Thread: Madden 2012

Madden 2012

I broke down and paid the 25 dollars to download the game three days earlier. I have to say it is the best one so far.

I play franchise all the time and this year is far and away the most fun I've had with it. You have to scout players instead of just looking at those graphs from last year. There is the chance that the scouts are wrong though and you wind up with a receiver drafted in the first round that sucks despite them having an A improvement rating.

Gameplay is improved too. Play action passes actually work, which helps a lot. Teams play you differently depending on what your roster looks like. In my second year Flacco went down in the preseason for eight weeks with a broken collar bone. Terrelle Pryor is my back-up. Now that he's starting, teams are bringing their safties down into the box, stopping Ray Rice. The first year it was rare that teams stacked the line but now they are.

And finally, I'll give you some ideas on how to improve the Raven's roster. Green Bay wants to trade Raji. Do it. The Jags want to trade Tyson Aloe. Do that too. Then trade Raji to the Falcons for Julio Jones and their rookie RB. Turn around and trade Boldin to the Falcons for Raji.
    There are some rookie free agents you should grab.
    Marvin Austin and Muhammad Wilkerson are DTs.
    Casey Matthews at LOLB.
    I believe I picked up Pat Angerer as a free-agent during the preseason cuts as well.
    Rahim Moore was a rookie free-agent I signed. Change his position to strong safety and he'll be your starter.
    If you're like me and love having an extra fullback on the roster, Owen Marecic turns out pretty well.
    Rodney Hudson, a right guard, improves a lot and should become a starter.

Now that's something you don't see very often. Torrey Smith just caught a long pass for a TD. I'm beating the Skins 35-10. It was 28-10 and they fumbled so I ran a play-action where the receivers go deep. Heaved it towards the back of the end-zone and he came down with it.
    Now it's 42-10. Another fumble, another Smith catch down to the 1. FB ran it in.

Time to put in the back-ups.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Re: Madden 2012

How has Jimmy Smith been? I know he's a 76 but he'll def be my number 1 corner, all his coverage attrributes are pretty high with decent speed

I like your trade ideas. What do you trade Raji for? Im pretty good with the trades. So far i have 7 2012 1st round picks and 3 2nd rounders with 3 2013 1st rounders as well.

Jimmy winds up being a solid mid-80s after the second season. He's a shut down type corner.

I can't remember how I got Raji. The Packers had him on the trade block and I traded for him. You might not want to have so many first rounders. Players with high ratings early can bite you in the ass. I got two rookie receivers, both in the mid-70s, with only a C improvement. You're better off looking at the later rounds and finding a diamond in the rough and letting them improve.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

just made, I think, a better trade.

Ray Lewis (only because madden will make him retire after the first season)

for

Det 2013 1st rd pick
    Det 2012 2nd rd pick
    and...
    DT Suh

I've played a couple preseason games thus far. Gameplay seems to be improved, but I'm still not in my comfort zone.

I'm not happy with the Ravens roster even after the first update. Hopefully the 2nd one will fix some things. Cary Williams could likely start for us, and he's in the 50's? Sergio Kindle suddenly only has a C potential? Ray Lewis is a Team Mentor but not a Team Leader? He also doesn't have 99 awareness, but Matt Birk does. Grubbs is mid-90's but Yanda is mid-80's? I could go on and on.

Anyway...I play Madden with the people we already have. I only acquire new players through the draft. I don't trade for players and I don't sign FAs. Like to keep it as realistic as possible - just my personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by BLSmokey View Post
    I've played a couple preseason games thus far. Gameplay seems to be improved, but I'm still not in my comfort zone.

I'm not happy with the Ravens roster even after the first update. Hopefully the 2nd one will fix some things. Cary Williams could likely start for us, and he's in the 50's? Sergio Kindle suddenly only has a C potential? Ray Lewis is a Team Mentor but not a Team Leader? He also doesn't have 99 awareness, but Matt Birk does. Grubbs is mid-90's but Yanda is mid-80's? I could go on and on.

Anyway...I play Madden with the people we already have. I only acquire new players through the draft. I don't trade for players and I don't sign FAs. Like to keep it as realistic as possible - just my personal preference.
    I do the same thing but I do make some moves. I create myself I have to be honest playing football in the back yard I was a shut down corner.
    Also I will trade older players for draft picks. When the final roster comes out to update I will trade Redding and maybe Foxworth. I like to have a good bit of cap space because I am no Ozzie.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I picked up Madden 12 last week. I just joined the next-gen with a PS3 a couple weeks ago, so this is my first 'new' Madden since 2010 (on PS2). So I don't know how many features in 2012 were already in 2011 or even 2010, but I've seen a lot of improvements between the two games.

- Superstar mode is much better. It's nice being able to play the games, and sim all the plays until your guy is on the field. Before you would play it like a normal game, controlling every player, whether your guy was a WR, QB, or 2nd string LB. Feels much more realistic. On the downside, I kind of missed being able to 'select' your parents to influence your stats and pedigree. And it seems way too easy to demand trades...seems like everytime I want a new team I get one, whereas in the past you'd have a good shot of getting denied, or no team showing interest, etc.

- Ultimate Team is...interesting. I used to play a lot of customizable card games growing up (nerdy, I know), and it feels the same. Custom lineups, coaches, stadiums, even uniforms and playbooks. Being able to trade or auction cards. Really fun.

- Only been through one franchise season, but I see the drastic improvements. Better AI from other front offices. Expanded rosters. Trading future draft picks. More hectic FA bidding (that was really a shock). Draft process feels about the same, but overall it's better.

And of course, gameplay is improved.

So as much as people say that EA is just repackaging the same game every year with new rosters, I don't agree. It's a much better game now than it was just a couple years ago, at least in my experience.

The franchise mode is much improved, but the expanded rosters bring in unwanted issues. If a team doesn't start with the 75 max, the cpu signs fake undrafted fa's. Some of them are starters, 90's ratings, and will beat out real players who should make the team. This may bother some people and it can be read about at length on the operation sports forum. The simple solution is to edit all the fake players to punters and the cpu will cut them. If your into a realistic experience, like me, you may want to take the time to do this. Also, when you start your franchise, i would use the first roster update so that you have the Ravens or other team's real udfa's. Once the season started the roster updates change to 53 players.

Also, I feel that Madden has underrated several Ravens, especially Jimmy Smith. I adjusted him up to an 80 rating, he's definitely better than a 76, before I started my franchise.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PrimeTime37 View Post
    The franchise mode is much improved, but the expanded rosters bring in unwanted issues. If a team doesn't start with the 75 max, the cpu signs fake undrafted fa's. Some of them are starters, 90's ratings, and will beat out real players who should make the team. This may bother some people and it can be read about at length on the operation sports forum. The simple solution is to edit all the fake players to punters and the cpu will cut them. If your into a realistic experience, like me, you may want to take the time to do this. Also, when you start your franchise, i would use the first roster update so that you have the Ravens or other team's real udfa's. Once the season started the roster updates change to 53 players.

Also, I feel that Madden has underrated several Ravens, especially Jimmy Smith. I adjusted him up to an 80 rating, he's definitely better than a 76, before I started my franchise.

Just for my personal franchise I usually go through and adjust all of the ratings of all the players.

I think I bumped Jimmy up to a 79 or 81, I can't remember which.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

11. Re: Madden 2012

Games does look and sound a lot more promising than its predecessor. Check on youtube for a review of this game and it's pretty high. Thinking about buying this one over the weekend.

I like some of changes to Franchise mode:
    - Scouting is fun, but I'm not sure why they wouldn't make basic combine info available for every player. Still, it's a decent balance. I feel like I can always identify a few solid picks through scouting and the rest is hit or miss. The end result is you land some good players and some bad ones (like in real life), and if you take your time to go through the whole process you'll usually do pretty well. I've heard of a glitch you can take advantage of to sort players by potential or something to ensure you get a lot of the best players, but what's the fun in that? Might as well play on the lowest difficulty and win by 50 points each game.

- Cut-down days make for some tough decisions, especially if you trade for a bunch of draft picks like I do and have a bunch of young guys who's potential you're unsure of. I like how player potential isn't revealed until you've gotten to the end of the pre-season and done most of the cut downs.

- Trade logic is still a joke. I traded Ray Lewis for 2 1st round picks (2012 and 2013) and I'm pretty sure I could have gotten more. Reading some of the trades here I see I'm not the only one who's had this experience :). As others have suggested, if you want something closer to a realistic experience you need to impose limits on yourself with trades and FA. But it's just a game. It's never going to be completely realistic.

If I find the time I wouldn't mind trying superstar. I did it back on '09 (my last version of madden) and had fun playing as a MLB. You get to do a little bit of everything (cover, run D, pass rush), and unlike offense you're always involved in the play. QB just hands off half the time, RB doesn't have much to do on a lot of pass plays, WR not much to do on runs or when it's thrown to someone else, etc...