Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mattison = Gregg

He seems to be a similar kind of player, making the best of his opportunity and working hard wherever the team puts him.

I just wonder how smart he is and how well he can make the line calls at center.
    Being between Grubbs and Yanda has got to be a big advantage for him.

Blog Entries

Re: Mattison = Gregg

I'm not saying it won't happen but that is very high praise. He wasn't all that good in the preseason. I would at least wait and see how he plays in a real game before making a comparrison like that.

Blog Entries

Gregg was a guy who didn't seem like he'd fit as a NT. He was big, but not a mountain. The difference was that he gave it 1000% and his work ethic and passion made up for what he was lacking in size/strength.

Mattison is a guy who started as a DL. He wasn't making much progress there, so he went along with switching to OL. That's a tough switch, but he's given it 110% since being moved. I wouldn't say he's quite to the level Gregg was. Gregg was a bonafide starter. Mattison has held his own in preseason, but I'm not sure I'd want him as the starter long term this season if Birk goes on IR.

That said, he has been pretty good in the preseason. At least as good as the other starting linemen.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

He wasn't particularly imposing on the d-line. And I don't think he will be at C either. But It's a position that requires recognition of defensive fronts/blitzes, some smarts, and enough physicality to not get run over and at least "get in the way."

IMO, the expereince on the other side of the d line may have helped his transition. I don't think they would have moved him if they thought he was a dummie.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by duffybr View Post
    He seems to be a similar kind of player, making the best of his opportunity and working hard wherever the team puts him.

I just wonder how smart he is and how well he can make the line calls at center.
    Being between Grubbs and Yanda has got to be a big advantage for him.
    This is the key. If you look at wunderlic results each year, Olinemen always score the highest. By a lot. Does Mattison have the smarts to be an effective Olineman, especially the center or is he a stop gap?

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Gregg didn't make much impact in the NFL until his 4th year in the league. He was a slow starter who just kept working and getting better until you couldn't keep him on the bench any more.

I'm not saying Mattison or anyone is the next Buddy Lee, but it's possible that Mattison is following a similar pattern.

Mattison was probably lucky to be on a unit (offensive line) that was thin on depth. That enabled him to hang around instead of being cut, and it looks like he seized the opportunity to work hard and get better. He's not blowing anyone away with talent (yet?) but there seems to be agreement that he's a solid backup center now which is a lot more than most of us expected. And who knows, maybe, like Gregg, he'll continue to improve.

I saw the thread title and hoped there'd be a video of him body slamming Michael Vick.

Sadly, with him on the OL that day will never come.

Comparing Mattison to Gregg kind of reminds me of comparing Kruger to Dan Cody.

Just sayin'.
    Last edited by festivus; 08-31-2011 at 12:48 PM. Reason: ... as in, why not Edgar Jones? The TE/LB? Or is there something else they have in common...
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I saw the thread title and thought it was a cryptic update on our former defensive coordinator.

I differ from GOTA a little, because I though Bryan played fairly well against some decent competition. Better than I expected for sure.

Does that put him on the same career trajectory as Kelly Gregg? That's probably a stretch. Mattison is probably a closer comparison to Edgar Jones -- a guy who came in as a defensive end, survived on the practice squad, fought his way onto the active roster, and then changed positions over the the offensive side, and even got some playing time when injuries savaged the tight ends corps. I see Mattison as more of a survivor who could get a chance due to Birk's situation and due to a lack of other compelling options. Just like Ed Jones. And he could be adequate as a stop gap. But it's hard to project him having a Kelly Gregg-like long career as a starter.

By the way, there is nothing that says the center has to make the line calls. Jon Ogden made the line calls for the Ravens for years.

I thought I've seen Mattison making them this year.

I'm not saying he is as good as or will last as long as Gregg, just that they both have desire and a work ethic instead of raw talent.

He may be a career backup but he's tough

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    IMattison is probably a closer comparison to Edgar Jones -- a guy who came in as a defensive end, survived on the practice squad, fought his way onto the active roster, and then changed positions over the the offensive side, and even got some playing time when injuries savaged the tight ends corps. I see Mattison as more of a survivor who could get a chance due to Birk's situation and due to a lack of other compelling options. Just like Ed Jones. And he could be adequate as a stop gap. But it's hard to project him having a Kelly Gregg-like long career as a starter.
    All he needs to do now to really get the Edgar Jones trophy is to really work on and get good at long snapping. I don't know of a team who has a long snapper as the back up center. Seems like there has to be, and LS is probably emergency center but I can't think of any primary back-ups.
    If he masters that skill he could be a Raven for a long time.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Lets face it, Burk doesn't have alot of time left on those knees. Maybe a year or two at best. Mattison is in the lineup and knows the offense and as it has been pointed out before, being in beside Yanda doen't hurt. Ray Lewis once said give me a guy with average talent but alot of heart and I'll win you some ball games. You have to admit; he has heart and will only get better.

Blog Entries

To be a guy that is learning a new position, I have been impressed with him. Is he our long term replacement for Birk? IDK. Only time will tell. He's been ok but not good enough to give him that label. But perhaps with a little more time, it will work for him.