have much confidence in Mattison @ Center. After all, he did take most of the snaps during the exhibition season... Bc

The Ravens got Gurode for a steal.
    Relatively speaking.
    He was about to cost the Cowboys 5.5 Mill against the cap.
    We signed him for $1.5M up to $3M with incentives.
    I'll take it.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I don't see the Ravens running much against the Steelers anyway so no reason to put Gurode in for this game.
    I think the Ravens will run because they have to to open up the passing game. Whether they are successful at running is a different question and one that can't be answered until after the game. I, of course, am optimistic that we will be able to run on the Steelers.
    I root for the Steelers; I root for their plane to go down.

I'd rather be dead than pessimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I don't see the Ravens running much against the Steelers anyway so no reason to put Gurode in for this game. Going forward though I'd like to see them transition away from Birk. Especially if they want this to be a power running team.
    I have no idea how much we'll run this Sunday, but I pretty much agree with your take on Birk/Gurode. I've thought that Birk's performance last year showed a dropoff. Now add to that his recent surgery and I suspect the best that can be hoped for is that he'll finish this one last season in one piece before retiring. I'm guessing Gurode will play more and more as the season wears on. He isn't a whole lot younger than Birk, but may buy us a couple of years as a quality veteran center.

10. Re: Gurode Won't Play Much Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    I have no idea how much we'll run this Sunday, but I pretty much agree with your take on Birk/Gurode. I've thought that Birk's performance last year showed a dropoff. Now add to that his recent surgery and I suspect the best that can be hoped for is that he'll finish this one last season in one piece before retiring. I'm guessing Gurode will play more and more as the season wears on. He isn't a whole lot younger than Birk, but may buy us a couple of years as a quality veteran center.
    Birk's knee was the reason for his drop off last year...If he starts getting owned by Casey Hampton, my bet is they are going to insert Gurode next week if not during the game this week. JMO

11. Re: Gurode Won't Play Much Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by Tspot-D-Ravenator View Post
    Birk's knee was the reason for his drop off last year...If he starts getting owned by Casey Hampton, my bet is they are going to insert Gurode next week if not during the game this week. JMO
    ehh, they'll give Birk more then a week. Gurode is sorta like this years version of Chris Chester right now.... except he can actually block at the point of attack, unlike old $20 million dollar CC.

Anything twittered, twatted, tweeted at this point in disinformation......not buying anything that I read online.
    Way Down South in New Orleans