jon--
I have to agree with those who see Gaither's absence as a plus for the team.

IFF Gaither is "100%" healthy, he exhibits incredible irresponsibility to his employer by not keeping them informed of his health status, weight loss, etc. He also exhibits undesirable traits if he's not doing his "homework" - staying in as good of football shape as he can, being prompt for meetings, etc. In this scenario, it sounds as if the Ravens have a player with an attitude problem. I have no idea whose "fault" it is, but it makes sense to me that the team would divest of this problem.

IFF Gaither is not 100% healthy, and could not pass a physical in Oakland, and is already unable to practice for the Chefs (I'm getting this from what I've read on this forum), then his injuries may be more serious than what those who believe he's healthy think. Yes, Gaither played well a few seasons ago, but my guess is that he was not playing "injured" at that time. I also suspect Gaither was motivated then, simply because he had to prove to the team that he deserved a bigger contract at some point. In any case, it doesn't make sense to me that the Ravens would want to carry an injured Gaither on the roster and at an enhanced contract cost, especially in light of the apparent attitude (or behavior, or whatever term you prefer) issues.