Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Blog Entries

Re: Jaguars to release David Garrard

The news of David Garrard's expected release has left me with a few thoughts:

1.) This was not a Jack Del Rio decision. The reality is that, while he tried to speak positively about the Blaine Gabbert selection, that was not a Jack Del Rio decision either. Del Rio's time in Jacksonville has been nearing its end and we have seen it coming for a while. His only chance to save his job was to win the division last year and when they had it in their grasps, the Jaguars let is slip away. It was in a similar fashion to the Ravens, except that it cost Jacksonville the playoffs and that organization is struggling more.

2.) This goes to show you how important it is to pick and develop a quality QB from the draft. Look at how many good coaches have lost their jobs, because they did not hit on their QB. Del Rio left Baltimore and found himself in a similar situation with the Jaguars: with a top 5 defense, top notch RB and a weakness at QB that kept him from getting over some of the major hurdles.

3.) This is also, yet another example of why you do not break the bank for a player, especially a quarterback, after one good season. Kansas City broke the bank for Matt Cassel and he is arguably the weakest part of their offense. When that young team needed a leader, Cassel completely crumbled on the playoff stage.

4.) Yes, David Garrard has led the Jaguars to a playoff victory against the Steelers. lol.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

The Jags are insane.. McCown is not going to light up and defenses, and Gabbert made a career of the dink-n-dunk offense at Mizzou.

I guess when a guy is due $9 million and you might have trouble making salary payments later this year in your shithole of an NFL city, you dump the highest paid guy on the team.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    The Jags are insane.. McCown is not going to light up and defenses, and Gabbert made a career of the dink-n-dunk offense at Mizzou.

I guess when a guy is due $9 million and you might have trouble making salary payments later this year in your shithole of an NFL city, you dump the highest paid guy on the team.
    Yup. You nailed it. The Jags even came out with a statement saying this was not about money. As soon as they said that everyone knew it was about money.

I feel back for Jack. He's a very good coach and this is going to cost him his job.

Blog Entries

One other thing. Why dump on the last day they can dump vets instead of at the start of camp? Simple, to sell tickets. The Jags always have a tough time selling tickets. While Garrard isn't exactly a draw, dumping him at the start of camp would really send the message that this is a complete rebuilding season. Now those customers have already bought their tickets and can't get their money back. It must suck to be a Jaguars fan.

The NFL needs to give up on that experiment down south... :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mjones73 View Post
    if they can't sell tickets with a perennial 8-8 team (which is roughly what they have been) wait until they win 4 games. It'll be a ghost town.

By the way, Pat Kirwan says Garrard shoudnt sign with anyone now. He should keep himself in shape and wait for a team's QB to go down to injury. Then he can name his price. Might be something to that

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by mjones73 View Post
    It will forever anger me that this is the franchise that should have been ours.

8. Re: Jaguars to release David Garrard

I don't get this move. Gerrard is still 'ok,' so why not stick with him until Gabbert is ready? Putting McCown in serves no purpose (unless they're 'grooming' a future back-up?).