Today's article in the Guardian...

Hi Folks

Is there anything to this article's headline, at least from your perspective? Or is this more NFL "smoke-and-mirrors"?

Could the NFL's UK games one day lead to a London franchise?
    The NFL's commitment to London games has prompted suggestions that a franchise such as Tampa Bay may relocate

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2011/oct/12/nfl-uk-london-franchise

Re: Today's article in the Guardian...

This story has run every year in the run up to the Wembley game. The other one is could London host the Superbowl? They must be short of a few ticket sales.

The answer to both is NO !!!

Only a poorly suported team like the Jags would get more fans by moving
    "We ain't stinking Redskins fans in this Town sonny!"

Phil Simm (Inside the NFL) said last season that he thinks there will be an NFL Team in the UK within the next 5 yrs, maybe 10.

Personally i think there will be one within 3 to 4 yrs when another expansion team is made to make the total teams from 32 to 34 teams to keep them even.

Wonder how they will mix up the divisions when this happens. Maybe the RAVENS will have another Rivalry in the Division.

Maybe they will go back to the 6 teams a division a game.

If the UK can support an expansion franchise then Germany definitely can too

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Raven View Post
    If the UK can support an expansion franchise then Germany definitely can too
    Maybe not. Surely the Germans have outstanding facilities to house NFL football, and a built-in fan base of American military & support contractors. Frankfurt A.M. might be as good - if not better - candidate, today, than LA, Toronto, or London.

However, we are 2 decades past the demolition of the Berlin Wall, our deficits have us headed to national bankruptcy, and the stationing of all these Americans in Germany may become a vulnerable target for budget-whackers. Once the large American presence is gone or substantially diminished, would the Germans accept NFL football the way that it is gaining acceptance on the British Isles?
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Get the Concord flying again and it might happen.

Otherwise, it's not logistically feasible.

Wink Re: Today's article in the Guardian...

You may not think it's logistically feasible, and I struggle with jet lag - that's what the arguments had been about laying West Coast teams in the 50s - but the NFL follows the $$$. If the owners conclude that European TV $$$billions are there, they'll relocate expand teams, add bye weeks, do whatever is needed. NFL fans will have about as much say re adding to the London games as we do protesting the mandatory exhibition game scam. i.e.: none
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

This is a stupid idea from a stupid idiot named Greedell. That clown needs to be pasturized ASAP for the good of the game--unfortunately it won't be until his imbecile ideas have lost money for a few years' running that he'll get platinum-parachuted out of the plane...

It won't happen anytime soon. Fact is there isn't the fan base for it and I doubt fans would be patient enough to see an expansion franchise being built up. NFL fans in the UK for the most part already have a team and are committed to it (why else would you stay up until 5am to watch games?), I wouldn't drop the Ravens just because a team turned up in London.

A lot of the Wembley crowd is from mainland Europe / Scandinavia, and they aren't going to come over every weekend for the games (this year's game isn't even a sell out), so you'd end up having to play them somewhere smaller, which I don't think would look all that great for the NFL.
    "Flacco stepping up and throwing deep down the far sideline... CAUGHT!!! Into the endzone, TOUCHDOWN JACOBY JONES!!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by ctulb View Post
    It won't happen anytime soon. Fact is there isn't the fan base for it and I doubt fans would be patient enough to see an expansion franchise being built up. NFL fans in the UK for the most part already have a team and are committed to it (why else would you stay up until 5am to watch games?), I wouldn't drop the Ravens just because a team turned up in London.

A lot of the Wembley crowd is from mainland Europe / Scandinavia, and they aren't going to come over every weekend for the games (this year's game isn't even a sell out), so you'd end up having to play them somewhere smaller, which I don't think would look all that great for the NFL.
    Totally agree on both counts.
    "We ain't stinking Redskins fans in this Town sonny!"