Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Planned trip to Baltimore

Hi guys,

I'm new here but I'm thinking of a trip out to Baltimore to see the Ravens playas it's something I've wanted to do for a while now but funds have never really allowed. I'm aiming for the Bengals and 49ers Thanksgiving game as back to back games should give me good bang for my buck! Would also give me an opportunity to do touristy things in Washington for a few days inbetween!

As I have never even been to the States before I was wondering if I could ask some advice of people who have made similar trips before if I may?

The first question is about tickets: Everywhere I've looked (ie through official sources like the Ravens website and NFL.com, all ticket availability seems to be via exchanges. Is this the norm, and if so, are there any ways to pick tickets up for collection? Or would I need to request the tickets are sent to the hotel for when I arrive?

This brings me conveniently to my second question: Accomodation. I've travelled a fair bit and have no qualms with staying in hostels, so I was wondering if there were any places to stay anyone would reccommend? I am fully expecting hostels to be fully booked up when the Ravens are at home but it's worth a shot. If not any cheap hotels in the downtown area worth checking out?

Appreciate any help anyone can offer.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by Ravenblue; 08-24-2011 at 05:20 PM.

Re: Planned trip to Baltimore

I stayed in the Mt Vernon Hotel last year. Not luxury but comfy enough and it came with free breakfast which was a nice bonus. It's about a five minute walk from one of the light rail stops which gets you to the baseball stadium (not far from M and T) in about 5 minutes.

Ticket wise I think some websites would send the tickets over to you before the trip.

You'll have an absolute blast over there, DC is really easy to get to by train too.
    UKRavenGordon's Gametrips

2009 v Cleveland W
    2010 @ New York Jets W
    2011 (January 2012) @ New England AFCCG L

Welcome aboard! I'll try to partially address your questions (I live in Maryland, not a visitor). Pardon me in advance if I have misinterprted any of your questions -- even though its theoretically the same language, there are many British terms which don't have the same meaning here (my son-in-law is a Brit and used to have this problem until he got acclimated to our manner of speech).

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblue View Post
    Everywhere I've looked (ie through official sources like the Ravens website and NFL.com, all ticket availability seems to be via exchanges. Is this the norm, and if so, are there any ways to pick tickets up for collection? Or would I need to request the tickets are sent to the hotel for when I arrive?
    Not sure what "collection" means in your question ... You should b able to pick up tickets purchased from the Ravens ticket office at the "Will Call" ticket booth at the stadium. If you are buying from a season ticket holder, you should be able to have the tickets with new bar codes e-mailed to you for a $3 fee. Here's some info about buying tickets:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/Gamed...e_Tickets.aspx

Note: if you will be going solo, you should be able to pick up tickets to both these games relatively cheaply, if you have the patience to wait until a few hours before kick-off. I would not be surprised to se thousands of no-shows for the Thursday night game, which is a national holiday (celebrating freedom from British oppression!).

This brings me conveniently to my second question: Accomodation. I've travelled a fair bit and have no qualms with staying in hostels, so I was wondering if there were any places to stay anyone would reccommend? I am fully expecting hostels to be fully booked up when the Ravens are at home but it's worth a shot. If not any cheap hotels in the downtown area worth checking out?
    I can't help you with hostels -- I'm not even sure that they exist here. However, assuming that you find one, please be very careful staying somewhere cheap in downtown Baltimore. Drugs & murders are real down there. If you find something that's attractive downtown, you should post the location for comments about the area. (There are some relatively safe areas downtown, esp around the Inner harbor, but the lodging in these areas isn't cheap).
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Thanks for the responses.

Mista T, yes, by 'collection' I meant the 'Will Call' as it seems to be called on your side of the pond! I think that would be my preferred method as I feel more comfortable buying tickets from official outlets, like the Ravens ticket office.

Although I likely will be going solo (I have a friend tempted but he's not sure if he wants to spend so much money on visiting the States again as he has been many times. And he's a Cowboys fan!), I'm not sure I could hold off until late on to buy tickets but with a few hundred dollars/pounds worth of flights to book, I don't want to get there and have problems getting tickets- I think i'll take the easy option, at least for my first (of hopefully many) trip!

I've heard downtown Baltimore can be a bit dodgy like that (and I've had all sorts of people telling me about The Wire, even if I haven't seen it myself! It's probably no different to most major cities though as everywhere has it's areas to avoid) so I'd like to stay somewhere like the harbour. What is the nightlife/bars like in Baltimore? As i'm likely to be on my own, then I can myself wanting to find some sports bars to spend evenings in! I will also check out the Mt Vernon if it's not too far from where I'd like to spend spare time (will be there for a few days at least!)

Thanks to both once again, much appreciated.
    Last edited by Ravenblue; 08-25-2011 at 06:29 AM.

Thanks for the responses.

Mista T, yes, by 'collection' I meant the 'Will Call' as it seems to be called on your side of the pond! I think that would be my preferred method as I feel more comfortable buying tickets from official outlets, like the Ravens ticket office.

Although I likely will be going solo (I have a friend tempted but he's not sure if he wants to spend so much money on visiting the States again as he has been many times. And he's a Cowboys fan!), I'm not sure I could hold off until late on to buy tickets but with a few hundred dollars/pounds worth of flights to book, I don't want to get there and have problems getting tickets- I think i'll take the easy option, at least for my first (of hopefully many) trip!

I've heard downtown Baltimore can be a bit dodgy like that (and I've had all sorts of people telling me about The Wire, even if I haven't seen it myself! It's probably no different to most major cities though as everywhere has it's areas to avoid) so I'd like to stay somewhere like the harbour. What is the nightlife/bars like in Baltimore? As i'm likely to be on my own, then I can myself wanting to find some sports bars to spend evenings in! I will also check out the Mt Vernon if it's not too far from where I'd like to spend spare time (will be there for a few days at least!)

Thanks to both once again, much appreciated.
    There are many here who could better address downtown nightlife, since my idea of night life is usually staying up to watch a movie on TV. I usually stay in the suburbs, for safety reasons and avoiding congestion and parking.

When we go into Baltimore at night, it's either at Howl at the Moon at the "Power Plant Live" area, or almost anywhere in Fells Point. There is a British pub a block off the Broadway main drag of Fells point called the Wharf Rat.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Ravenblue----
    Local USRavens/UKRavens---Mister T, Greg and myself tailgate about a block from each other. Make sure you come early and enjoy the tailgate experience. We have enjoyed hosting all of the UKRavens in the past and look forward to any and all future trips. Fells Pt Raven is heading back to the mother land (England) for a few years after the Pitts opener so you will miss meeting him in the states.

Tickets---I sit with a group of 25 people in section 551 and tickets will become available but usually at the last minute. They sell them at face value--$80. Do what's best since I cannot guarantee you a ticket at this time. If I find out someone is selling a ticket for either game I will post on here. That's great you will be able to catch 2 games in one trip.

I will definately be up for tailgating and meeting others before the games. I'd have loved to take you up on the offer of any spares but seeing as I'm spending £420 on flights (flying in to BWI 19th Nov, flying out of New York just over a week later), then I thought it best to guarantee I get tickets! Just booked some through Ticketmaster and I will be in section 512 for the Bengals game, and 525 for the 49ers. Not the best seats in the house but should be a great experience anyway!

Looking forward to it, especially for such a big game at Thanksgiving!

I can vouch for T and Toe here.

Met them both and travelled to games with both separately. They're good people
    UKRavenGordon's Gametrips

2009 v Cleveland W
    2010 @ New York Jets W
    2011 (January 2012) @ New England AFCCG L

I will definately be up for tailgating and meeting others before the games. I'd have loved to take you up on the offer of any spares but seeing as I'm spending £420 on flights (flying in to BWI 19th Nov, flying out of New York just over a week later), then I thought it best to guarantee I get tickets! Just booked some through Ticketmaster and I will be in section 512 for the Bengals game, and 525 for the 49ers. Not the best seats in the house but should be a great experience anyway!

Looking forward to it, especially for such a big game at Thanksgiving!
    The great thing about M&T Bank Stadium is that there really aren't any bad seats! I'm in Section 510, so I can say you'll have a pretty good view of the game from 512.

I'll add that while I"m more like Mr T (my idea of night life his hitting my local bar for drinks before 10 PM), Fells Point is probably where you want to go to enjoy a "pint" or two. It's a nice water taxi ride from the Inner Harbor.

As for hotels, there are a lot of them in the Inner Harbor area. As long as you stay in the main areas (Inner Harbor, Charles Street), you shouldn't have too many problems because of lots of people being constantly around. I'd just use a website (Travelocity, Orbitz, Kayak) to find a decent hotel. If you get a list of possiblities, PM me and I'll give you my opinions of them, as I work in downtown Baltimore near the Harbor so I know which ones are good and which ones to avoid.

I will be tailgating with Greg, so you are more than welcome to swing by and enjoy the tailgate experience.

And bring that celery! :celery

I fly in from Texas to Baltimore for games and can give you reviews if there is a hotel you're interested in. If you stick with the national chains (Marriott, Hilton, etc) and stay close to the harbour, you will be fine in terms if safety and comfort. If price is not an object or you can get a good deal online, give a look at Admiral Fell Inn or The Inn at Hendersons Wharf. These two hotels are right in the heart of Fells Point thus making your trip much more convenient.

I'm originally from Baltimore and Fells Point is your best option, in my humble opinion, as far as night life. Unlike Ted, I still enjoy a late night of debauchery now and then.

Cheers guys, I ended up going for the Hampton Inn on East Redwood Street. Pretty cheap in comparison to most of the places round the harbo(u!)r area- works out at $100 or so each night for first 2 I'm there, and $130 or so for the Thurs (I assume they've increased the price for Thanksgiving!) so not too bad. I will be staying in hostels in Washington and NY but I'm sure I'll manage to survive in the Hampton. If it all gets too much I'll just hit the indoor pool for a bit... haha!

Not sure how debauched it'd get- mainly just want to be able to watch a few other games while enjoying a beer and a burger or something!

Hope to see you guys tailgating- I'll no doubt be around the stadium fairly early as will need to be picking my tickets up from Will Call at 10.30!

I don't know your hotel area, but let's talk about transportation planning.

Rental cars provide a convenience for getting around, but can be a minor liability in baltimore and an expensive one in the Nation's Crime Capital. Suggest that you consider:

This area is rich in history, museums, architecture. It would take literally weeks to digest what is offered within a 50 to 100 mile radius of Baltimore. Defer the rental car expense for another trip when you want to go outside the Beltways.