View Poll Results: Who will earn the starting SS position for the Ravens?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tom Zbikowski

7 20.59%
  • Haruki Nakumura

0 0%
  • Bernard Pollard

23 67.65%
  • Ed Reed will play both safety positions.

4 11.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

The Starting SS Position

There seem to be three players, capable of being starting safeties (At one of the two safety positions) on most teams in the league, competing for one Strong Safety position. Haruki Nakumura seems to show the most range and versatility of the three, able to move to CB in the defense's lighter packages. Tom Zbikowski is the least flashy of the three, but may be the best at playing his assignment. Bernard Pollard seems to have the most significant presence near the line of scrimmage.

We can keep this thread going, throughout the preseason, with updates and so forth.

Who do you think is going to win?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Re: The Starting SS Position

Quote Originally Posted by The Eternal Ring View Post
    There seem to be three players, capable of being starting safeties (At one of the two safety positions) on most teams in the league, competing for one Strong Safety position. Haruki Nakumura seems to show the most range and versatility of the three, able to move to CB in the defense's lighter packages. Tom Zbikowski is the least flashy of the three, but may be the best at playing his assignment. Bernard Pollard seems to have the most significant presence near the line of scrimmage.

We can keep this thread going, throughout the preseason, with updates and so forth.

Who do you think is going to win?
    I think Zibi is going to be the starter.

I think all 3 will play a lot though...I think if used right, Pollard and Ruki can be excellent contributers this year.

Blog Entries

Yesterday on SiriusXM Pat Kirwin said the plan is to swap safeties in and out depending on the situation. Pollard would play the run downs and Zibby would come in for passing situations. Zibby was also interviewed and talked about 3 safety sets and other creative things. It sounds like that's the plan instead of having a real starter.

This sounds a lot like what they planned on doing with the ILB spot last year. Harbaugh said that McClain, Ellerbe and Gooden would all switch. Of course Gooden gets hurt and Ellerbe was in the doghouse so it became pretty much McClain for the first half of the season.

Blog Entries

So, the coaching staff is going to try and get as much of that talent on the field as possible. That makes sense.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Eternal Ring View Post
    So, the coaching staff is going to try and get as much of that talent on the field as possible. That makes sense.
    They have 3 safeties with different skill sets. Pollard is the big banger which is what you need against the run. Zibby is the best cover guy which is what you need against the pass. Nakamura has shown ability to come off the blitz and get some pressure. None of them a complete safeties like Ed Reed. It makes sense to mix and match since offenses are doing that. The Jets did a lot of this last year and it worked well for them.

Like GOTA said. I think they will mix in all 3 guys. All of them can do different things well. I think it is a good thing to have all three of them on our team. It will mean we can do many different things. I could see some formations were 2 of them or all 3 are on the field at the same time.

I almost voted for Zbikowski, but Pollard looked really good the other night. Besides since I voted for Pollard, that means the job is a lock for Zbikowski.

I like what I see in Pollard, so far. I think Zibi is hurt again.

Blog Entries

I say chance the flag, 13 men on the field :D

10. Re: The Starting SS Position

If Pollard isn't a starter then why did they acquire him?

Don't the Ravens have various needs that still haven't been addressed and couldn't they have used the money there (OL, backup QB) instead.

You need a SS to be a banger against the pass, too. Ask yourself this, if you are a receiver going across the middle, which of the 3 do you not want to see? That's Pollard. It isn't as though either Zib or Nak has distinguished himself as a better cover man than Pollard.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I think Zibi is going to be the starter.

I think all 3 will play a lot though...I think if used right, Pollard and Ruki can be excellent contributers this year.
    I agree with this, however I wouldn't be surprised if Pollard got a lot of the playing time over Zibby and Nakamura.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.